1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Super Bowl Logo

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jufcy8200, Feb 5, 2006.

I'm surprised Google didn't put out a "Google Super Bowl Logo" for the Super Bowl!! Someone needs to fire their PR director. LOL :D

Jufcy8200, Feb 5, 2006 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  2. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    To be honest here in UK if it was not because of this forum (reading all the threads about superbowl) i would not even know what it is/when its on etc

mightyb, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  3. gamehouse

gamehouse Guest

Best Answers:
    Very true. Google does not bend for hype.

gamehouse, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  4. bloggermel

bloggermel Peon

Best Answers:
    they should have

bloggermel, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  5. Nadir

Nadir Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would they do that?

Nadir, Feb 5, 2006 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  6. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because it is the most watched event on television maybe

SportsOutlaw, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  7. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    Right, the .COM they could have done it. It is the most watched event on TV :)

Obviously co.uk and all the other foreign domains wouldn't have the logo. :)

Jufcy8200, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  8. Zapita

Zapita Active Member

Best Answers:
    no, it's the final of the Soccer Worldcup :p

Zapita, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  9. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    'Because it is the most watched event on television maybe'

Is that true?, I think it's shown in a lot of countries but I don't know how many watch it in those countries.

There was a football (soccer match), Man City vs Everton, both teams had a chinese player, they estimated that nearly 600 million people were watching it in China alone! It was also shown in nearly every other country in the world (including fox soccer channel, yep prob only a few tens of thousands would watch it in USA, but that prob similar figures to how many people will watch the superbowl in europe (its finishes at 4 in the morning on a working day!).

I quite like American football, but the ads drive me mad, they kick the ball off and it's straight to an ad!

Congratuations Pittsburg!

Deano, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  10. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They do a logo for the olympics.

Why? Because the olympics IS the most watched event on television ;)

GeorgeB., Feb 5, 2006 IP
  11. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here I thought it was "Survivor"!

lol

iowadawg, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  12. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    They do a logo for the olympics.
    That's because it's a world events.
    Is the olympics really the most watched event. I would of thought the association football world cup final. I can see the olympics getting a lot of viewers over the 2/3 week period, but i can't think of an individual event (even the opening ceromony 100 metres final) that could compete with the world cup final.
    I may be wrong :)

Deano, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  13. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're forgetting that non-american football has a very small following in America!

Having an entire continent that doesnt watch it makes it doubtful to be the most watched TV event.

GeorgeB., Feb 5, 2006 IP
  14. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    stephenmunday, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  15. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure of that team USA, and captain America (cCaudio Reyna)will be sure of some viewers :)

I think you may be underestimating how big soccer is in Asia and South America, Europe, Africa and North America.. oophs forget the last continent ;)

Deano, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  16. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Nice post Stephen I'll paste the results here (baased on viewers, not on tvs capable of viewing.

Deano, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  17. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    But for the rest of the World, non-American football is one of THE most popular sports. In America, sure, practically everyone watches the Super Bowl. I'm abroad right now and I watched the game today but I don't know anyone else here (other than other Americans abroad) who did.

Most World wide viewers? I'll take "rest of the World" over "most popular in America."

vprp, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  18. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you take the time to look at this realistically, I think you will be suprised. Care to make guess at how many establishments, aka. bars, dives, sportsbars, sports pubs, or any other hangout for that matter in the United States hosts superbowl watching parties? No stats you look up "online" can measure this.

And for advertising, it is all about money. There is a reason that people pay millions of dollars for each 30 seconds ad spot during the Superbowl.

SportsOutlaw, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  19. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    The cap for this is still pretty much the population of the United States. Sure there are people abroad who watch it but the numbers are very low. I seriously doubt it goes over 1 billion viewers for the 2002 World Cup final or even that soccer event that got 130 something million viewers. Plus, what about all of the pubs, bars, restaurants that show those events? The Super Bowl isn't the only event that gets played at bars.

The advertising point you bring up is an interesting one but I think I have some insight into this. I watched the Super Bowl today from Seoul and we got none of the commercials from the U.S. So, these ad buyers paying $2.5 million per 30 second spot are really paying to market solely to the United States in the biggest event for the country. Meanwhile, for the World Cup final, I bet advertising is segmented by country, meaning each countries network sells its own advertising for the broadcast. I wonder which will be larger if you total each individual countries advertising revenue and compare it to the Super Bowl advertising revenue.

vprp, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  20. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but (excluding illegal immigrants) there are 280 million people in the US. Even if all of them watch simultaneously, this is still nowhere near the 1.3 billion quoted above for the World Cup Final.

I like Amefoot (as it is called in Japan), but it is a niche sport outside the US, whereas soccer has a much wider following. All you need is a ball and four sweaters to mark the goalposts, and you have a full-fledged soccer game. No expensive equipment, no tricky rules. That is why it will always be ahead of AmeFoot in places as diverse as Brazilian slums, Chinese cities and British parks.

stephenmunday, Feb 5, 2006 IP