1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

#1 out of 484 Million

Discussion in 'Bing' started by nevetS, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Sdawg

Sdawg Active Member

Best Answers:
    thats great to hear, congrats!

Sdawg, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  2. MoreSolutions

MoreSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I just jumped up to #7 on MSN for: jewelry software (358,857,805). I was down in the 100s just a few days ago. If only I could do the same for Google.

MoreSolutions, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    It's definitely given me traffic, but not the kind of traffic I had hoped.

Weddings netted me unique 169 visitors in the past 24 hours. They collectively averaged about 12 pages a piece, so they are sticking around.

I think the same position in Google or Yahoo would be much more effective, but that's all speculation. I imagine they would provide at least 4 times the visitors, but even that falls well short of what wordtracker would suggest (4079/day) - assuming that a top position pays off with at least 50% of the searchers clicking on the result.

nevetS, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Overture shows 740556 searches for wedding. I agree, it should bring in 10 times more visitors than the ones you have. I guess they aren't MSN users...

Which, once again, proves my point that MSN is stuck and isn't even in the engine race.

BTW, I just noticed that the # of results for one of my main keywords is 346,974,289, and I am #1!!

Wow, I didn't even notice there was so much competition. The thing that really sucks is that Adsense is showing ads that have nothing at all to do with my site, so my CTR sucks!

fryman, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  5. Brad

Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems too easy to rank in msn, I am No1 for a competitive term, but get no traffic from them. My site is 2 months old and I dont rank for anything any where else. Wierd.!

Brad, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter at all how competitve the word is. What matters is how popular it is. It would be cool to rank #1 for the word "the", but how much traffic do you expect it would bring in?

fryman, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  7. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:
    none, because no one searches for "the" and there is someone else out there who is number one for anything you put with "the" like "The Winner" "The Cage" "The American kennel club".

This is what I was trying to say earlier about wedding.

FTEGal, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to be defending my accomplishment here... I set out to do rank highly with this keyword, but not with MSN specifically. Really attaining this position was more of a fluke IMO. Retaining it will be the accomplishment.

FTEGal - I think you are right and wrong. I think the results for doing this in Google or Yahoo would yield significantly higher traffic, but who knows. Hopefully later this year I can report back with the differences.

Most wedding sites probably are not targetting a single keyword, but keyword tracker and overture would have you think that people are definitely searching for it.

My 3d ultrasound site sees almost 30% of its traffic from MSN and my rankings are very similar between MSN, Yahoo, and Google. I think MSN has power, just not much for this particular keyword.

nevetS, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  9. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:

I am not trying to make you feel like this is not a huge accomplishment because it is. The example that was going back and forth about ranking fot "the" is what I was trying to say would result in no traffic. I definitely think that "wedding" would bring you traffic but i also think that the way the keyword reports give their results is misleading. If it tells you that there are 4000 searches a day for the term, it doesn't tell you that 1000 of them are for "wedding dresses" and that another 500 are for "wedding planners" etc. These terms are not terms that you rank #1 on so your results are not going to be anywhere near what you had hoped.

If you type the word "the" into yahoo you get 4,200,000,000 results. But this is not the amount of people who are actually targetting this term.

My point earlier was this. You have a PR1 wich means you can't have a ton of backlinks, and your site is not that old either. I am targeting "wedding dresses". I have a PR4 with thousands of backlinks and a 3 year old site. Yet I do not rank at all for "wedding". I have never tried to rank for that term. I personally don't believe that a site with your statistics could really stand up to say "theknot.com" or "modernbride.com" if they were targetting that keyword. I haven't come anywhere near them yet and I am spending almost $1000 a month on links.

I hope that my posts in this thread din't make you feel bad about your accomplishment. It was not my intention.

Maybe I am just a bit jealous that I never thought of trying for that word myself ;)

FTEGal, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  10. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I never realized that the traffic included other variations - but it does make sense. I also have to take into account that not everybody will be clicking on my result - no matter how highly ranked, and there are probably several that are people tracking their own results.

You are right about my backlinks. I'm not totally asleep at the wheel, but it has only been a few weeks since I opened the site.

I'm not offended at all. I am sleepy and I was a little worried that I might come across like I was. :D

nevetS, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  11. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it would be good for us to swap links. The wedding ones now, and I am also making a baby stuff store, so once that is up we could swap other links. That is if you want to. I'll PM you in the morning and see if you are interested. I;m going to bed now and you should to. It is 3:00 where I am so I am sleepy too.

FTEGal, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I sent you a PM.

nevetS, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  13. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    now how much traffic did that translate to?

web-rover, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  14. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Weirfire, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  15. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    ~150 users / day

You're on. I'll send you a pm later today.

nevetS, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  16. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    We already have 1 nevets :)

Weirfire, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  17. FTEGal

FTEGal Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to swap with you to. :)

FTEGal, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  18. nevetS