1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2 Million Posts and counting....

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by RectangleMan, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The stable kind. I have 3 servers. I won't provide more detail than that.

RectangleMan, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  2. Trevor75

Trevor75 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Two million posts...good god! I couldn't ever imagine having that much to say to people, LoL Wow congratulations. You are the posting godfather. ;-P

Trevor75, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  3. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I didn't make all the posts myself.

RectangleMan, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  4. ghazal

ghazal Member

Best Answers:
    That's a big achievement !

ghazal, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  5. profanitytalker

profanitytalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats.

Hack forums are very easy to get members and post so I can see why you reached 2mil+ in such a short time span.

profanitytalker, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  6. profanitytalker

Best Answers:
    Btw I forgot to ask, can you tell me your server specs. I run a forum as well and it is growing at a fast rate.

7. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Is that so? Show me a hacker site that's even close to the size of HF. And since when is 2 1/2 years a short time span? I am now doing 12,000 posts per day but don't think for one second it was easy or that just anyone can do it.

People think creating monster forums like DP is easy as installing software, copying some descriptions and forum structure then you're a success. So much more goes into the success of a large forum.

RectangleMan, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  8. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    please do share the secret of how you reached that milestone!

tech_savvy, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  9. profanitytalker

Best Answers:
    I did not try to offend you but it's easier to get members and post in hacking forums because they are more popular. They are almost like warez sites but a little more legal. However many hack forums still cater to illegal discussions and you should know this by the looks of your forums I saw many illegal threads.

I have a 15 month old forum with around 240,000 post getting 1k post a day and yes I do know how difficult it is to run forums. I never said it was easy to run forums.:rolleyes:

10. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as an "illegal thread"...I see that term used and I have never seen a law about illegal discussion on a website. Maybe in some place outside of the USA but I enjoy the constitutional freedom of speech. You can talk about raping four year olds and it's not illegal. I don't see how discussing security in any way shape or form is illegal.

I worked hard.

RectangleMan, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  11. phorum

phorum Peon

Best Answers:
    How much revenue are you making monthly from Hack Forums, out of curiousity?

phorum, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  12. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    How do you run such a big forum on MyBB? Want to share the hardware that is needed and the modifications done on MyBB?

wisdomtool, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  13. Ally Jones

Ally Jones Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to be an active member on hf and I thought the forum was sold? Are you the person who bought the forum or sold it?

Ally Jones, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  14. DarkZero

DarkZero Peon

Best Answers:
    He's the one who sold it. He's still around to keep it up and running though.

DarkZero, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  15. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    MyBB is a great software. Very little needs to be adjusted. Site is on 3 servers (img, mysql, and httpd).

RectangleMan, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  16. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It feels good to have a forum take off. I also know you have worked long and hard to get where your at. Congratulations.

~kev~, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  17. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    The cool thing too is that I hit another growth spurt. I am now doing 14k posts per day. That's 5 million posts in a year. I'll very likely have more growth too. So I may hit 5 million post total in 6 months and maybe...just maybe be around 8 million a year from now.

RectangleMan, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  18. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know about your site, but my "growth spurts" seem to happen around google page rank updates. Traffic might be steady for a couple of months, then jumps,,, stable for a couple of months,,, then jumps.

14,000 post a day? wow,,, I am very happy for you. Forums like that set examples for other people.

~kev~, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  19. DidierE

DidierE Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RectangleMan, can you please share with us how you got things started in the very beginning? I mean from start (dead forum) to the first real member interactions.

I think it's always interesting to know how a succesful forum like yours started out.

Did you do fake nick posts in the beginning or asked friends to post, etc?

Thx!

DidierE, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  20. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I have PR0. :) Eat that PR fans.

I had my most recent spurt because I finally fixed an annoying MySQL problem that caused me to go down all the time. Site is running fantastic now so traffic and activity has increased.

Neither. I have a network of sites. If I have a site with traffic I try to figure out how I can use. I often interlink my sites and cross promote. This particular site was a mini site in the hacking genre that I paid $40. Site has earned $3k in revenue so far in 4 years. So it was a great buy on it's own. So anyways one day I bought hackforums.net for $20-$25 I think and I decide I'll throw up a forum and try to redirect/capture some of this other sites traffic. Sure enough it worked. Traffic flowed and the rest is history.

I run tight forums and I am an experienced admin. I can recognize trends and how to shape a forum for success. No one claim to be 100% successful with forums because a certain amount of luck is involved. However I have had 6 big success forums with each one more successful than the last. My latest project is with a partner and we are launching a forum network that's going to be very impressive. It's a million dollar project. We have some amazing domains and a top team of designers and coders.

RectangleMan, Feb 2, 2010 IP