1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

122,000 domains -> 1 landing page?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by exam, Jun 2, 2005.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I am just amazed. First, check out this Google search where I am apparently seeing that someone has 122,000 domains pointing to the same landing page. How is this not discounted as dup. content (apart from the fact that each page is slightly different)? How does someone make money from this? Do they make a general page promoting dozens (hundreds?) of affiliate programs? Or are the landing pages some kind of program/affiliate scheme in and of itself? Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. :)
    BTW, they don't have bad page design, hey- it almost inspires confidence.

exam, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a domain parking service. People with undeveloped domains park it there and it sets up auto pay per search/click program and they get % from it.

City2, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  3. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for moving the post Shawn... and now that I think about it, I guess all those domains don't have to belong to the same person.

exam, Jun 2, 2005 IP
  4. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    I own about 350 domains, not much compared to some people I know.
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of those domains are owned by the same person. I know of a bunch of people that own of 10,000 domains, a couple of people that own 300,000 domains....

Lucky Bastard, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  5. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the point of owning ten gazillion domains?

letsmakeamillion, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  6. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay Per Click (PPC) income.

One of the guys with the 300,000+ domains (type-in .com domains mostly) was making $30,000 a day out of PPC. Not sure what he is earning now.

Lucky Bastard, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  7. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Well personally I hate these companys and people that get domains just for PPC. There have been so many domains I want, but yet taken so someone can earn a few dollors :mad:

soapbath, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  8. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand is that these guys get their feeds from overture. I mean does overture want to place their ads on these kinds of sites??

WhatiFind, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  9. i30

i30 Guest

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Domains are being wasted like this, but I suppose they can be bought off the owner for the right price.

i30, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  10. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    The right price is sure to be more than the $10 most people can afford.

soapbath, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  11. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    So what you're saying is that because I have a domain that makes $25 a day, I should just let you have it for like $10 just because you would like to have it. :eek:

Caveman, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  12. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    That is really interesting. Though all those domain names are legit, so they pass. Interesting, it seems as if he/she mostly has put info on a construction page. With the same stuff over and over, but to have 122,000 domains! Thats some serious money to be spent! lol Even with the cheapest domain stuff, you'd likely pay out ohh about $400,000! :confused:

isaiasd2003, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  13. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    How can you guys buy like 10,000 domains without spending atlease $50,000 dollars or more!?! :eek:

isaiasd2003, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  14. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If you certify yourself as a registrar it gets a lot cheaper. I think you need somewhere around $50,000 in liquid cash and a legitimate business plan in order to get set up. Once you have gone down that road, it's your job to manage everything, but you are only looking at the ~$.75 fee to register domains.

nevetS, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  15. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Just today I was wondering what it would take to become an ICANN registered registrar... interesting. I will have to think about this one.

exam, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  16. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I bet you could get together with 5 or 6 people to put something together. If you really want to go down that road, let me know. I'm too busy to put a project like that together, but I might be able to round up a portion investment cash with the right scenario.

nevetS, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  17. FusionX

FusionX Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its really not that easy to become an ICANN accredited domain registrar. You need slightly less than $100k in cash PLUS a technology platform in place PLUS working capital requirement which is way higher. Go through the accredition process and then you can start registering domains at $6 per domain or sell domain registration at any price you want.

Regarding an average domain that makes say $1 per day in PPC revenue, the sale price could range from $300 to $1500. Its almost like a business. You value a business at a profit multiple of yearly earnings. For domain names, the revenue multiple normally ranges from 8 months to 60 months. But, if the domain is too generic, say something like "carinsurance.com", the value goes much higher than 60 month revenue multiple.

Again, I see nothing wrong with managing a huge portfolio of domains for PPC revenue. Personal likes/dislikes apart, they are a legitimate form of investment (almost similar to real estate) and a really good way to make money. After all, don't we like free markets theory :)

Hope this helps.

FusionX

FusionX, Jun 10, 2005 IP
    davedx likes this.
  18. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    It is more like $6 the ICANN 'tax' alone is now .25

jbw, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  19. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I have in my desk an ICANN application that is 90+% ready to send off. What stoped me was a few things like actually getting an insurance quote, I could not even get insurance agents to return my calls as they just had no clue what the business was. Then one of the investors pulled out and I got too busy to try and revive the effort. Given some of the recent policy changes at registrars I am getting real tempted to do so.

jbw, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  20. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't have the time (or the money) to go for it right now, but it does sound like an interesting option which I will definitely keep in mind.
    Are you sure about this? I don't doubt you, it just seems like a small profit margin as lots of registrars sell domains in the $5-$8 range.

exam, Jun 11, 2005 IP