1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Header Tags - Does Order Effect SERPs?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Burta, May 24, 2007.

OK so I have been working on a new blog design and I'm trying to integrate Header tags where possible to improve the SEO of the design, but I have found that I'm in a situation where that the parts of the page (like post title) that I want to place in H1 tags are further down the page, and the there are other headings that I'd also like to place in header tags (H2 & H3 tags) that are further up the page, and I'm in a situation where my header tags really could be a bit all over the place.

Do you think Google would frown upon having H1 tags further down a page and having H2 & H3 tags integrated both above and below the H1 tags and out of order?

Burta, May 24, 2007 IP
    KC TAN likes this.
  2. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    So we have an H1 tag which is supposed to say that the text within that tag has more importance than others. And the H2 and H3 tags while still having importance are lower in the hierarchy when compared to the H1 tag. If you do not want to confuse the GoogleBot and achieve the greatest optimisation for your site while retaining the same structure, you should probably use negative margins so that the part with the H1 tag comes first in the HTML code followed by your other tags :)

fluid, May 25, 2007 IP
  3. Alan Murray

Alan Murray Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes they have an effect, but don't over use them. They can make you page look ugly!

Alan Murray, May 25, 2007 IP
  4. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that would have an impact on your SERP. Is there any reason for doing so? Will styling the header tags with CSS helps?

KC TAN, May 25, 2007 IP
  5. toinkzzz

toinkzzz Banned

Best Answers:
    as long as your not abusing the h1 tags,, it's not frowned by SE's...

toinkzzz, May 25, 2007 IP
  6. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will be styling them with CSS. As for why the H1 tag appears after the H2 & H3 tags is just a situations of the most relevant and accurate phrase of text that sums up a page appears lower on the page, so I figured that it should be the one that still recieves the H1 tag.

Personally I only use H1 tags once on a page, and tend to use H2 and H3 tags only a couple of times at most.

Burta, May 25, 2007 IP
  7. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    Heading Tags are important in SEO.
    They are considered as keywords !

priyakochin, May 25, 2007 IP
  8. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK here's a new question - do you think it might be an issue if no H1 tags are used on a page that uses H2 and H3 tags?

Burta, May 29, 2007 IP
  9. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think its a problem.U can use any tags from h1 to h6 !
    They all are considered as keywords !

priyakochin, May 29, 2007 IP
  10. hadiyarobins

hadiyarobins Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes they have an effect.

hadiyarobins, May 29, 2007 IP
  11. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Put it this way what's the meaning of a H3 tag without a H1 tag? It's relative importance we're talking about and in the absence of a definitive comparison, it's meaningless.

fluid, May 29, 2007 IP
  12. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    But if his design allows only h3 tag then ?
    So that's why I said all are having equal importance !

priyakochin, May 29, 2007 IP
  13. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if i understand this correctly? Are you talking about the default font size given to H3 tags? If you are, then CSS can be used to format the tags as you want them to appear - so you can use a H1 tag and format it as H3 - if you understand what i mean.

In the presence of a H1 tag, the H3 tag will have less importance. However although in the absence of a H1 tag, the H3 tag is objectively right it is undoubtedly incorrect semantically.

fluid, May 29, 2007 IP
  14. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but Google has often stated they aren't overly concerned with semantics, so perfect code isn't my highest concern (especially seeing I'm not personally designing or code the design) I'm more interested in the SEO effects.

So I guess a better question - is having H3 tags minus the presence of H1 tags likely to result in better search results than just having the text in the H3 tags just resized the traditional way and not having header tags at all on the page?

Burta, May 29, 2007 IP
  15. fluid

fluid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a better answer - tags like H1,H2,H3, bold, italics puts more emphasis on the text it surrounds, therefore it will add more weight and increase your rankings for the keyword used. So yes, in that specific situation, having the H3 tag will have more benefit (although not a lot) than not having it.

fluid, May 29, 2007 IP