1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2k negative paypal balance after I was scammed by a 3rd party…Help ;-(

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Jayneywaney, Jul 14, 2015.

Hi
    I stupidly responded to a fb job advert to list items for sale on ebay. The guys FB was very legit, 8 years activity, kids etc on his profile. I know people who do this for people so stupidly agreed!
    Anyway very short version. I listed 5 phones, he has had his money paid directly into his bank via me so I am now in negative balance of 2k. I rang paypal immediately as it happened to inform them I had been scammed and subsequently scammed 5 buyers. they have since been refunded by paypal.
    Action fraud and my bank are investigating the guy but the money has most likely been moved on!
    Paypal are now chasing me quite intensely now for the money telling me the agreement was between them and me and they are not interested. They want payment now!
    They said they will involve debt collectors if i don't. If I had the money I would pay it back but I don't so wanted to know your thoughts on.
    Will they refer this to debt collectors and will it ruin my credit score
    They have my bank card details can they try and take it from my bank?
    my ebay and paypal is now suspended so I won't be using it again anyway
    Thanks for your help guys, i feel sick with worry and feel very stupid (Im normally the sensible one telling off others for being scammed! )

Jayneywaney, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They typically will not try and draft it from your bank account. They will use debt collectors and/or file a lawsuit directly depending on what options are available to them in your country, and what's cost effective for them. In the US they use debt collectors and in large cases will get a court judgement which allows them to garnish future wages. Personally, I doubt it would be worth the trouble for $2K, but it's possible.

You may be able to work out a payment plan with them if that's an option. I would make sure to make it contingent on your paypal and ebay accounts being reinstated once it's paid off.

jestep, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  3. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Paypal is a scumbag company, and their fraud department is worthless. I use Paypal to get paid, and that's it. The money goes straight to my bank account (once I withdraw it, of course).

mentat47, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  4. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, paypal will send your debt to a colletion agency. Will it affect your credit, well that depends
    on how good or bad your score already is...If you have a 800+ score, it surely would not lower
    it too something like 600. If they send your debt to a collector, then make arrangements with
    the debt collector by making monthly payments, if you work with the collector, they will not
    post this debt to your credit report, most debt collectors want to get paid, so they maybe
    willing to setup a monthly plan; however, if you ignore the debt collector, then they will report your debt,
    but as long as you are working with them, and making payments, then it will not affect your credit.

I am actually doing this right now. I could not afford to pay the $1800 hosp
    bill, so they sent me to collections, and I am making monthly payments. Some hospitals have just gotten to the point, we want all the money, or we will just go ahead and send your debt to a collector, and be done with it...

dscurlock, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  5. Jayneywaney

Jayneywaney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Guys
    I have a great credit reading so really don't want to damage that. I just don't have the money to pay them back in full so will have to try and sort a payment plan with them.
    Thankyou!

Jayneywaney, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if paypal will work with you or not, if they dont, then they will send it to debt collection, and before that
    debt collector submits it to your credit report, they will try to contact you, that would be the best time
    to work out some type of payment plan with the debt collector. Debt collectors know that people can have
    financial issues, and "if" they are ethical, then they surely will work with you as they want to get paid too, and
    as soon as you get that collection letter, then you need to be on the horn with them working out a payment plan.
    maybe paypal will work with you, i just dont know, and i would expect your paypal account to be limited.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    dscurlock, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This is what Dave Ramsey teaches:

First, you have to keep the lights on and yourself and your family fed (food on the table).
    Second, don't be concerned about the debt collectors. There's nothing they can do (since you don't have money to pay back, anyway).
    Third, don't worry about your credit score. Realistically speaking, why do you need it? You need to look for ways to go through life without worrying about your credit score.

I like what you said. Settle this debt through a payment plan with PP. That's the best you can do under the circumstances.

qwikad.com, Jul 15, 2015 IP
  8. koda10

koda10 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Next time, before to make any transaction, Read This : "Inside Hackerville: Learn How To Buy and Sell SAFELY" and will see how a scammer make the "real transaction" . Take care! 100% Truh, No Lies !

koda10, Sep 2, 2015 IP