1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1000 posts... how long?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jhmattern, Nov 22, 2006.

I'm pretty happy so far with how the freelance writing forum at www.allfreelancing.com is going. But I have no idea whether it's actually "good" or not in a general forum sense.

It's looking like we'll break 1000 posts today. We haven't used any paid posters. Only 4 posts were made in the very beginning from a fake account. And it was only launched 2 1/2 weeks ago.

How long is "normal" to get to that 1000 post level, w/o buying paid posts? Is there such a thing as "normal"? The benefit is that the members are all writers, so they obviously like to write, which makes for longer and better posts and discussions. :) I'm just trying to guage whether we're doing alright, or whether I need to seriously kick things up a notch.

jhmattern, Nov 22, 2006 IP
    disgust likes this.
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    there isn't such a thing as normal. completely depends on the niche.

that said, usually getting the first 1,000 posts is a lot harder than getting the next 9,000 :)

disgust, Nov 22, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  3. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems quite good. How did you spread the word?

Kalyse, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  4. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree. There is not such thing for normal. Forums can be slow at first or take off in a flurry depending on the niche. If you are almost to 1k of posts kudo's. The thing is not to get disappointed in lull's either.

Btw - kudos for getting where you are in not using a paid posting service. If so many can be so lucky.

lpstong, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, we've been yapping so much in the time since I posted this that we already broke the 1000 mark. Yay! :D

As for how I spread the word, it was easy. Because the forum was for writers, and I run a small writers' network, we discussed it there first (especially b/c we're running a Challenge, and wanted somewhere to be able to chat publicly about it other than on the blog). So a few of them jumped right in, and since we're all writers, discussions picked up quickly. :) We have a private marketplace and post daily writers' markets there, so people are registering just to be able to see those too, which is helping. So far I haven't had to spend a dime, so that's always good. ;) I'll be putting more things in the private area as incentives probably next month. I just wanted an idea if I needed to really push harder, or if this was already ok discussion-wise. Glad to hear we're not flopping completely or anything. :)

jhmattern, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  6. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    very difficult initially to reach 1k posts.
    it should take around a 15-30 days , later probably more quick, next 9k shd come in about 2-3 months :)
    active and regular members could drive the forum well..

forumrating, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Well it sounds like we're off to a good start then. :) Thanks. Solid numbers will at least give us something to strive for. :)

jhmattern, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  8. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just ensure that the activity is there every day
    atleast like 10-15 new posts daily :)
    that would drive people to reply them and interact more

forumrating, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  9. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think you have success about getting first 1000 post. i have opened a forum but it didn't get first 1000 posts yet;)

trichnosis, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We easily get more than 10-15 posts per day. A few of use are probably doing more than that daily on our own - as in each separately (not over the holiday... but otherwise). ;)

jhmattern, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  11. JKhoury

JKhoury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's definitely no such thing as normal. It all depends on the target audience and niche, however you seem to be expanding healthily.. I had a forum that peaked 1000 posts in 7 days which I also considered to be quite healthy. You might want to take a look to see if the posts are coming from the same members or via a broad range of users. By the way, how many members do you currently have?

JKhoury, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    When I made the original post, 29. As of this morning 38. Most are active, but the mods and myself post the most out of the bunch. And speaking of which, we laid low over the holiday, so I need to go light a fire in there today. :)

jhmattern, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  13. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats, it's easier to get a lot of posts early when you're passionate about the topic.

GeorgeB., Nov 25, 2006 IP