1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$15 for evidence of a worse web host than KVCHosting.com

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Jim_Westergren, Mar 19, 2006.

1. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    Jim,

Sometimes i find archive.org to have fairly reliable backups of sites - if you can't find it on SE caches. Sorry about your crummy experience - i hope you find a good web host soon.

VG

vectorgraphx, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude that really really sucks. Fortunately I've never had a hosting problem, but it is something everyone should be prepared for.

mdvaldosta, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  3. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah. i'd advise everyone to take this "Steve J"'s advice -

BACK UP YOUR STUFF.

Speaking of which - i do have a hosting horror story...

One of our secondary companies that maintains a fair bit of autonomy from our corporate division has their own website - and pays for their own hosting. It's a Freight Logistics & Intermodal brokerage site - and they move millions of dollars worth of freight every few months.

Well, they have alot of sales reps around the country - who all log in to their website via the internet - and they have a VERY large mysql database that powers literally thousands of queries a day solely from sales reps - and the majority of their recordkeeping goes on via a web interface with this database.

The host machine lost a HD a month or so back, and they were down for about 48 hours while the host restored from a backup.

No big deal.... kinda irksome - but hardware dies and everyone understands that. we were patient and forgiving.

Well... 48 hours rolls around - and lo and behold! the website comes back online! Much rejoicing!

Um... wait a minute.

Where is the past 6 MONTHS of data??!??!?!? (remember.... $$$ millions....)

host's reply... "um... well, the most recent backup we had was.... from 6 months ago. sorry for the inconvenience."

wow.

Anyways, in my OWN defense, if it were one of OUR sites - i.e. a site related to our primary corporate presence, we would have had it on a redundant raid array, with daily backups to tape STANDARD, in a temperature controlled environment with top of the line equipment - and 24 hour human monitoring. But that's just the way we do things...

We're now cutting through the LONG stream of red tape to bring the secondary site into our internal server barn... but that's another story. It's very political and i can't even BEGIN to understand the complexities there.

VG

vectorgraphx, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  4. pkchukiss

pkchukiss Peon

Best Answers:
    Your host sounds like those kind of wannabe start-ups of the late 1990s. A full-time university student running this as a side host, answering customer calls in between lectures and hacking at the Windows computer in his basement used to host all his clients' sites.

Thanks for the heads up, I already use a host that caters reasonably well to my target markets. It has relatively good connectivity to the USA, but is geographically (and hooply) close to Singapore to enable local users to link up fast enough. PM me if you want to know what host it is. So far, I have not much trouble with them, and their track record of 8 years is very reassuring.

pkchukiss, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    His argument for raising prices :"you can afford it". LOL

Blogmaster, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I recently had a nightmare experience with Hostgator. First they told me to delete a site from my admin panel. Then they told me I should not have, then they charged me $15 to have the backup restored, then it turned out the database was not backed up. Then they had a problem with my RSS feeds, so they started banning my hosting account, then they started messing with the code on my sites trying to disable the RSS feeds. Here is the link to a more complete detail on what happened. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325706

jg123, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  7. mihaidamianov

mihaidamianov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Holy cow, that story is scary.. Sorry you had to go through it.. Bad hosts are everywhere. That includes big names..

mihaidamianov, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  8. keltin

keltin Peon

Best Answers:
    This is like adding salt to a wound. :

http://kvchosting.com/clients.html

Jim have you asked him to remove the testamonial?

keltin, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  9. mihaidamianov

mihaidamianov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    h..p://kvchosting.com/resources.html

OMG, where did you find these guys?!?!?!

mihaidamianov, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm just wondering if the files were ever recovered ...

Blogmaster, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  11. surfsafe

surfsafe Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone used gisol.com for hosting? I have paid $125+ for a package and never heard from them. My paypal clearly stated the successful transaction and I receive email from gisol stating that the transaction is unsuccessful.

Have raised a claim via paypal, but so far, has not heard anything.

Anyone has similar bad experience with gisol.com or something is wrong somewhere?

surfsafe, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  12. seofish

seofish Peon

Best Answers:
    KVCHosting is changing its owner and the whole company structure. Sold to someone

They offers very good pricing for a hosting. I have read couple reviews and i have tested their free hosting and i would say GREAT.

Speed and Reliablity is Top Noch. I never have down time with them for past 2 months now

Test it yourself to prove me wrong

seofish, Apr 22, 2009 IP