1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with WPMU 3.0 Installation

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Moushele, Jun 22, 2010.

I'm having issues with a WPMU installation. I tried to install WPMU 2.9.2 in a subdomain at Lunarpages, only to be told that it wouldn't work in a subdomain.

So, I moved the installation to it's own domain at Lunarpages. It installed all right, which was an improvement over running it in a subdomain. The main domain: Merytonpress.com was working fine.

But, then inside the 2.9.2 install it said I needed to upgrade to version 3.0. Easy enough. I've followed all the instructions and managed to get it running correctly but now, I can't get it to create mulitple blogs.

The directions for adding blogs on 2.9.2 don't seem to be the same for 3.0. But, I muddled through and thought I had created a blog. But... when I try to access the backend, I'm getting this error "a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Does anyone out there know how to fix this problem??

Moushele, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Wait. So you have two installations of Wordpress running on the main root AND on a subdomain?

First of all you cannot run multiple blogs on 2.9.2.
    Second, you cannot run multiple blogs on 3.0 if you have another version of Wordpress running on one of your subdomains.

Delete the Wordpress installation from the subdomain, and it's database and then, Follow these instructions to set up a Network on 3.0.
    http://journalxtra.com/2010/06/activating-wordpress-3-0-multi-site-formerly-multi-user-mu/

Important:

hmansfield, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  3. Moushele

Moushele Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I'm really confused....

I thought that the purpose of WPMU was so that multiple users could have blogs on the same installation of Wordpress...

In my case, this would be multiple authors each with their own dashboard and 'blog'. But, your answer says that no way will WPMU cannot run multiple blogs. I'm really confused now.

I wanted an installation that 'looked' like:

maindomain.com
    author1.maindomain.com
    author2.maindomain.com
    author3.maindomain.com

or

maindomain.com
    maindomain.com/author1
    maindomain.com/author2
    maindomain.com/author3

It looked to me like WPMU did just that.

As for running MULTIPLE versions of WPMU on the domain.. I am NOT. Evidently, I didn't explain well enough. So let me start over without all the history of how I got to where I am.

Currently there is ONE installation of WPMU running on merytonpress.com . I installed WPMU 2.9.2, but immediately noticed the note that said I should upgrade to WPMU 3.0. I did that using the upgrade button within WPMU admin panel. I have also cleared all the extra items that couldn't be done automatically with the upgrade button.

But, when I tried to add a new site for a user I get a 500 error when I click the 'visit' button on the site menu. When I click the backend button, I get nothing.

Lunarpages (my host) does not support wildcard DNS but on the Wordpress site, it said that the work around was to create the new subdomains first and then it would work. I did just that.

Moushele, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    OK, from now on, we will just be referring to Wordpress 3.0.......MU and 2.9.2 are over. There is one Wordpress now.

If you your host does not support the wildcard setting then you have to be content with creating your network on folders:

maindomain.com/blog1
    maindomain.com/blog2
    maindomain.com/blog3

Did you follow all of the steps in this tutorial?
    http://journalxtra.com/2010/06/activating-wordpress-3-0-multi-site-formerly-multi-user-mu/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    hmansfield, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO I wouldn't use LunarPages for what you are trying to do. Sadly they are a very run of the mill host. I know this because I have used them in the past. I've used more than a dozen hosts. You do not want to put your time and effort into "making something work" when you can find a host that will fully support WordPress and start from there.

I am not a huge fan of Host Gator although I do have an account with them, and I do promote their affiliate program. They do support the WildCard.

Hopefully this post will shed some light for you:

And

hmansfield's site: http://premium.wpmudev.org/ is pretty awesome!

Good luck.

internetmarketingiq, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Just to be clear, I am a member and I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone who running or trying to build a Wordpress multi user or blog network.
    There is no better resource for Wordpress network administrators anywhere.

But it's not my company.

hmansfield, Jun 23, 2010 IP