1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The lazy man's way to get links...

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm not into "reciprocal" linking, and I've found that you can get a TON of links simply by giving away cool stuff. Then you don't even need to ask for links. Our keyword tracker has brought 500-600 links so far, keyword suggestion tool about 200, etc. I also recently released a system where you can easily add search functionality to any site and that has brought another 1,000 or so links.

So in my book, natural linking seems to be easier (for me at least). The time it takes to actually ask someone for a link, I could make something new to give away. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Spot on Shawn

Foxy, Mar 4, 2004 IP
  3. Mr T

Mr T Guest

Best Answers:
    A bit easier though when you are offering something that webmasters want, cos they are the people with websites to put links on. Not saying its not possible other wise, just not quite as profitable.?

Mr T, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course... If you give away things that brew-masters like, you might get some beer as a "thanks", but not a whole lot of links. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  5. schmeg007

schmeg007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I agree with your strategy for getting backlinks. I don't like to do reciprocal linking because I only wish to link to sites that I think my visitors will find interesting/useful. I have gotten most of my links the hard way, which just tells me that I need to improve my web site (surpass w3schools :) ) before I will start seeing a large influx of links.

However, I do think it's useful to ask for links from web sites with related content and high page rank (6+). Nevertheless, a massive link building campaign is simply too costly, as I cannot afford that time nor pay someone to do it for me. I await the day that I finish school and have the extra time to hopefully develope some useful tools like the ones you at Digitalpoint provide.

schmeg007, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Changing the subject slightly, do the signature links or other links included in post on this forum show up to Google's bots?

compar, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I knew the answer as soon as I hit the submit button. All you have to do is mouse over any link and look at the URL it points to. It is a pure link rather than being handed off by some script as other forums do to avoid link pop.

BTW this is my 30th post so now I should move from a Peon to a Grunt. Damn, I'm not sure that is a promotion :rolleyes:

compar, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  9. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a promotion. There's a bunch of us peons out there that are just wishing we could be grunts. ;)

respree, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  10. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    The trouble is that with Digitial Point the product offered was rather unique - at least, the repertoire was.

So no wonder you built up plenty of links. :)

I. Brian, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... Is a big harder to do without truly unique content. :) Although the bulk of the links to digitalpoint.com have nothing to do with search engine stuff. They come from our Optigold ISP billing software product. Search Google for optigold, and you can see there are a decent number of external links (Optigold is a registered trademark of Digital Point Solutions, so it all has to do with our product... no other products that share the name).

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Any site with information or products that are unique or valuable will attract links. Nobody can deny this, and it is really nice when it happens.

But if you are competing in a really competitive market place you may need thousands of links to get to the top. And I don't think you can get thousands of links without working for them.

compar, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, you *can*, it's just very, very, very difficult. CNN doesn't do link exchanges for example (at least I assume they don't) and they are pretty high up for "news" which is pretty competitive. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  14. JazzyBen

JazzyBen Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that offering unique and valuable free stuff is the lazy option at all.... I have enormous trouble trying to get my clients to give away some of their "valuable" info to get links and traffic (and goodwill and perceived expert status amongst visitors in my opinion).

I do think that trying to get lots of traffic without providing any information value is the option of the lazy, though i agree that it is harder work in the long run.

Ben

JazzyBen, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  15. Mr T

Mr T Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a new site that is going to provide a free service. Its gonna be a really good test of getting free links from providing a free service, cant wait to get it released.

Mr T, Mar 22, 2004 IP
  16. 0BroadProspect

0BroadProspect Peon

Best Answers:
    another way is to simply put a free link exchange plug-in into your site that checks for recipocal links like the new http://www.link-swapper.com and wait for people to see it and exchange links with you, it works great especially if you have many sites
    /BP

0BroadProspect, Apr 14, 2004 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Hasn't there been a lot of talk of these link exchange sites/software eventually being penalized in Google?

I don't think I would be comfortable building a site primarily around links from something like this...why take chances?

GuyFromChicago, Apr 14, 2004 IP
  18. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    In short

Don't do link machines, sites and anything else that is not from your own effort in some way or another as at some time in the future, if not now, you will be penalised.

Foxy, Apr 14, 2004 IP
  19. 0BroadProspect

0BroadProspect Peon

Best Answers:
    using an automated tool does not mean that you are abusing google, it seimply removes a lot of work on your site on managing the links and checking for recipocals, googleguy said it is OK if you do not link to bad places
    so I think that link swapper is OK
    /BP

0BroadProspect, Apr 15, 2004 IP
  20. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's wrong to use, it just makes me a little nervous. Call me scared, but I would hate to build a site's traffic and popularity based on something that may cause problems in the future. That's just me though....to each their own!

GuyFromChicago, Apr 16, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.