1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon API announcement - no more publishing Amazon reviews?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by markowe, Sep 8, 2010.

Mail just received:

Did I understand this right, that we will no longer be able to display the content of reviews on our site, but rather just a link to reviews on the Amazon site? The Large response group also includes reviews - presumably this will cease to return them too?

I can sort of understand this move, if I have understood it right - reviews are a huge slab of user-created content for Amazon, presumably they don't want affiliates using it to outrank them in the SERPS. But there are a lot of plugins, scripts etc. out there that display Amazon reviews. Chaos round the corner...?

UPDATE: Just found this in the developer docs - "The Reviews reqeust group no longer returns customer review content. Instead, it returns an iframe URL that contains reviews which you can embed on a web page." Yeuch! confirms what I thought though, they want to keep review content for themselves in future. Personally I think maybe that's a good thing, Amazon reviews were causing too much duplicate content out there. We will have to make an effort to create more unique content

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
    markowe, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  2. chovy

chovy Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think it's a poor decision not to include that extra content to users. A lot of what makes people want to use amazon is because they include this user-generated content in their api.

chovy, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  3. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess they must have weighed things up and decided it was in their interest. Like I say, the content is an attraction to affiliates, but Amazon aren't getting value from that if these affiliates are outranking their own product pages in the SERPS. Plus, have you ever Googled for a random sentence from any Amazon review? There are literally thousands of pages duplicating this content, which makes me wonder if it was worth having reviews on my pages anyway...

Well, it is a bit of a blow, but I guess I am used to EPN jerking us around, so this is pretty minor by comparison :)

markowe, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  4. chovy

chovy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that's why they are doing it, but if referrals die off, I hope they at least are tracking to see if it makes a difference and would re-evaluate the decision.

chovy, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  5. Blogfiliate

Blogfiliate Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My guess is that they will not re-evaluate the decision. I can only guess that this came as a result of people changing what actual reviewers said when the content was exported.

I guess this just about puts products like ReviewAzon out of business overnight. That's too bad.

Blogfiliate, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  6. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I thought of ReviewAzon... I guess it's time to adapt, you can never put all your eggs in one basket in this game, someone can come along and change something and your livelihood can be gone overnight...

markowe, Sep 9, 2010 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  7. Blogfiliate

Blogfiliate Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    TheNicheStoreBuilder blog posted up a list of tools that "might" be affected:

* ReviewAzon
    * Amazon AutoPoster
    * Amazon Product in a Post
    * Amazon Machine Tags
    * phpZon
    * Amazon AStores
    * Store Stacker
    * Keywords 2 Websites
    * CompariPress
    * Niche Site Platform
    * Last Amazon Review
    * WP Zon Builder