1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$299 for yahoo directory inclusion?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by fatabbot, May 23, 2007.

They advertise this inclusion as "millions of potential customers"... Is there anyone in this world who still uses directories to find something?

Also, the $299 is for a REVIEW only, it's not even guaranteed that they list your website...

Anyone here pay for this service? Is it worth the $299/year?
    Is it only a good inbound link or does it bring some traffic afterall?

fatabbot, May 23, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know this as well. Maybe people here could share their experiences. Is there any advantage to listing in Yahoo vs. say Aviva, or Alive?

frankcow, May 23, 2007 IP
  3. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think it makes any sense at all. They don't have the directory as a front page item any more; there's a link to it, hidden in a bunch of links. I don't know that anyone really uses Yahoo any more. I think the $299 is a holdover.

Oh, and as you point out, that's $299 PER YEAR. Pure and simple greed. They could have kept that directory SO up to date with that money. I can't believe anyone still uses that ad-laden system with Google and so many others out there now...

PS> I have listings in Yahoo from the pre-$299 days. Can't say they bring any traffic now. They used to, once upon a time.

davert, May 23, 2007 IP
  4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are probably a hundred other threads on this question, but the Yahoo Directory is considered an authority site by Google (It's one of two paid directories Matt Cutts specifically recommends - botw is the other). A listing can also help your yahoo SERPS.

Direct traffic is minimal for most listings. $299 is a small price to pay for serious sites, but if you only have a few hundred to spend a year, I would probably not spend it on a listing.

mjewel, May 23, 2007 IP
  5. virusrulez

virusrulez Peon

Best Answers:
    i would get listed in 100 directories for that amount

virusrulez, May 23, 2007 IP
  6. Kerry

Kerry Grunt

Best Answers:
    Anyone know how to cancel the listing. I've paid for it for a commercial site for a few years, but I'm ready to bail on it now. But I can't find where to go cancel the reoccurring charges.

Kerry, May 23, 2007 IP
  7. Carlito

Carlito Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's my advice on it - take a look at your allinanchor ranking for your target keyword. If you're actual ranking is well below that ranking, then it's probably because you need to earn a little more trust with Google and that's what a Yahoo! directory listing will provide. I've only listed three times but every time it did show some noticeable ranking improvements on Google.

Aviva and Alive have never showed me similar results - not to say that they don't help - it just wasn't nearly as obvious of an effect as Yahoo dir.

Think of it like this: Google will rank you according to your allinanchor ranking (or better) if they trust that you're site is really what the links say it is. A Yahoo directory listing is a trusted third party saying 'this is not a spam site, this site really is a decent resource about xxx'.

Carlito, May 23, 2007 IP
  8. emmaonline

emmaonline Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because of the price, the Yahoo Directory is not for everybody but I have put listings in there and each time it has helped my site rank better, especialy on the Yahoo search (and a marked improvement in Google SERPs).

The price is high but like Matt Cutts said it is one of the few paid directory that will help you.

I would spend my $299 on here rather than on 100 lesser know directories.

emmaonline, May 23, 2007 IP
  9. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i have made in the yahoo directory for free, but then my site was removed! perhaps they will take it again, i don't know!!
    i did not got any traffic from yahoo directory, also i don't get any traffic from yahoo.com, but then my serps in yahoo search is not all that bad!

aviva and alive gives huge traffic, there is no comparision with these directories and yahoo directories, and the pr in the inner categories of yahoo directory is not all that good either!

it is a waste of money, but then after, alive, aviva, a few more including v7n etc, i may go for yahoo directory as well!

remember, the $300 is only for a year, but then if your site is good enough, may be you can get an extended run also:rolleyes:

uttoransen, May 23, 2007 IP
  10. bigrollerdave

bigrollerdave Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I made close to 20k just by paying for the submission. Once I bought the link my site shot up to number 1 in a few keywords in yahoo. Over time you just drop back down, but I made more then enough to cover the fee.

bigrollerdave, May 23, 2007 IP
  11. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    yahoo shot you to the top for awhile then it might shot you back down is the interest isn't there . worth it if you have a good niche. hmmmm Most of my websites don't even need that much traffic to money ratio. for that short of time.

kirby009, May 24, 2007 IP
  12. I.C.Bratianu

I.C.Bratianu Active Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that 300$ is too much for a listing. I think aviva is better if we speak about price/quality.

I.C.Bratianu, May 24, 2007 IP
  13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Ever since I got listed on Yahoo Directory (I can't prove this, but..) my SERP improved dramatically, I'm now at the top of page 2 for keywords that I was many pages back with. Also, I went from PR0 to PR3, but it could have been coincidence.

Pixelrage, May 24, 2007 IP
  14. winny

winny Peon

Best Answers:
    I have several websites which get listed on Yahoo directory for free and I think 300$ is too expensive. You won't get many visitors for being listed. I do believe that link from their directory worth for SERP result but you can't only depend on it. You'll be disappointed.

winny, May 25, 2007 IP
  15. xlogicgroup

xlogicgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    I opted to stay out of yahoo $299 for a review is crazy!

xlogicgroup, May 25, 2007 IP
  16. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think 299$/year does not worth for a directory but i'm not sure about the yahoo search . it may effect yahoo serp

trichnosis, May 25, 2007 IP
  17. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think I may splurge for one of my SEO clients next month and pay for a listing. I'll report back if it does indeed improve SERPs at all

frankcow, May 25, 2007 IP
  18. speda1

speda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think a Yahoo listing is equal or slightly better than a DMOZ listing. Whether it is worth $299 per year depends a lot on the industry.

I have some old free Yahoo directory listings and a couple newer paid ones.

speda1, May 25, 2007 IP
  19. DidierE

DidierE Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to buy a listing next month. From what I heard, a listing in Yahoo directory DOES boost your Yahoo rankings significantly.

So I guess it's worth a try :)

DidierE, May 25, 2007 IP
  20. SfvCeo

SfvCeo Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm going to purchase it on tuesday... Hopefully it will improve my yahoo ranking. I rank very high on Google, but on Yahoo I'm a few pages back.

SfvCeo, May 27, 2007 IP