1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Placement of unrelated reciprocal links

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by axeldrummer, Feb 27, 2006.

I've read from Brad Callen's resources that it's wise to get even unrelated link exchanges (better than none).

I know that you can theme-wise categorize related sites and link them via index.html, but as for un-related ... let's say I run a powertools site, where would I place links to a doll site? Furthermore, should I link my index to the "unrelated link" area? I'm just afraid that may hurt my index.html's PR or search engine perception.

Lastly, does unrelated include gambling, pharm, as well? Or are these truly harmful, despite the "any link better than none" principle?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

axeldrummer, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. angelos

angelos Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

First, it's not quite clear for me which links you mean - outbound links or inbound links. Logically, you are interested in related backlinks to get a higher pagerank and consequently, high position in SERPs. Choosing between no links and non - related links, one would theoretically prefer the later, but initially aiming at higher position in SE, one is supposed to try to manage to do everything as it requires to be done from the very beginning. So, I'd recommend you to focus your efforts and resources on acquiring as many relevant backlinks as possible.

Good luck,

angelos, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  3. axeldrummer

axeldrummer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Angelos,

I'm referring to link exchanges with non-related sites where I have to place an outbound link to them, and they have to place an in-bound link to me.

Now, as for my outbound link to them, where should I place this in my site structure?

Should it be inside an "unrelated links" directory like www.mysite.com/unrelated.htm ? And should I link my index page to this (as this may look weird to visitors thinking why I'm linking out to some random pharmacy site)?

4. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay just before this gets taken out of context :)

I mention that it is better to look for and link to on-topic and topics related to your site. But if you are going to do reciprocal linking, a link in is better then no link in.

Having said that, you should adopt an overall strategy by backing it up with quality content. Submission of articles. Develop your own viral tools.

Not just one method but all of them will ensure a good medium and plenty of variation.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  5. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    lol axel, that's kinda mean, isn't it? ;)

devin, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  6. axeldrummer

axeldrummer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Brad,

Thanks, I'm all for related links:) yet aren't unrelated reciprocal links harmful actually?

Since search engines want things created for humans in the end, wouldn't many of the unrelated link directories eventually be penalized? (I see many of those in Link Metro members RIGHT NOW). No human usually goes through the Links Dir of a sports site in an attempt to surf towards a gambling site.

What's your opinion on this?

7. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I whole heartedly agree with this comment. However, getting links back from related sites is seems to be getting harder as people increasingly toss email from unknown entities and are leery about clicking on links in messages. For that reason, it is easy to be tempted by link exchanges with just about anyone.

If I were doing it, I might have a link on my links page to a misc content page. But, you need to be certain that none of those links are going to offend your intended audience. That is worse than no link.

clancey, Feb 27, 2006 IP