1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$1 amnesty for pirated software

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mushroom, Jun 9, 2005.

or is that all the software is really worth ?
    The rest: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4076982.stm

mushroom, Jun 9, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah, get me started. M$ gives them the software we have to pay hundreds of dollars for to them for 1$ and then sends our work there for about the same hourly wage.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft!

Gobalization and outsourcing are good, see?

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    rofl

The indonesians are so corrupt (heard of how they ran the Schapelle Corby trial? ) that they'll probably take their newly "licensed" software and on sell it for the full value.

I've worked with a company that had a Jakarta office (and I've been there) and it's lightyears away from anything I understand.

Sarah

sarahk, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If only software companies stopped putting those ridiculous prices on their products things would change.

Windows XP pro SP2 costs a bit over 400 bucks. Minimum wage here is 140...

400 dollars is what someone with a college degree earns in a month here. Totally ridiculous

fryman, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  5. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's only worth $1 in Indonesia why is it so much more elsewhere :confused:

mushroom, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's a loss leader. Once they know who they're looking for then they can
    a) recruit them for their IT sweatshops
    b) sell them full price software
    c) get stung all over again

Thing is it will probably fail because they'll need the indonesians to really get in behind this but the bosses will expect a kickback and how much of a kickback can you get on $1?

When I used to work for company that dealt with the government over there you would pay $ to someone just to ensure that your proposal was "viewed" but you never knew who you were paying it to, if they actually did as promised etc. It was all based on the fear of what might happen if you didn't pay.

I hope Microsoft have some very good local advisors. It's a totally different world there.

S

sarahk, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  7. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    keep talking like that and I will move in with you (with my family) so we can live like kings.

debunked, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well, all I can say is that none of my friends earn what I do, and they have "real" jobs, having to wake up early, dealing with all kind of problems... nothing like working on your own in something you love and earning loads of cash.

But I don't like it here, I want to move to another country. One side of me wantsto go to some developed country, like Canada, but my earnings wouldn't let me live like I do here.

On the other side, I could always try out on some under developed country. I keep getting told that in India I would live like a member of the royalty with what I earn, but moving over there isn't such an attractive idea, it just seems too far away :D

fryman, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How about New Zealand?

sarahk, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Ouch, that's farther away, isn't it? Hows the cost of living over there?

fryman, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  11. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    LMAO - you know a great way to get cheap software licenses is to buy them from a defunct company. I bet they turn around and sell those licenses to a big US corporation.

nevetS, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Here you just go downtown to the flea market and get any program you want for 2 bucks per cd.

Of course, illegal software, but nothing is being done about it because it would be impossible for 90% of the people here to buy legal software.

fryman, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  13. Izo

Izo Peon

Best Answers:
    It never ceases to amaze me how a gouvernment can afford to deal with unreliable and unsecure software including operation Systems. IMHO, they should all switch to Linux. It's secure, fast and free.

Izo, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  14. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sure that the main reason they made the $1 offer was to hold back the move to open source.

mushroom, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  15. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    True and not true. The main reason Linux and Mac boxes are so secure right now is their lack of popularity, especially among security-naive users. There are a number of script-kiddie available exploits available that will root a server pretty easily if a common mistake is made, or a system is not secured post-installation. Those kinds of things would be more and more prevalent if everybody had a linux box at home. (And forget about the government being responsible enough to secure their servers).

Another point is that there are a ton of people out there who's boxes have been rooted and zombified that don't even know it. I've caught at least 10 people hacking my server and if I didn't monitor it as much as I do I never would have seen them. And stopping them and re-securing my server was a technical task that most people wouldn't be up to.

nevetS, Jun 10, 2005 IP