1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Dude's Fish Store

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by sGroup, Nov 3, 2005.

Anyone else see Matt Cutt's blog post this morning?

www*mattcutts*com/blog/more-yahoo-strangeness/

Appearantly the new Yahoo maps have Google's address down as "The Dude's Fish Store." He seems to think its some Yahoo engineers have fun, but I think it's originally internally from Google.

Does anyone know if you have to verify addresses when creating a Yahoo Store?

sGroup, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  2. SwizzleSkids

SwizzleSkids Guest

Best Answers:
    There's definately something "fishy" going on here. Doing a search for "the dude's fish shop" in yahoo brings us to this Yahoo Local page:

http://tinyurl.com/dmplx

Where there is a suspicously verbose review. Then on to the actual store itself:
    http://ca.local.yahoo.biz/thedudesfishstore/index.html
    where there is a picture of cheese featured on the homepage.

So is this a prank on Yahoo's end or Google's end? Or neither?

SwizzleSkids, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  3. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like G is testing to find out where Y is getting the adderss for Y-map and or planning a G-Store.

sGroup, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  4. SwizzleSkids

SwizzleSkids Guest

Best Answers:
    Well - Yahoo appears to have noticed the chatter and has removed the listing and the review from the "local" listings.

However - the store itself is still up. One of the commenters on Matt's original blog post says this:

Interesting....I think I will create a yahoo store with yahoo's address and call it "Google Wannabe, Inc."

By the way - I called the phone number listed on The Dude's Fish Store's website, and got a google employee - he wouldn't say why he created the store - if it was on his own time or G's time. I suggest calling and leaving messages asking fish questions... :)

SwizzleSkids, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  5. vlad7

vlad7 Peon

Best Answers:
  6. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    yup..........................

sGroup, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI FWIW: I had a discussion with someone at Yahoo (who is in a position to know) and he said this was the result of some web scraping tools that picked up some bogus info - i.e. it was not an intentional prank, although that would have been funnier.

hulkster, Nov 11, 2005 IP