1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 Sites With Similar Content, Will Google Ban Them?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by BetterResults, Jul 5, 2008.

I’m planning to build about 10 websites around a theme in order to maximize my online marketing. For Example, let’s say I was selling cardboard and these were my sites:

2 Cardboard Sites for the main theme selling all types of cardboards, but with focus mostly on brown cardboard in different shapes and sizes, one section for square cardboard, one for triangle shape, etc.

Site1: CompanyCarboard
    Site2: TheBestCarboardForSale

Both of these will have similar structure but different text.

3 Sites for brown cardboard only, with different section for square cardboard, triangle shape, circle shape, etc. This is a big niche in the cardboard theme.

Site1: OnlyBrownCardboard

Site2: TheBestBrownCardboard

Site3: BuyBrownCardboard

2 Sites for large brown cardboard only.

Site1: BuyLargeBrownCardboard
    Site2: BrownCardboardCutLarge

2 Sites for small cut brown cardboard

Site1: SmallCutBrownCardboard
    Site2: SmallBrownCardboard

1 Site on only square brown cardboard

Site 1: SquareBrownCardboards.com

As you can see all of these sites might show up if someone were to search for brown cardboard for sale, but only one might show up if one does a search for small cut brown cardboard, although the main 2 global sites should show up as well.

I don’t care about linking the sites to each other. Also, I will have different content for each site and the sites will focus on their own domain titles.

I will host all sites with different hosting companies. All sites might get between 10 to 20 unique visits per day, so I will probably just buy cheap shared hosting with different companies for each of them.

I also have a reseller account, so I plan to host at least 2 or 3 of these sites in there. For example host "CompanyCarboard" "SmallCutBrownCardboard" and "SquareBrownCardboard". I want to do this to cut costs.

I will have different page titles for all sites, for example: “Small Brown Cardboard for Sale” for one site and “Small Cut Brown Cardboard In Different Shape and sizes” for another site.

I will have different marketing strategies for all sites; for example, not get backlinks from same places, etc.

My goal is to show up in all “cardboard” results with at least one of my sites, and even show up twice in the same page or different pages.

I know some big companies that do this successfully, for example HomeAway.com owns many websites that are similar and they even show up in the same page at times. They own the .coms for these domains vacationrentals, greatrentls, vrbo, triphomes and even others along the same theme.

I know this will take a lot of work and resources and also that at times is better to just market one site really well and not market multiple sites at below great level, but my niche is rather small and these sites will not require much SEO in order to rank high, just great written content and some simple SEO will do.

Do you think this might work? Do you have any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks!

BetterResults, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  2. treesearcher

treesearcher Guest

Best Answers:
    I am not as well versed in Google policies as others here are but I think I understand what is meant by duplicate content. For instance, the same news story can appear on many different sites, but that is considered syndication. The way I understand it, and again I could be wrong, is if Google finds the same content posted more than once on the same website it is then considered duplicate content.

treesearcher, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  3. ajhp99

ajhp99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Mix the site content up by about 30% - 40 % and you should be fine. You can also add different feeds on the pages and/or add different facts. Google looks at the entire page, not just a part of the page.

ajhp99, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  4. Dootch

Dootch Active Member

Best Answers:
    why this method instead of creating one big site and dominating the niche?

Dootch, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  5. BetterResults

BetterResults Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies.

There are several things that can come into play with having multiple sites instead of just one big site. The first one being redundancy. If one doesn’t do too well the other might and such. Also, 2 sites might show up in the same page giving you 2 shots at getting clicks.

Another point in having multiple sites is that the small site might show up higher because it is entirely about a very specific niche, while the big site has all contents together. This also serve good for the users. Those who are looking for a small niche and land in a big website might not understand where the information they are looking for is and just go to the next one down. If my small niche site is clicked then that person will definitely find what they are looking for.

Let’s see what others have to say though.

BetterResults, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  6. tonyran

tonyran Peon

Best Answers:
    Now, you want to catch fish, youre thinking of buying one big net or many smaller nets. The arguments are more or less the same.

With one big site though, you can be the ultimate authority on the niche, and you can put all of your creativity and ideas into that site. Then again, I remember an old saying about putting your eggs in one basket

tonyran, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  7. John Romano

John Romano Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't recommend you building several sites with similar content. It used to be a strategy used in the late 90s as search engines were not that sophisticated in recognizing duplicate content. However, things have changed and you are better off concentrating all your efforts into creating one brand. Google loves brands and so do many internet users.

John Romano, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  8. dwhswebhosting

dwhswebhosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they are not cross linked you should be fine, if they are cross linked that alone can get you banned. I like to have one main site and use the marketing sites separately to funnel into the main one.

dwhswebhosting, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  9. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    10 websites with similar content is usual to Google because 20 to 25% in the web are duplicate.

KylieSweet, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  10. williamrich1987

williamrich1987 Member

Best Answers:
    if the content totally similar then i think chance of site very high Ban

williamrich1987, Nov 13, 2015 IP
  11. Floyd Arthur

Floyd Arthur Member

Best Answers:
    Most probably the one Google sees will be the first consideration. However, if they see longer post or first posted then it will be the most considered to be listed on search results otherwise it will go to sandbox. If the source of the content can be copied and use for free like article directories then you might as well add the source first then add videos, images and add some text or quotations to make the content longer. Also, ensure that the content don't have wrong spellings and grammars.

Floyd Arthur

Floyd Arthur, Nov 18, 2015 IP
  12. mrupp2006

mrupp2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you build 10 sites that are 40% unique from each other all listed with a different domain then Google will see them each as a separate site. As long as you do not copy the sites from one to another and keep content different you will be fine. Sounds like you are building micro niche sites. Micro niche sites work great on driving super targeted traffic. Keep your content fresh and pertaining to your few chosen keywords for each site.

mrupp2006, Nov 20, 2015 IP