1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 10k page site or 20 500 pg sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by eddie, Jan 10, 2005.

I am working on a new site for information content I want to use adsense, some aff marketing and run coop ads.
    Looking for opinions on rather to have a 1 larger site or about 20 smaller sites.
    intrested in pros and cons for both options.
    Thanks for your input!

eddie, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  2. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd go with one large site and maybe use subdomains for seperate categories.

cgo85, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That basically is all seperate sites cgo85.

I'd go with 20 seperate IP sites so you have the advantage of being able to link to yourself from 19 sites to 1 with good anchor text. And it will give you more overall coop weight because you won't reach the cap easily.

With 20 sites you just have more to play with giving you more flexibility and opportunities for SEO. Content-wise it'd be easier to seperate the subject so the sites can easily be themed. Makes it easier on the relevant AdSense ads, easier to optimize for homepages etc. etc.

Also better as an exit strategy if it's modular so you can sell off parts that other parties are interested in.

Go for multiples....

T0PS3O, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. eddie

eddie snowrider

Best Answers:
    thanks TOPS30

That is the way I am thinking 20 sites, I could roll them out seperatly any suggestions on a host for multipul sites it would be nice to have a central way to manage them any advise from those who run mulit sites would be appr.

thanks

eddie, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  5. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    IMHO I would say get your own server and place these sites on different C- Blocks. If you go with just a hosting account you will have most of these sites on the same C- Block which in my opinion is a bad move.

Not to mention but some people also believe that if a site on a certain C- Block gets banned then all sites on that same block could suffer as well. I personally dont know if that is true but I have heard it mentioned before as being possible.

Las Vegas Homes, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I have never seen evidence that Google uses IP address as part of it's ranking algorithm.

Has anyone here seen such evidence?

Will.Spencer, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I personally do not know if Google uses that in any part of their Algo, but I have seen on other forums where people have mentioned that they believed because of a certain site being ban by Google on a C - Block that others suffered penalties as well from that same Block.

I dont cliam to know but nothing as far as google is concerned is safe and IMHO it is better to be safe than sorry.

Las Vegas Homes, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Will,

I think it's important to remember that the IP block thing really only applies to linking.

There's no reason you can't have 100 sites on 100 subdoms, all on the same IP. If you want to be able to cross link, that's a different matter.

It does make sense - though if it's absolute proof you want, it'll date pretty quickly :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Jan 11, 2005 IP