1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sudden slip in ranking - and only added keywords to <h2> tag?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by James eMedia, Dec 7, 2006.

Hey all,

Has there been a recent update in Google? We were ranking at number 8 on page 1 of Google (in NZ) for ecommerce. I have taken over SEO for ourselves, and as such have been increasing content quality and keyword relevancy.

However since doing this, we have slipped back to position 13; meaning now we are on page two.

The only change was increasing the keywords in the leading <h2> tag - nothing spammy or untoward.

I have written up high quality, non spammy keywords and description meta tags; however now I am terrified of placing them into the site due to the sudden slip of 5 position ranks (which is a slip from page 1 to page 2 - which is a fairly large slip really).

It is a PR5 site.

Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any input :D

James eMedia, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  2. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've experience a similar situation. From from no where to #7 then dropped to #9 then #13 and I too added a H2 tag but I removed it earlier, lets see if it goes back to page 1.

kevinn, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  3. brentl

brentl Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe your competitors have done some optimization and pushed you back? I'd check out their site to see if you notice any changes.

brentl, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Things change all the time, so don't worry too much.

Assuming you haven't overdone the keywords, and your search phrase is at least moderately competitive, I'd focus on off-page factors - mainly quality links from other sites, with anchor text built around your keywords (but varying a bit).

In my experience, off-site links have a much bigger impact on SERPS than things you do on the page, and are the easiest way to regain a higher position.

Rasputin, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  5. tork

tork Peon

Best Answers:
    Try adding more quality links and content and stop the worry, results move all the time.

tork, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  6. carticasi

carticasi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're probably right.
    a lot of people think there are 2 entities : google and oneself.
    don't forget the other webmasters, maybe they are looking for a better place on search engines and sometimes they succeed in...
    SEO is nothing but a no end battle.

carticasi, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  7. rjcruz

rjcruz Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with carticasi and brentl.
    maybe your competitors pushed you back.
    if you're confident on your onpage optimization, then work on offpage factors like gathering more links. Don't worry too much :D

Good Luck :)

rjcruz, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  8. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    I am starting to do link building for my own site pretty soon as its out of the index altogether

IT

Correctus, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  9. James eMedia

James eMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks heaps for the replies all. Makes me feel welcome :D

I have been keeping an eye on our competitors; many of them are from the govermental TLDs as of late ;)

Content is a fantastic point - right there in my face but it is not the sort of thing you think of immediately... which is strange really

In regards to links... I have a bit to learn in this regard, however I won't immediately run in horror and buy 1,400 links for $5.00 a month, heh

Thanks again, and if anyone has any blinding tips on gaining the ever elusive inbound links that would be great :D

James eMedia, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  10. SEOSURAT

SEOSURAT Banned

Best Answers:
    Have never seen such things with me.. Try to find out what competitor have done on their site to rank better.. and go back to your site and check every things on your site and increase lil bit back links

SEOSURAT, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    While you're thinking about it, use the lists at addurl.nu, directorycritic or info.vileselencer to find some good free directories to submit to. It really does help! Don't worry too much about the directories PR, focus more on the category structure - is there a suitable category for your site and will your link be buried on page 10 of your category.

There's lots of info about getting links here on the DP forums

cheers and good luck

Rasputin, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  12. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I seriously think google is up to something many people are reporting startling new developments in their google SERPS. One of my blog's SERPS changed dramatically too.

Thank You

Diddy1, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  13. candid_kris

candid_kris Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree...also, you may want to create articles and submit them to article directories...:)

candid_kris, Dec 9, 2006 IP