1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature Best Answer

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Aug 6, 2011.

To help people find the best answer to a question (and to hopefully help eliminate people answering the same question after it's already been answered correctly), I tossed together a "Best Answer" system.

The thread starter can select a post within the thread as the "Best Answer". If a thread has a best answer, a link is given to the answer within the first post in the thread.

Some things to note...
    • Only the thread starter (or mods/admins obviously) can set the best answer for a thread.
    • It's only available in certain forums (I'll be adding it to other forums later... the initial ones is more of a test).
    • A thread starter can't pick his own post as the best answer. In the case that the thread starter actually DID answer his own question and they want to tag it as such, you can ask a mod to do it for you. This may change, but ultimately don't want to deal with people starting threads when they know they are going to answer it later as a form of promotion spam.
    • It does NOT affect the thread sorting, look or anything else within the forumdisplay page, so it can't be used as a promotional tool.

digitalpoint, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  2. forexaff

forexaff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Nice addition. Probably with a prefix too such as [Question] or something similar so readers will instantly know that its a question

forexaff, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well they can only know there's a best answer if they are already in the thread. It doesn't change the forumdisplay listing at all. If they are already IN the thread reading the first post... they would already know if it's a question or not.

I made it a per-forum setting that way it can't really be abused for dumb things like Buy/Sell/Trade.

Blue Star Ent. likes this.
  4. phpsolution

phpsolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think best answer should be base on voting ?

phpsolution, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nope... it's entirely up to the thread starter (and mods/admins). Besides mods/admins, the person asking the question is the only one that can decide what is the best answer for their them.

Maybe down the road... but for now, I'm keeping it simple.

6. phpsolution

phpsolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay Look Good 

phpsolution, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Man you are an industrious fellow, my hat is off to you.

That said, I have the best answer in a truck load of SEO threads(not at all subjective) but folks don't listen or largely just post things to raise their post count including the O.P.

How is this stuff vetted? Link wheels are bullshit, its a no brainer but I get boatloads of folks trying to sell services right under my posts.( I gather they cant read)

Same thing with the ehh... how about Magento vs. OScommerce argument. Who susses this out?

thanks, and again, I fairly often find myself in fanboi mode but you do some cool shit. Relevancy probability strikes me a as bit thin but I am a math idiot.

And finally, can I have it? lol...

thanks much,
    Nigel

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Nigel Lew, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  8. Chuckun

Chuckun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sweet Shaun! I'm so glad you implemented this.. No more searching through 100page threads for an answer! :D

EDIT: I just went to 'best answer' my own reply on one of my threads because I actually found the answer before anyone else and posted it for everyone elses use.. But I can't. I realise why you did this but still.. Kinda gutting :p But I guess the only way to allow self-chosen best answers would be to have them wait in an approval queue so people don't abuse / self-promote.

Chuckun, Aug 7, 2011 IP
  9. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great feature ! Thanks for adding that to this already great forum...

Blue Star Ent., Aug 7, 2011 IP
  10. Chuckun

Best Answers:
    Shaun, can I also make a suggestion?

When chosing the 'best answer', could there at least be the option for the user to close the thread / stop further replies?  This would stop a lot of the b/s repeat posts.
    If this already happens then forgive me, I haven't used it yet!

Chuckun 

Chuckun, Aug 7, 2011 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The issue with that is people would start incorrectly using it solely TO close their thread.

digitalpoint, Aug 7, 2011 IP
  12. Chuckun

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I see your point.. Perhaps add [SOLVED] or something to the topic title when an answer is chosen then (again, I don't know if this already happens), perhaps that will at least deter the lame folk from posting their pointless answers..
    Chuckun

ps: sorry, I keep spelling your name wrong, all the Shawns I know are in fact Shauns :p

Chuckun, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  13. Chuckun

Best Answers:
    @ Shawn - is there going to be a facility in our profiles that shows how many 'best answers' we have made? :) I think this will perhaps encourage people to make more broad, quality responses.

Chuckun

Chuckun, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ideally yes... we just have to be careful with how something like that is implemented. You will end up with people just trying to get their friends to answer questions they already know the answer to... or even worst, picking NOT the best answer simply because they are friends with them to help them boost their "total best answers" count.

Sadly, we have to factor in the lame stuff like that when we do anything.

digitalpoint, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  15. Chuckun

Best Answers:
    Ah, yeah I didn't really think about that.. Perhaps implement something like the vBulletin rep system has? (ie: "Spread some rep around before giving it to %name% again!").

It sounds flawed (and it is, just like the rep protection..) but not too badly.. How likely is it that the same person gives you the best answer repeatedly? Might happen a few times but it wont be as common as giving the same person loads of rep.. Rep = you like their post, not their post was the best answer.. So perhaps that's something to consider :)

Slightly more labour-intensive for the moderators would be for users to be flagged if they appear to give over x percentage of their "Best answer" choices to the same person(s).. And then independantly check to see if they are genuinely the best answer.. Still, I think the 'spread it about before giving it to them again' option is best..

Chuckun, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  16. psharma

psharma Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As always. Cool addition to the value of the forum.
    You rock Shawn. :)

But may I suggest you this,
    the URL shown in the best answer link is in this format
    Clicking which reloads the page despite a high probability that the destination post exists in the same page of the thread (at least to me as I generally choose 40 posts per page or even more), so why not change it to something in this format
    which will avoid page reload taking advantage of the # link

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    psharma, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Mainly because there is not a way to know if the best answer post is on the first page or not (at least with any certainty).

18. williamsweb

williamsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    so what after the best answer is selected? can't people post then?

williamsweb, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    People can still post. You can even revise what the best answer is (change it).

20. psharma

psharma Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so does not it work when the answer is not on the first page? I have not studied the link structure of vbulletin but I thought that http: //forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=xxxxxxx#postyyyyyyy works doesnt matter the post yyyyyyy is on the first page of thread xxxxxx or not.

but anyways, I have confidence on your skills, whatever you have implemented must be the best possible in this case :)

But have some other suggestions for you too, I will post them in a new thread soon.

psharma, Aug 11, 2011 IP