1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do images pay more?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by Solicitors Mortgages, May 16, 2005.

i have my 4x text ad banner set to both text and images....
    very occasionally i get the odd banner image ..instead of the 4 text links,
    i would assume (but cannot confirm) that the advertiser would pay google MORE to have all 4 spaces...with an image...so can i assume that my
    earn per click would be 4 times higher...if someone actually clicks on an image add?

i cannot determine this myself, as i have no idea what has been clicked ..and what hasn't, has anyone got a 'guestimation' they could share?

thanx
    Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages, May 16, 2005 IP
  2. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the images would be worth more, as they'd have to beat out 4 text ads on the same topic to get shown.

When I switched from text-only to text and image, my eCPM went up by almost 30%.

thebassman, May 16, 2005 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    But did you're overall clickthru go down?

mopacfan, May 16, 2005 IP
  4. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Yes images are worth more. But I think the average surfer today is really sick of banners. I think you will find the ctr of text banners is far greater for this reason. Personally I have found the original text banners to be most effective with adsense.

Homer, May 16, 2005 IP
  5. thebassman

Best Answers:
    My overall click-through did not go down at all... in fact, though it's only been about a month since I let the image ads on my site, it's been slightly up (like 0.5%)... It will obviously vary from site to site, but I think my visitors appreciate the contextual image ads... gives the regular users a little variaty. ;)

6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is my feeling and that's why I was asking. I just have a hard time believing anyone clicks on banners anymore.

7. thebassman

Best Answers:
    As long as the banners stay fresh, I think they will pull a better CTR than the text ones if they're running where normally text banners are shown... especially on sites where those of us try to integrate the text ads into the site layout (same colors, etc). Makes the image banners stand out more.

8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad they're doing well for you. I'm just surprised by the fact that you're experiencing good results. I think that's outside the norm. But who cares if you're making money :D

9. dcanfield

dcanfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use to agree with this but it depends on your traffic. A banner for A motorcycle company was showing on my site and the clickthru rate blew my mind away.

After I added the option on my adsense to display banners my cpc average increased by 18 cents after a week.

dcanfield, May 16, 2005 IP
  10. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    The banners do pay more, in my experience. I allow banners or text ads on the vast majority of my sites, but on my blogs I use only the text ads. I've found that since disabling the banner ads on my blogs, people are clicking more.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 17, 2005 IP
  11. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have always assumed that the images pay more as well.

I think by having both it "mixes it up" a bit more and there is less ad blindness.

Also, some of the banners are really effective and have button type graphics that say things like "click here". I'm sure that helps.

MattL, May 17, 2005 IP
  12. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    The "click here" button is an absolutely essential part of any good banner layout. It's banner basics really. Banners 101. Any banner without a "click here" button is just asking to be ignored. Needless to say I use "click here" with all my banners. :D

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 17, 2005 IP
  13. pchere

pchere Peon

Best Answers:
    They do have some good banners. But I feel banner blindness is increasing.

pchere, May 18, 2005 IP
  14. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's surprising how many you see with no call to action at all.

MattL, May 18, 2005 IP
  15. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Banners are often created by graphics professionals who are looking to make everything as pretty as possible. They are in "pretty" mode when designing, when they should be in "pretty/effective" mode. Or should it be called "form/function" mode?

As for me, most of my banners are as ugly as sin, but they all have the "click here." Heh.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 18, 2005 IP
  16. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of image Google ads versus ads from affiliates e.g., CJ site theme-related ads?

The reason I ask is that I've stayed away from image ads because
    a) I've become so banner-blind that I assume everyone else has;
    b) the affiliate ads, Amazon ads, CTR etc. have been extremely disappointing for me.

tradefor, May 18, 2005 IP
  17. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I allow both, and as all say, it definitely has to pay more for the 4 spots to G. No guesses about CTR from me.

honey, May 18, 2005 IP
  18. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like it's time to experiment a bit. I allowed text/banners in one of my ad spots on one site for a while and didn't see any results - but my overal ad effectiveness on that site has improved a great deal since then so maybe now some banners might work well.

We'll see.

BigEasy, May 19, 2005 IP
  19. dcanfield

dcanfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have always had bad epreiences with banners but the google banners actually seem to pull very good. Of course if I was paying 40 cents to have someone click on my banner I would definitely want tightly targeted traffic and that seems to be exactly what google has accomplished for the most part.

dcanfield, May 21, 2005 IP
  20. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

That's comparing apples to oranges...CPA and CPC. You may get similar CTR but CTR doesn't matter with aff ads, only conversion matters. Assuming CTR is equal that is.

MattL, May 21, 2005 IP