1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Signature Links in Forums

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GuyFromChicago, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I

GuyFromChicago, Apr 4, 2004 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that only 1 per forum will work, and only if the site/thread(?) has sufficient PR. Not all forums get indexed.

I have a large number of signature links on forums that are irrelevant to my sites (ie webmastering forums != property investment sites) and potentially blurs the message. I still put them there on the basis that something is better than nothing :eek:

sarahk, Apr 4, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Apr 4, 2004 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shawn.

It appears that yes, links in forums do count. I

GuyFromChicago, Apr 4, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Probably won't purge anything... the keyword tracker data takes infinitely more disk space than the forum. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 4, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    here is another example

LiquidMarkets
    home, web links, forums, your account. Join the LiquidClassifiedsXML Network.
    Welcome to LiquidMarkets [New User]! Featured Ads. Free classified ads! ...
    www.liquidmarkets.com/?name=contact - 44k - Cached - Similar

Foxy, Apr 5, 2004 IP
  7. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I've looked into this a bit this AM and it appears that they do count, however most forum threads are a PR 0 or very low and don't jump up to that magical PR 4 or preferred higher PR. If they do, it seems to take quite a while.

ephricon, Apr 5, 2004 IP
  8. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    The PR of the link is not that important as it has been downgraded in importance recently [in the algorithm] and numbers have become more important...so.....

Foxy, Apr 5, 2004 IP
  9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I was wondering this also, and tested it out in the forums I post in...

I wouldn't link to my new wrestling sites in my sig (in webmaster forums) if it didn't help ;p

schlottke, Apr 5, 2004 IP
  10. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    keep in mind 'relevance'.
    a sig link in a seo forum for wrestling may do more harm than good.
    a wrestling sig link in a sports forum is a better idea.

relaxzoolander, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Some time after Florida and before things returned a little more to normal, I Brian who was a moderator on the IMR forum said many times that he thought links from forums had been devalued by Google.

I can't find the specific thread, but his evidence was based on his own site that had a great many forum backlink and had been demoted by Google. I was never sure that his conclusion was correct. I suppose Google could filter for link from forums, but I doubt they do.

Has anybody got any thoughts or evidence they can offer on this situation?

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would doubt that Google devalues them. The fact that they are within a forum is going to give them little value on their own because they are always going to be many clicks deep, sharing PageRank with many other links (both internal and external).

- Shwn

digitalpoint, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  13. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    from a professional ( and good - specially in earlier years = www.selfpromotion.com ) individualized website submission tool site that i subscribe to since a few years,

i received a few months ago an email - he was asking all his customers to replace his standardized back-links that he offered on his site for customers by individual links wihth individual texts. he said that having too many links with same anchor text has made him drop down in rank ..

so may be there is a point about having too many links with same text all over the www ?

hans, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    i've been posting on the osC boards with my irrelavent terms for months, only to see my rankings improve.. I believe it is do to the fact that there is enough keyword density for the word "wrestling" on the posts I write to, because I generally mention it once, have it in my handle (generally I do not use my last name as my handle, i usually go by jrwrestling), and twice or more in links.

-- Good point, never-the-less.

schlottke, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hans,

A lot of people have suggested exactly that since Florida, but again I'd like to see some concrete evidence. The suggestion is that if there are too many links with exactly the same anchor text that Google will conclude that they are artifical in someway and devalue them.

I suppose they could do this but think of the mechanic of such a filter. They certainly couldn't do it on the fly. They would have to build a database of every inbound link to every site and then run a calculation on the anchor text of every link to see if it either exceeded some absolute number or some predetermined percentage of the total of all backlinks. I just have a real doubt that they have done this.

Besides this, since it is pretty clear that they are using anchor text to determine relevance, when would too many links indicate lack of relevance? There must be a 1000s and 1000s links to CNN -- Google reports 102,000 backlinks -- with the anchor text CNN. Do you think Google has dropped CNN.com in their rankings because there are too many inbound links with the same anchor text. Of course not.

A lot of people were clutching at straws to try and explain what happened in the Florida update. So now we have a whole bunch of completely unsubstantiates claims like this one. I personally don't believe it.

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  16. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    On to the point made by compar:

I have found that it actually does improve you listing in most cases (though not much, i fear.)

I have several different topics for websites (ranging from SEO to design to wrestling news, gear, and other pages related to the sport) - Google doesn't devalue links coming from forums, I don't think... Why? Well, think about it- Posts that are straight BS on good forums get deleted, so google wouldn't need to avoid giving credibility to a crap site from a popular forum. If it is being linked to, it will have relavance because someone thinks it is useful. You get as much out of it as you should. Your links will appear equally to their usefulness in forums. You will get little PR because one persons opinion doesn't matter in a forum, much.

(I just tried making sense of what I wrote and realized it was all over the place, hope its understandable.. lol)

17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Compar- Agreed. Think about almost every website that requests a Link Exchange, or gives visitors the opportunity to link... they all give the visitor the exact same linking info, banner, text, whatever it may be.

18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    It is funny you should say that because I was just finishing reading what you said and I was saying to myself "what the hell is he talking about" and then I read your last line.

Do you agree with me about anchor text? Or do you agree with something I said about forum links? Or what the hell did you mean? :D

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  19. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, Ill try to summarize everything.. LOL.

I agree with everything you've said, basically, and I was just making some other small points.

For instance: When google's teams are working on the algo, they think will think deeply into how a certain decision will alter the effect. Removing the value of a forum post would have a negative effect on the results of a link/PR based algo. Links in forums that are junk would be deleted before google spidered, good links with content value, will stay around to be spidered.

I think it makes more sense this time.

My Mom never said, 'think before you post'. It was always 'think before you speak.'

20. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would really be surprised if G did

GuyFromChicago, Apr 7, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.