1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

24 hours with Adsenselogger

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by alext, Sep 11, 2005.

This software was mentioned in an older thread. I have recently installed it and it is working out quite well with some minor caveats.

Adsenselogger is free open source software. It basically keeps track of pages impressions and clicks. However it also keeps track of which ads were clicked, where they clicked through to, where they were refereed from, the colors of the ad etc. With this tool you can track effects of different color schemes and placement, ctr of specific pages etc.

This is a really nice source of raw and processed ad performance data.

It does have some issues however. It doesn't seem to work properly with link units. That is it notices clicks on the linkunits, but misreports clicks from any adsense ad as incorrect ad formats. So if you use linkunits, some of the reporting will be messed up. I can live with that. This is a known issue and is being worked on.

It uses javascript* to gather info and logs it to 2 local files. Due to the js nature, it has some issues with some browsers. From the support forum it sounds like it is being worked on, but may still have some issues. IE works fine with it though, so it is not a huge issue anyway.

*Some people think that there is a php option that avoids the javascript, however this is not quite correct. You can use php, it is just an include which imports the same javascript from a file, rather than imbedding the js directly into the page. It still gathers data from a js no matter which way you go.

So far I really like this software, and have learned things that will no doubt improve my adsense usage. The price is also right.

(I have no affiliation with this software other than being an end user.)

alext, Sep 11, 2005 IP
    mnemtsas and INV like this.
  2. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just a little follow up.

The problem with the linkunit turns out to be a small problem and a small benefit. Adsenselogger notices clicks on the linkunit, but they are not *real* for pay clicks till the person clicks again and adsenselogger has no way to knowing that.

This can lead to clicks in adsenselogger that do not show in your real adsense data. The way this is useful is that you can get some sense of how many people actually complete the click through process if you use an adsense channel for the linkunit.

The javascript semi-incompatibility with non IE browsers (doesn't effect page display in anyway) does seem to miss some clicks / data so what you end up seeing is not exactly correct.

None the less I am learning a lot about adsense and ad performance with this software. If I started making a lot of cash, I think I would be looking for something a little more industrial strength, but for the moment, it is amazingly useful.

If you are not using any adsense tracking software like this, you owe it to yourself to try it.

alext, Sep 13, 2005 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about the usefulness of these software packages. Your views help a lot, thanks.

T0PS3O, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  4. HoT CoFFe

HoT CoFFe Peon

Best Answers:
    yah i also use this about a month its very nice tool... :)

HoT CoFFe, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  5. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how does this compare to asrep? which use more resource?

dzcap, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  6. veedee

veedee Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting tool. After I read your review, I installed it. But can it report an earning per click?

veedee, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  7. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    No idea, I have never seen asrep.

It does not correlate the click with the amount from the official adsense stats, so not really. You can of course determine the averages from it, but that is the same as doing it with channels and the official adsense stats.

From my casual observation it looks like click values vary by a huge amount, so I am not sure how a real cost per click could be done unless your click volume was very low and you could observe the data real time. Or you might be able to do a collect running averages. Statistics is not my thing. Does anyone know better?

alext, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  8. HoT CoFFe

HoT CoFFe Peon

Best Answers:
    well i think asrep is so boaring its intrface is very diffcult in the other hand adsenselogger simple and easy to use for me.... :D

HoT CoFFe, Sep 13, 2005 IP