1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Serving 2% of the Internet's Malicious Viruses

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bryce, Jul 27, 2008.

Digital Daily has an interesting article...

Don’t Be Evil–Just Serve Ads on It

That details a report by Sophos anti-virus which claims that Google is responsible for over 2% of the internet's viruses and malware.

hmmm... Do no evil, eh ??? It looks like the Google Gestapo can police everyone elses blogs for paid links or sponsored articles but they can't even keep their own site free of malware and viruses.

:mad:

Bryce, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  2. Tutors_UK

Tutors_UK Peon

Best Answers:
    That’s a pretty low figure when you think about how wide a grasp Google has around the internet. Sophos know what they are talking about, but surely this is a harsh critic, how can Google stop this unless they are reported. To prevent before they are reported is almost impossible (apart from know viruses, and known traits)

Tutors_UK, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  3. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not an issue of reporting these blogs. Google already displays warnings in their search engine results (see Google official article here). Considering the fact they already slap these labels on other sites, why isn't it good enough for their own? Not only that, they have been producing false positives on numerous sites, usually sites or blogs that publish content critical of Google. I know, my blog got slapped with the warning and consequently, my serps and my blog's reputation were seriously harmed for over two months.

As far as holding 2% of the internets virus and malware pages, again, if they can police other sites, they might want to start proving the merit in it by policing their own site and 2% is a huge number.

Bryce, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  4. Tutors_UK

Tutors_UK Peon

Best Answers:
    Well maybe that’s part of the problem, if they are producing false positives should they really be taking these sites out of the index? That’s going to annoy a lot more people than slapping a warning on the site.

And sometimes webmaster may not even know if they a giving out a virus (I doubt that is the case with you), but it can happen. The warning may give them a chance to rectify this.

What they could do is send a message to the webmaster, and tell them why they think they deserve the warning, what it is that triggered this and how to rectify this problem. They’re not doing enough to help webmasters help their selves

Tutors_UK, Jul 28, 2008 IP