1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Proxy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Business' started by antman, Jul 14, 2007.

Hey all,

I know that there are a lot of people who runs proxies here, including myself. I think it would be great to share each other's information as learn some tips on the way for a successful proxy. I sold my network a few months ago for good $XXX and am now restarting the business.

There is ALWAYS demand for proxies.

Even sharing revenue, or that you want a small review on your new proxy, or even updates about what you have done to increase traffic.

Anywhoo, here's some of my tips.

[1] Submit to topsites, as many as you can. I know that people who look for proxies go on topsites, and target especially new ones. Most proxy topsites are run on Aardvark PHP, and as a template creator for the guy who runs it, I know it pretty well. Most topsites have a link that is "ssi.php". For example, topsitedomain.com/ssi.php - A lot of the top proxy topsites have this on, so you can see the latest 20 topsites submitted. Then they post it on blogs [Iran/Middle East/Asian blogs] and from there, traffic goes crazy

[2] Do not have a domain with the word 'proxy' in it. When I buy domains, I move away from them. Why? Because that is the number one word that filters block. "Proxies" is usually blocked as well

[3] Ads that blend are better, and before it was banned, images of attractive females next to them ;) But that is no longer allowed. So keep your ads blending in well

[4] Create a network. Sooner or later, your proxy will be blocked. Solution? Start another one. Then that gets blocked, so start another one. Thus, a network starts to form. After a while, you will be very $$$ but be careful about overloads on the server

[5] Bandwidth code - Attached is a code you add (Made by Billy Connite) to your script (PHProxy) to minimise bandwidth and hotlinking. It saves you a lot of $$$ and downtime. Simply copy and paste the mod code into your index.php page, just below the '<?php' at the top of the page.

I have another million things to add, but what do you have to share? :D

Attached Files:

antman, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  2. combat

combat Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers, good idea this thread.

A few ideas and sugestions to PHProxy:

The "Grandmaster" of PHProxy paused the PHProxy Project, see here: www.whitefyre.com

I think PHProxy needs a MySpace fix to post bulletins and comments. Without these fix, PHProxy will die.

Check the official project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/poxy/

combat, Jul 14, 2007 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  3. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone here on a CGI proxy?

They allow you to log in, but kill the server resources.

antman, Jul 14, 2007 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  4. gkgk11

gkgk11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha, What about the zelune proxy script? Is anyone using that?

gkgk11, Jul 14, 2007 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  5. JacobNix

JacobNix Peon

Best Answers:
    yeap
    im using Zelune + CGI
    but not phproxy
    weird
    ISPs are blocking the codes phproxy use in the toolbar
    so moved to zelune right now
    but 1 question!
    i have about 2300 hits a day
    and my zelune is not working sometime
    specially when the traffic increases

whats the reason?

JacobNix, Jul 14, 2007 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  6. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm no expert on Zelune, is it good/better?

antman, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  7. JacobNix

JacobNix Peon

Best Answers:
    i think its much more better than phproxy

JacobNix, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  8. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    Well I have been running one proxy for the last couple months (3) and have noticed if you do not advertise your proxy during summer it will become dead fast. I have been working for a long time to figure this out and have finally figured out how to increase traffic even during summer once your proxy is almost dead.

My proxy was getting less than 50 unique visitors a day in the middle of this week. I advertised and now its increasing past 140+ unique visitors daily and 10+ or more returning. My key to finding this was thinking about all these poor kids that are in summer school or school has already started for them. Yes school has started in some parts of the united states.

Well from there I started my advertising on myspace to young people (16-18). But not just any body but teenage girls. I thought long and hard and realized girls gossip and are more likely to tell their friends about the proxy and use myspace at school then guys.

So I have been adding tons of friends now (350 daily) and leaving them a message about unblocking myspace at school. This brings a few (20-30) out of the 350 but then once they are added you send out bulletins. The key is to send one in the morning (8-9am) then one in the afternoon (12-1pm) and then one in the evening (9-10pm). This will increase your numbers.

Also for each new proxy I open I create a new myspace account to start adding friends to. I only advertise one proxy on each account though so it gets even traffic. You may link to your other proxies from your proxy's main page but to get even traffic only advertise one proxy site per account.

I hope this helps everyone a little bit. If anyone needs help just keep posting here. I will definitely be back to this post!

activebiz, Jul 15, 2007 IP
    antman and Phoenix Network like this.
  9. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing.

When do the US holidays start and end?

In Australia, it begins this week, or next week by the latest - ideal time for advertising.

My traffic falls on weekends obviously, but sometimes gets high on Saturday.

Thanks again for sharing :)

antman, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  10. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    My traffic topped out yesterday (Saturday) at 143 unique visitors which was higher than Friday. It seems Sunday is slower than any other day of the week but I seem to manage. The proxy I just started yesterday is half of the proxy I started 3 months ago which seems like its picking up good visitors.

Holidays? Well Independents day just ended on the 4th so we are through the major July holiday so we can get easy traffic now. Here in the US we probably have a holiday every month so once you get passed it its all good. I am trying everything I know to gain traffic to my proxies without top sites because top sites seem to lag the loading of the main page pretty bad and it looks cluttered. I also don't see much help due to top sites. I will report back with more finds.

11. Nerve

Nerve Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, thanks a lot for the bandwidth mod!

Nerve, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  12. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problems, again credit goes to Rhett :)

Don't forget to change:
    "$domains="www.yourdomain.com,yourdomain.com";"

antman, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  13. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    I couldn't figure it out (bandwidth mod) but I will when I have some spare time. I don't have anything to worry about at the moment because I have 2TB monthly bandwidth.

14. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It only works with PHProxy by the way, and not sure about the new version.

antman, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  15. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    I am proud to say but I have doubled my traffic on the proxy I opened yesterday even on a Sunday. I am running PHP Proxy 0.5b2

16. brainet

brainet Active Member

Best Answers:
    i've tested zulune proxy script, i test to loggon to my gmail account, and guess what, i couldnt do that. But with phproxy i can. any reason why?

has some one tested the zulune script on myspace?

brainet, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  17. antman

antman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't get confused with PHProxy and CGIProxy.

CGIProxy allows you to log in.

antman, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  18. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is really a very nice thread, But I feel that If u do not include the term proxy in the domain name then it suffers in SEO.

Red_Virus, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  19. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    I have not had a problem with SEO due to not having the word "proxy" in the domain. Also I am not into having major money daily spent in domains just because the word "proxy" got it blocked. I am a very nice webmaster. On myspace once I get a complaint about the proxy being blocked I go straight to Go Daddy and buy a brand new domain.

The goal Red_Virus is for us to make a profit from our sites and not go into negatives. If a proxy has a domain without "proxy" in it it will still get good money and good traffic if you advertise correctly. Just what I have found out about my proxies that SEO isn't everything. Happy customers is better.

20. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I agree with our point. But I depend a lot on SEO. I also agree that happy customers is all what everyone wants... & I agree on that also...

But what If your domain which does not has "proxy" term is blocked as it is also a proxy. then what will be your course of action?

Red_Virus, Jul 15, 2007 IP