1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$.01 eBay comission on $249.99 item? WTF?!?!

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by HaltingPoint, Feb 18, 2008.

1. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not completely clear on what you're trying to accomplish, but you're operating in the midst of some realities. I've been at the eBay stuff since early December, and have developed a fair amount of traffic. My experience with registrations is that the bulk of them are of the "Advanced" variety, meaning that the registrant did sign up, but did not place a bid. My experience so far is that about 9 out of 10 of those do not become ACRUs.

Now, I have read reports from some who claim to have a continuing flood of ACRUs. That is not my experience, although I'm pleased with the number and flow of commissions I'm seeing. Most visitors are already registered with eBay so far as I can tell.

I'm sensing that there is some strategy that hasn't revealed itself to me for targeting first timers and stimulating them to bid. I'm going to keep my eyes open about that, and I have some thoughts as to how it might be approached.

potentmix, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  2. HaltingPoint

HaltingPoint Peon

Best Answers:
    That helps clarify a bit. However to clarify what i'm trying to do...basically I have two ways people can potentially convert as ACRU's on my site. First is by clicking on the Flexlink I have in my site instructions at the top of the page that takes them directly to the registration page on eBay. The second way is by them clicking on a product in the Editor Kit listing and registering before they bid.

My only converting registration has apparently been through the Editor Kit listings even though I have 44 clicks on the Flexlink this month. If your average conversion rate is still 10% (which is great!) I should have roughly 4 conversions at this point from the flexlink. I just think its really weird since my copy is targeted and registering is the first step of the process, so presumably someone would follow-up and bid on something.

I ran a test today where I created a new eBay account and bid on something using a different email account. It registered with my flexlink so i guess its not broken...just need to target it better like you said.

Anybody know how to add SIDs to flexlinks?

HaltingPoint, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  3. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:

With only 44 clickthroughs your sample would not hold up to be statistically significant to the 10% that the earlier poster says is acheiving. You will need a lot more traffic then that to actually get any appropriate read on the ratio of registrations V.S. active registration (those that go on to bid). Your problem isn't ebay tracking its the lack of traffic. Try working on improving this. Also the type of traffic you receive is very important in your consideration. If your traffic is experienced web users, they're most likely already a member of ebay, therefore you should focus on converting commissions rather then registrations, websites dealing with developers/designers/programmers/webmasters for example would be along those line. Now it would be vice versa in terms of those with low level experience on the web. There are lots of factors you have to consider in your strategy when you approach this and don't just write off ebay or whichever advertiser it might be in comission junction.

DonMecca, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  4. HaltingPoint

HaltingPoint Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, good point about the statistical relevance. I guess the reason I was reading too much into it was the fact that my my users are quite familiar with eBay and I expect most of them have accounts already (as shown by the many commissions I've been receiving on sales).

So I guess I'm confused why someone who is eBay savvy would click a link saying "Click here to register an account on eBay". You would think they'd understand they don't need to if they already have an account. Maybe I'll try adding "If you don't already have one" before that to prequalify them...

Working on building traffic, the site launched on 2/9 so its still really young. Its really frustrating because I'm getting first page google rankings for the phrase "buy myniche" and related phrases but I can't for the life of me rank ANYWHERE in google for just "myniche" even though its plastered all over my site since its part of the "buy myniche" phrase...

VERY frustrating.

HaltingPoint, Feb 25, 2008 IP