1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shoemoney gets extorted by corrupt DMOZ editor for $5000

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by emmawatson, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    emmawatson, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    I get caught on this part...

I am not a lawyer or an accountant. Any legal or financial advice I give is my opinion based on my experience. Always seek the advice of a professional before acting on something that I might say.

You should assume everything written on this blog is a lie. You should assume I have motivation for linking to everything on this page and will benefit from it somehow. You should assume I am no better then you are and your opinion has just as much weight as mine. You should question everything. You should come up with your own thoughts and opinions and not trust some stupid blogger.

And then I think about the value of traffic and how great something like this will work as linkbait.

Who knows?

Grokodile, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  3. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Claudek, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Was it nebuchadrezzar? nebuchadrezzar is quite desperate these days with price of his links going down due to the competition. :rolleyes: :D

Buy a DMOZ link

gworld, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh Julian my dear little friend you need to try to concentrate a wee bit harder.

Firstly you need to turn on you BS filter. $5000 dollars???

Secondly you need to listen harder. Its not that hard. Really. How many times have you heard people say those who offer bribes get banned. That some crook tried to scam him out of 5000 simply proves the maxim that you reap what you sow. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=150377&postcount=41

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I hear your BS and I always give it appropriate amount of consideration which is none. :D

I am still waiting for the answer to this question: :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Aah the word BS :p.

So, is this proof enough that dmoz has corrupt editors ? Can we conclude the chapter now ?

paidhosting, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think nebuchadrezzar silence as answer to my question is a clear and loud YES that DMOZ has corrupt editors. :D

gworld, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  9. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have some sort of cognitive disorder or are you just plain stupid?http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=4271815&postcount=25

10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I see there is no statute of limitations at dmoz. That post is 2 years old and the site is considerably more established now.

I don't endorse corruption, and I believe Jeremy was airing his frustration at the length of time it takes for submissions to be reviewed. It's a bit like the difference between saying "I could kill George Bush" and actually meaning it.

sarahk, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  11. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    If you vent you frustrations in that way there is a risk that someone will take you seriously.

A ban forever I guess could be a bit harsh. There is for example the possibility that a site could be sold and that the new owner could be penalized when he has done nothing wrong.

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess that's part of the due diligence you do when you buy a domain!

sarahk, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is a big difference between saying that it is Possible that there is a corruption and saying this is corruption. I don't want some stupid generalized nonsense, I want the answer to this question:

In case you think that they are not then who is protecting them when many editors are removed because of the most stupid excuses or just suspicion of doing something wrong? :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  14. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    His venting has nothing to do with what a directory is or does. The directory was created to direct people to what they are looking for. If I am looking for top web entrepreneurs shouldn't I find the shoemoney.com site?

And what is this "ban"? If a fair and rational editor had some category covering web entrepreneurs and attempted to list shoemoney.com, is the DMOZ admin application coded with a blacklist check? Could somebody higher than an editor decide there is no objective reason to keep the site out and add it?

tbarr60, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  15. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, a year ago, an editor approached me and told me it would cost $500.00 to list my linkspub.

I told him that your out of your mind.

Come on, $5000.00 to list a site in dmoz.

Be real guys. For $5000.00 you can get more promotion for your site then dmoz can provide in it's entire lifetime.

I mean have u ever noticed that nobody visits dmoz to find sites.

It's primarily webmasters, siteowners either checking up on their sites or seeing where to list their site.

That rdf data won't get you much traffic either.

If ur site was removed, u didn't lose anything.

Look at your traffic, have you seen any drastic drops? Not a chance.

Spend $299.00 and go for Yahoo Directory, your site will pull up in yahoo searches as well.

Spend an extra $199.00 list your site in Business.com, it is 10 times busier then dmoz, and it will pull up in business.com searches as well.

adnan, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  16. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    there's one thing you can't ignore about dmoz, hate it or like it, those sub pages have around a PR6

Pixelrage, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There some overriding rules and attempting bribery means you are out or not allowed in.

Editall plus could untag the site but would have to offer a reason that would be archived. Usually relisting of a banned site only takes place after some discussion in the fora.

Therefore be warned before you offer any bribe to get in, it could shut you out permanently.

Spend a little more and you can get listed in Linkjspub as abebooks:D

Anonymously, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  18. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that kinda kills all hopes of growth for the poor site. :D

Furthermore when doing a change of ownership in sites, I guess it's best to call AOL and inquire if it has a permanent dmoz ban before making the purchase. LOL

Isn't it kinda funny how things tend to fall in place the right way in the world. As much as AOL wanted to be a top search engine, it's not even considered as one.

Despite them having dmoz right at their side. :D

I think that stpt somehting like that has high pagerank pages as well if that's what ur after.

Plus, u can go to the link sales forum and theres tons of people there selling them.

adnan, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    So how much jail time can you get for racketeering $5000 in US? :rolleyes:

BTW if it can be proven there are more persons involved will FBI get involved and use RICO? :D

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  20. Naruto07

Naruto07 Banned

Best Answers:
    theres so many bad stuff about DMOZ but still so many people want in!?

WHY??? and obviously theres people from google who read it and yet they still use it on their directory!

WHY???

Naruto07, Aug 28, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.