1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1123 emails today - am I being hacked or what?

Discussion in 'Security' started by powwka, Nov 8, 2006.

I just checked one of my site's email, and there are 1123 emails. It looks like most of the subjects say something about FAILURE NOTICE. I don't want to open any of them in case of a virus or something. How did this happen though? Did somebody log into my account and send out spam emails? My website looks normal.

powwka, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  2. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    An email spammer probably used your address in the reply field so you're getting the rejects. If in fact that happend be prepared for some nasty replies from the victims who don't know enough to tell that it wasn't really from you.

If you use mozilla thunderbird for email you can probably open them with no problems and possible figure out where they originated from.

-jay

classifieds, Nov 8, 2006 IP
    powwka likes this.
  3. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's what happened I guess. I read an email and it said the reply address was and I set up my account to be catch-all, so that's why I was getting all those emails.

powwka, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  4. j0ned

j0ned Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you run your own SMTP server, someone could be using it as a relay. Check your outgoing message que. Made that same mistake on a new virtual dedi. Within 2 days of setting up the mail server I had over 1.2 million emails qued up for sending. No telling how many had already been sent :p

j0ned, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  5. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using GoDaddy's email service. I checked my sentbox and there were no messages that I didn't send, so I'm good now :)

powwka, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  6. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a day, huh? I use GoDaddy for my email and am seeing the exact same problem. It really started last week for me and has slowed down today. Odd, huh?

Phynder, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  7. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    It could just be a report when you have sent an email out and then the remail has been bounced back because it coul dnot be sent.

Thats one idea atleast

Kalyse, Nov 21, 2006 IP