1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ctxt_ad_keywords

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by digitalpoint, Nov 13, 2005.

I recently had a peek at the YPN JavaScript code, and from first glance it looks like someone can pass a ctxt_ad_keywords variable to the script to maybe get ads based on keywords. Has anyone else done this? I played around a little bit (just because I was curious) and ended up with the YPN server throwing me an HTTP 500 Internal Error when trying to use it.

So I'm thinking it must have to be enabled per account. I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they can somehow enable it for me, because YPN ads are a joke right now as far as I'm concerned. They don't seem to have the ability to determine the page content contextually and the categories where you can tell YPN what your site is about are so broad that they are pretty useless too.

From http://ypn-js.overture.com/partner/js/ypn.js:
    if (w.ctxt_ad_keywords) {
      ctxt_ad_interface_full = ctxt_ad_interface_full +
        "&ctxtKeywords=" + escape(ctxt_ad_keywords);
    }
    Code (javascript):

digitalpoint, Nov 13, 2005 IP
  2. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the domain targetting comes from the interface and does not change a line of code so clearly something happens on their end. Good catch btw. Did you notice ad_market ? Wonder what that is too.

MisterZee, Nov 14, 2005 IP
  3. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be real curious what you find out Shawn - I agree their ad relevence leaves a bit to be desired ... I've brought this up several times via Email and phone - so far, they have just acknowledged the problem and said they are "working on it" and it's still in Beta.

hulkster, Nov 14, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I got the generic answer... "Not at this time."

digitalpoint, Nov 14, 2005 IP