1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's better? 11th or 10th?

Discussion in 'Google' started by UQHosting, Mar 29, 2008.

Two days ago one of my sites was top of page 2 in Google for a very competetive keyword, since then it has been bottom of page 1, and I am getting less traffic. I have been pushing for page 1 for around a month now and finally got there I think it was better to be top of page 2! A month ago, I thought that once I got to page one for the search term "Classifieds", I would make it to the big time, so I spent a lot of time link building etc to get there. Now I need to either lose some links or work my **** off to get right to the top! What do you think? Bottom of page 1 or top of page 2?

UQHosting, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  2. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    The bottom of page 1 is better if you continue to build more backlinks you will move up closer to the top of page 1.

kingofsanda, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  3. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bottom of page 1 is much better,just keep make backlinks to your site,and make your site to reach top of page 1.

SEOBusiness, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  4. ebob

ebob Peon

Best Answers:
    10th position.

Better to be on the first page of results than the second.

ebob, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  5. I.C.Bratianu

I.C.Bratianu Active Member

Best Answers:
    The difference between any place from the first page and the first results from the second page is huge if the number of searches is big. Keep working to get in the top.

I.C.Bratianu, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  6. goldenbrowngod

goldenbrowngod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it would be best to be on the bottom of the first page then the top of the second because most people are likely to at least scan all the whole page before clicking to the next page...if they click at all.

goldenbrowngod, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  7. TroyM

TroyM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First pages is MUCH better ... ..

TroyM, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  8. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First page is always better no matter what.

MikeLugar, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  9. UQHosting

UQHosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Once again another day bottom of page 1. And to be honest, so much less traffic, so much less adsense and so much less ads. I am gonna fight for no.1 on 1st page, if I lose, then I will accept top of page 2. Just seems that people will search the top of each page, I am talkng about general public, not us.

10. MikeDirnt

MikeDirnt Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont see much difference to be at bottom of 1st page with top of 2nd page. unless you are talking about few pages behind. naturally when doing a search, people will browse the first few pages of the results and not limited to the 1st page only

MikeDirnt, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  11. UQHosting

UQHosting Banned

Best Answers:
    I actually now wish Google had a merit thing going on. They would email you. The email would be "Hey, congratulations, you are on page one! Hey, if it don't work out, we can put you back a page and earn you credits for someone else. These credits can be exchanged for the amount of effort, time and expense you have applied to become a top 10 site, which to be honest is worth shit all!!!!!, because all your effort is worth bollocks, we charge people to advertise, we take a small 99.9% cut off a little program called Adsense, we make our millions, so hey, f u!!!!!!!

12. trixs

trixs Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I have my search engines set to show 100 results. I like this as it lets me check the status of my sites for various keywords fast and easy :)

trixs, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  13. UQHosting

UQHosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, unfortunatly, I think we should actually limit it to 5 and only have 5 sites per page. Also Wikipedia will not be in the top 5, this will illimate most search results. Lets face it, Google want to buy Wikipedia, shame really, I own a PR3 named similar! Not that PR matters, having 17,000 pages indexed does and would give me a reason to fight, especially when I just bought a script to rip Wikipedia apart by using a simple search engine to store their data and others in MYSql database in Modwrite mode with RSS feeds! Wiki Wiki Wiki, What? Google, you are pulling too many tricks that make me feel like you are a bigger monster than Microsoft. Sooner or later, the internet will be owned by the people that actually use it! Ok, Microsoft deserve a hell of a lot of reputation and respect for giving the world a platform to communicate, download and generally be able to operate, but times are changing. The Vista thing, the upgrades, the £200 for a CD, its too much. Gates, I love what you do for charity, but look nearer to the window (excuse the pun there), why can someone 24,000 miles away be given the things that your next door neighbour can't afford? The world is a disgrace, and we let it go on and on. Hey, Bill, I downloaded my Windows for free, I hope you read this, beacause many unfortunate, normal, working class, tax paying people will have my copy!

14. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its hard to say..maybe depends on how many pepole that day search for the keywords

enous, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  15. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you keep improving your position, hopefully you will get 9th then 8th etc.

Build lots of backlinks.

angilina, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  16. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I understand people saying #10 because it is that much closer to the first spot. However, if I was given the choice of which spot I would prefer, 10th or 11th and that is where my site would always be, I would choose 11th.

The stats show it brings in more visitors compared to 10th. (At least mine do)

yfs1, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  17. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd say go with being on the bottom of the first page. People rarely go to the second page.

cool_78, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  18. mustaineoz

mustaineoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    bottom of page is much better because before visitors click "next page" they can see your website

mustaineoz, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  19. soufulow

soufulow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tricky question. I would take the 11th spot for the SERP I am targeting on. For certain industry (for example when webmasters like us search) searchers usually go more than just one page, thus a 11th spot drives more traffics than the bottom spot of first page.

However from the other responses it seems this is not common in most cases.

soufulow, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  20. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Anywhere in the first page, is always better!

godsofchaos, Mar 30, 2008 IP