1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

18 out of 120+ dirs lists within 1 month

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jim_Westergren, Oct 5, 2005.

I have a directory submission service.

Yesterday I did a check to see if my clients sites has been listed and found out that only 18 of them has listed any of the submissions - 1 month later.

IMHO more than 50% of the directories out there will never list your site.

I think I will change my approach to this service and instead of thinking of the PR of the dir thinking about if submissions get listed or not.

What do you guys say to this?

Jim_Westergren, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I normally submit to people who post theirs here as it general means they are active and the site will be listed.

dct, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  3. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very good point. I did a new check and this time with MSN and it is actually 25, not 18 so it is a little better.

But I will change something on this. Some dirs are going to be deleted from my list and probably I will scan this forum and list all free ones.

4. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I know what you mean, Jim - I started out with a huge list of directories data to mine though back in January and started submitting - even now, a number of even reputable directories still failed to even acknowledge a submission, let alone publish a listing.

I have a list of paid directories that I've submitted to and generally review promptly, but free directories that operate promptly can be a real pain.

Personally, I would recommend a submission model that offers good acceptance rates over submission rates will be more attractive.

I'm also going to open a few more niche directories across my servers for free inclusion, and I'll let you know about these if of interest when I'm ready.

I. Brian, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    Jim_Westergren likes this.
  5. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    Nice article Brian, will explore it further.

I think I know what I will do. Also accept those with low PR on my list that lists submissions and delete some junk. I think I will maybe double my list and double my price - let's see.

6. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually the choice of directories makes the difference. If you check this url :
    info.vilesilencer.com
    and download the excel file, you will realize lots of directories in your list are removed for some reason.

As soon as I realized it stopped creating my own list and now completely depends on Dan's list. From my experience I usually get around 50-65% approval rate in first month.

Just my 2C

Tuning, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    I, Brian and TheHoff like this.
  7. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    Hmm.

In the beginning the reason why I didn't do that was because I didn't want to have a list of 2-3 hundred dirs. I think I just stay with the concept or PR 2+ required and just wait for the PR update and list all those new ones that should have gotten some PR.

8. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These new directories definetly get some PR in next update. Mostly because of tons of directory listings sites. Then why shouldn't we submit to them waiting for getting PR ?

Directory submissions should always be considered for long term use. Hence I guess there is no harm in getting listed in PR0 directories. :)

Tuning, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I just counted 38 email confirmations (either just 'thanks for you submission' or 'you have been accepted' from close to 150 submissions done about 2 weeks ago. Haven't verified any in the SE's yet. E-mail confirmations still trickle in.

IMO it's in the directory owner's best interest to list sites fast. Everything over 1 month is inadequate IMO. If they don't have the time then don't bother.

T0PS3O, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  10. westhaven

westhaven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well i make my own list, no doubt that my customer gets few mails not even 30, but i have been noticing for last couple of monhs that my minimum acceptance rate has raised to 70% in a month. Remember i don gurantee anything.
    It always depends on us how relevant category we choose in directories and how good is the site of our client. Suppose a client gives us a spamy or redirected url then ofcourse acceptance rate would be low. If we submit inner pages to directories then again there are some directories which straightly reject those inner pages of the domain.

westhaven, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  11. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd certainly be more keen to work with a list in order of submission time over PR. Especially in a service like yours where people pay to see results.

The PR for most will certainly rise anyway.

blackbug, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with tops... I am not sure why some of these sites even exist if it is taking months and months for them to review submissions.

I think if someone wanted to get into the directory list business, one that was solely judged on time-to-list would be very useful to me.

While it is nice gravy if sites add you later, from my perspective it is about efficiently using my time. If I have a list of sites that I know will always accept reasonable submissions in a reasonable amount of time I have increased my overall efficiency significantly.

aeiouy, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  13. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Don´t forget to add mine after the update :) I always update my dir.
    Ps, my dir is starting to get visitors now :) I had 1200 Unique for the first month, and hopefully i will have a PR4 after the update.Ds

Marcus_Westberg, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  14. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don´t forget to add mine too. Acceptance rates are lower that other directories, but at least sites are reviewed pretty soon. ;)

muchacho, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  15. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    Of course!
    Well, it is only for free ones but I whish you good luck anyway.

EDIT: Realized it is free, misunderstood you. And actually I added you both now.

muchacho likes this.
  16. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jim :)

Marcus_Westberg, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  17. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    It's makes no sense to only submit to dirs that have PR2+. The highest approval rate is from directories that just started. They will have PR by the next update anyway. So what's the difference? I would understand a bit if you are looking for PR4, but PR2 is like nothing.

Also, by the time that their directory gets PR, owners also start to be a bit more tough on enforcing rules, or rising up the standards, so the approval ratio gets down.

Approval is highly dependant on WHAT site, by whom, in which manner, and whether it follows the rules as for the submission title and description.

I would say 50-75% of the submitters don't even bother to read or follow a short simple paragraph with rules on dirs that I admin.

And as for the dirs that take 3-6 months. The question is: are you (the site owner) here for a long run? If yes, it doesn't make sense to not to submit to the dirs that take long to approve. Though I understand we live in the "increasingly instant, give it to me now, kind of society" .

subseo, Oct 6, 2005 IP
    muchacho likes this.
  18. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Subseo, Great post, I totally agree with that!

And thanks a lot Jim ;)

muchacho, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  19. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    The stats from my directory tracker tool looks a bit more positive than what you've experienced.
    Here is the stats of one of the sites that got submitted and tracked:
    Stats:

Dejavu, Oct 6, 2005 IP
    MattEvers likes this.
  20. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    I agree with you subseo.

And Dejavu, 71% is high ...

Ok. Will rework my service.

Jim_Westergren, Oct 6, 2005 IP