1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 site, 6 dmoz listings = little effect on serps

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Dominic, Jan 10, 2005.

1. glengara

glengara Guest

Best Answers:
    I recently lost a lucky DMOZ listing for an inside page, the page is down about 20 positions in G, and most of its PR is gone... :-(

glengara, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  2. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Joffrey: I think you are going to get more link pop and PR vote that traffic from DMOZ and its clones.

bobmutch, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  3. yisou

yisou Banned

Best Answers:
    Well done,I have submit many times to DMOZ,but never add my site.

yisou, Mar 9, 2005 IP
  4. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a BL from somewhere like dmoz isn't really going to be to boost your 'relevance' (i.e. KW matching in the G. algo) unless you're extremely lucky with the editor's choice. The point of submitting to dmoz is, in my opinion, a solid, straight PR boost ('vote') from a respected authority site. Onsite optimisation and backlinks from sites where you have more control over anchor/surrounding text are where you'll get better relevance. If you don't have both, your SERP ranking won't be hot in an area with lots of competition.

davedx, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  5. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    davedx: This is where it comes to thinking ahead when you purchase your domain name and form your company name. For example my company name is "SEO Company" and my domain is SEOCOMPANY.CA . Hence my title in DMOZ is "SEO Company" which is one of the main words I am targeting. I am currently #12 on Yahoo and #18 on MSN. My site is only 7 months old I don't have any ranks in Google so I am experiencing the sandbox effect what ever that is.

Strange enough my ranking when down (well on MSN it did - used to be on first page) when I got entered into DMOZ which shows that DMOZ is very bad for rankings and your site is better off not in DMOZ. Now if I can just find some way to get my self removed so my rankings will come back : )

bobmutch, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Surely ye jesteth, sire?

mcfox, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  7. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you are thinking that MSN is possibly discounting the ranking of sites in DMOZ. Very interesting theory.

I guess it makes sense with my own results. I am still blown over by the number of top 5 results from my new sites.

It would make some sense if MSN reduced the number of backlinks it counted from a DMOZ site since the DMOZ site will receive hundreds or thousands of extra links from sites using DMOZ data. Maybe when your site was added to DMOZ it went down because many of the new DMOZ backlinks had not made it into the MSN index yet.

Like I said, interesting theory.

CanadianEh, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  8. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    mcfox: Yes. I was just making a point that just because two events happen one after the other, or close to each other, that they don't have any relationship to each other but are what we call a coincidence.

How ever my ranking in MSN did drop shortly after I was added to DMOZ.

I had even a worse coincidence not long ago. I posted on searchenginewatch on the sandbox thread that GoogleGuy was making comments on. I was complaining very much about my rankings in Google and that when I applied the sandbox filter I ranked very high on a number of my keywords. PageRank Update, SEO Company, SEO Techniques etc.

In this post I noted that I had never done anything spammy but... and I confessed that some time ago when I was not thinking straight I had added 40 nice commments on a blog that had numbers of PR5 pages. I also noted I stopped doing that when I learned better : )

The very nice day I was hammered. In my mind I was sure Google Guy had read my post and had personally hammered my site. I deleted my post, send I even more stupit email to Google confessing my wrong and begging to be added back to the index. I contacted the said blog where I had done my er, posting and confessed and asked from him to remove my posts. Then I found out the next day that there had be a big Algo change and that I had just got filtered cus of all my site wide links and over optimization.

Anyway this all goes to provide (other than I am a bit wacked) that many things are a coincidence and have nothing to do with what you just did.

bobmutch, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  9. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice find.

I have the saw the same results as the author with DMOZ, been in 3 months now and no BL's, no traffic.

subnet_rx, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  10. Richmond, Virginia SEO

Richmond, Virginia SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if the legend here is greater than the truth. DMOZ is horrible about posting sites in a timely fashion so the old adage, you want what you can't have may be at play. So over time it has become something that has more myth than truth when relating to SEO effectiveness.

I submit all my sites, but in the last six months haven't seen any get in.

Richmond, Virginia SEO, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  11. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    The biggest DMOZ reward in my opinion is the potential thousands of backlinks from sites that use DMOZ data and not traffic from DMOZ itself.

I have generally had the same experience of not getting sites listed, but it will always be worth the 10 minutes to submit.

CanadianEh, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  12. Richmond, Virginia SEO

Best Answers:
    I agree, always submit to dmoz, it would be foolish not to. But we should also realize it won't solve all your seo challanges. :)

Richmond, Virginia SEO, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  13. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    You are right. I have heard this hundreds of times but I believe its the first time that I repeat it.

Submit it and forget it

CanadianEh, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    That's all you really can do

Blogmaster, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  15. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked my logs for my small gaming site for this month. 250 links from google, 30 from yahoo, 3 from netscape, 2 from dmoz. Another dozen from dmoz clones that awstats didn't recognize as DMOZ. I am rated between #1 and #6 in google for all my (not very popular) targeted keywords.

I don't have as much experience as a lot of you but I think that submitting to DMOZ is definately worth the few minutes it takes to read their editing guidelines and write a DMOZ perfect title and description. I found that doing so helped me to better understand how to present my site to the public.

ziandra, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  16. Richmond, Virginia SEO

Best Answers:
    I agree in every way. I submit to about 80-100 directories for every client and dmoz is always the first one. Just wish they would move along a little quicker. I may look into becoming an editor just to understand the process better. Anybody know anybody who is an editor?

Richmond, Virginia SEO, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  17. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Richmond, Virginia SEO: there are SEO forum sites with DMOZ forums on them where you will find the odd DMOZ editor.

ziandra: I think also it is content that is important. I got into DMOZ with in 3 months of opening my site. I just had lots of good content and the editor must of liked it.

bobmutch, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  18. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This site just got another listing in DMOZ. As mentioned in my first post... nothing to pop a cork over but another decent link.

Dominic, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  19. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    And even on this forum you will find some very odd ODP editors. :D

Alucard, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  20. Richmond, Virginia SEO

Best Answers:
    I have had a devil of a time getting my client's toy site listed. I think it may be because of his site's name, http://www.sillyasstoys.com. He and I debated this name for hours. I never thought it was a great name for a children's toy site. Now I sonder if DMOZ won't accept it because of the name. Google adwords had problems with it at first as well.

He has been online since October and I have submitted him twice with no luck.

Richmond, Virginia SEO, Jul 1, 2005 IP