1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Editor Very Helpful

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jasber, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    My first topic here, I'm a bit of a lurker.

I figured I would talk about my recent dealings with a Dmoz editor.

I had submitted my site to Dmoz probably 3 months ago. After about a month, I asked on resource-zone, and was basically told to wait longer.

After waiting another one or two months, I decided it couldn't hurt to contact the editor of my category directly.

After sending him an e-mail, he promptly added my site to dmoz, and he even submitted his own site to my site (my site is a directory).

I've heard a lot of things about "evil editors" at Dmoz, and I understand first hand that things can be quite slow sometimes. However, if you are in the same situation that I was in, perhaps a friendly e-mail the editor would help?

Best of luck.

Jasber, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looks good on paper, but you had something of a rare occurrance IMO.

Many catagories dont have editors, or have editors that havent checked their catagories in months or even years.

If your catagory doesnt have an editor or the editor is MIA - there is little you can really do about it, just sit and wait.

If you have a problem with the editor, or there is no editor, for the most part there is nobody to help you. There is a forum, but most of the time they tell you to wait or make you feel stupid cause you wasted their time by asking them to help -- your just suppose to click the ADD URL button, and then wait - 6 months, a year, whatever.

joeychgo, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  3. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Arg. That's annoying. I guess I won't hold out hope for getting my sites listed on DMOZ any time soon. Maybe I'll give Jasber's suggestion a shot in another month or so...

jebby, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  4. Jan

Jan Peon

Best Answers:
    Had a similar experience (helpful editor) early this year.

Jan, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few good ones out there - and its isnt fair to not consider that. But many are not helpful or MIA.

6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    In my experiance, most of the "lowly" category editors are nice and helpful. It's the meta editors and "edit alls" that are a little two high up on there horses :rolleyes: .

ViciousSummer, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  7. Jasber

Jasber Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had trouble getting listed for previous sites, and I figured this site would have the same problem.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see a quick (got back to me within 24 hours, and returned my second e-mail in under 5 minutes) and professional response.

Not trying to say it will work for everyone, but it is worth a shot. Plus, I hear a lot of bad things about Dmoz editors, so I thought it would be a nice change to hear something positive.

Jasber, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    absolutely its nice, gives me some hope :)

9. quadcity

quadcity Peon

Best Answers:
    >your just suppose to click the ADD URL button
    It says "suggest URL." They are upfront about no promises of inclusion.

quadcity, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  10. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you get in touch with the editor for your category? I can't seem to find any way to contact the editor (not that this is surprising).

jebby, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  11. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    If you go to the category that you're interested in, at the bottom there should be a link titled "Category Editor: WhoEverEdits". Click on that link and you can send an email to the editor.

ViciousSummer, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  12. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing as how there's no link on my category, I guess my category doesn't have an editor--which would explain the delay in getting listed.

jebby, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  13. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    A couple of points to note.

Having an editor name under a category means nothing. There could be an editor named who is busy with other things, and has not edited for a couple of months. Sending him an email is just plain annoying, if you just want to get him to list your site faster.

And the reverse - having no editor named, means nothing, I'm named as editor in around 30 categories, but I'm actually editing in many hundreds of category.

So you may look at those categories and think nobody edits there, but they have all had work done in them in the last month.

In addition there are hundreds if editors who can edit in any category.

Searh google for "categories with editors" dummies [include the last word - it's not an insult :D ]

And please only send emails to editors if you have something that has to be sent that way. For example, I've had emails reporting spelling errors in the category, I like that, and they get nice replies.

But if you send me an email asking me to list your site faster, I ignore it. If you do it twice, I call it abuse, and make a note of it in your site log.

macdesign, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  14. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I ask why DMOZ editors list websites in the wrong categories? :D

Hey, I don't mind because I've got a nice BL from the directory, but the point of me actually wanting to get listed on DMOZ was so people can actually search and find me, but when an editor puts me in the wrong category this means I have zip zero nil chance of getting any visitors from DMOZ which really does deafeat the whole purpose of having a directory.

I've tried contacting people via the forum but it's like talking to a wall - any ideas?

Darren :)

DarrenC, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  15. dianaward

dianaward Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a "lowly" DMOZ editor who was unable to edit (personal issues and log in trouble both) for over a year, and just recently got access again to my categories. Around the same time I got an email from a webmaster asking very nicely if I might advise him as to what he needed to change on his website to qualify for listing. Very Good Presentation! I checked his site and saw that it was useful for that category and met all the DMOZ standards, and since I had already checked it, went ahead and listed it before going through the other backlogged sites.

Remember, being listed in a directory isn't a right, but a privilege. (To paraphrase our DMV). The point of having human editors is the "human opinion". The editor is supposed to know the goals of DMOZ and the actual focus of that category and make informed decisions about the sites. A site might be refused for many reasons other than "bias". Some editors are better than others, sure. But your opinion of your website is more likely to be biased than the editor's. As for business bias, DMOZ requries editors to disclose all relationships with any website, and the higher editors monitor for any sign of that type of bias. If you think it really happened, find out who to contact and report it. The offending editor will lose his/her position if the charge is true.

As for listing in the wrong directory, did you submit your site to the right directory and they moved it, or did you just submit anywhere or via a script and expect them to figure out where to put it? I have many sites submitted to my categories that have no connection. Since I enjoy it and DMOZ requests it, I am careful to search out where they would best fit and move them, but don't expect everyone to share your opinion on where your site goes. Submit it to what you believe is the very best spot, and only that spot. Once it's listed in the wrong place, it is much harder to get it moved, and if you resubmit you will probably be ignored as a "spammer".

dianaward, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  16. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi DianaWard. Thanks for that explanation and welcome to DP forums.

jebby, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome Diana and thank you for your comments - your the first editor that has spoken any sense.

Firstly, I submitted my website to the category that I feel it should fit in, it was in that category for well over 14 months, but that's the norm I understand that - I was then told that I would not get listed in that category but they would move my listing to a page which covers the town I live in (no one will have heard of my town unless you live local!) - fair enough I thought I'm in DMOZ Im in the Google directory, but that wasn't the point of submitting my website, it was to get listed in a category which users of DMOZ could go to and find the services that I provide, no one is going to go to a town in the middle of no where to find my services, isn't this the point of having a directory?

The DMOZ search is defunct so how is my listing truely going to benefit the DMOZ directory? No one can find it - all it is a link to my website - useless to me and to anyone wanting to find a website offering my type of services.

I have tried communicating with editors on the resource source forum who aren't very forthcoming with information - it smells .. but I don't have any proof that the editor is a competitor so what's the point going down that path.

I have to say that every directory I have submitted to have communicated well, submitted the website in a timely manner, and yes, these too are human edited directories - fair enough I am sure they don't get the amount of SPAM and crap DMOZ gets - but come on, things need to change at DMOZ but the people there won't listen to webmasters, or searchers, thats the reason why you get so many forum threads on SEO websites slagging off DMOZ and what it offers IMO

Maybe someone can give me a reason why the site wasn't listed in the correct category, but this isnt the place to do it, and the resource zone in my opinion is full of igotistic editors (with a select few newer more helpful editors) So it will sit there as a link - no use to anyone

END OF RANT

Darren :)

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  18. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly-many editors edit categories to help out...not just the main ones they're assigned to.

Also, NEVER attempt to bribe or trade with an editor. That will get you virtually blacklisted, with no hope of ever coming out of the hole. I've received several bribes (I edit a category with a PR of 7 related to web design), and it hasn't been pretty.

younghistorians, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  19. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Hey Darren! You should email the person that edits the category you are currently listed in and let them know that your site is about *VACATION* rentals. Not many people in the US know that "holiday" is UK for "vacation" :p. I think that the editor that put your site in the local category must have thought that your services are for local residental rentals, rather then vacation rentals. Then again, if they do decide to move your listing, it will probably sit for another year or so before it gets listed in the correct cat... :rolleyes:

ViciousSummer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  20. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    can u send me mail of any dmoz editor

seoindia, Jun 8, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.