1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Google really detect and punish comment spamming?

Discussion in 'Google' started by hootoo.com, Nov 26, 2009.

OK, I saw this thread just now, and also had a look at google webmaster official blog.

While my first reaction is: really?

I have been monitering some websites since this April which rank well on many medium competitive keywords, and almost 98% of their backlinks are from blog and guestbook comments, and they rank WELL!!

Sometimes their rankings do drop, but after dropping more link comments, their positions get back.

So my question is: Is Google really able to tell spammy comments? If yes, why spammy sites rank so well? Why not ignore those comments?

Your feedback appreciated, thanks.

What is an irony is that when I do a link:www.spammysite.com search, I find that google count spammy comments as their backlinks,:eek:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    hootoo.com, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  2. lambda1

lambda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, i dont think Google can punish comment spamming. If it was so easy, then everyone could get rid of their Competitors easily :D

lambda1, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  3. Jontish

Jontish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True what lambada said there. They should focus on ways to reward instead of punish, that way people won't have the same possibility to getting rid of competitors as easy.

Jontish, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  4. cipals15

cipals15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it was clarified at Google Webmaster Blog that they don't penalize spam comments as long as it follows their guidelines.

cipals15, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  5. iwillguide

iwillguide Peon

Best Answers:
    hello,
    google won't punish for comment spamming .its give punish in ext ream cases other wise lot of high PR sites could loose their serp rankings because most sites back links depend on blog commenting so there will be no chance for site who have less competitive keywords but there are many other ways to get back links ..blog commenting take lot of time .we can use free press releases and squido lenses

iwillguide, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  6. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    its consider as back link but give little link juice to site

newlogo, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  7. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does what Google wants. If they get up on the wrong side of the bed tomorrow and decide that "spammy" links makes their butt itch, then they change the algorithm. That's why I can't stand them, they govern how we build websites. If you want to have spam links then you should be able to. They are kind of hard to get these days because more and more blogs and forums block out that stuff with Askimet, etc., but if you can get 'em, more power to you.

The thing is; people think they KNOW what Google does and how they operate. They don't. It's all guessing games. If someone who "used" to work on the algorithm quits to become an SEO expert, they just change up the algorithm.

Build the site to please your guests and yourself, you can't go wrong. Get solid backlinks on relevant sites and hopefully you will do well. If the site you link on is similar in nature but a little different, then people might actually visit it because the link is there. That's the point of backlinks, not some stupid rank. Page rank don't mean a damn thing, it is SERP that matters. How many times you show up in search keywords is the main thing, not what Google thinks of your site by giving it some trumped up "rank" they change on a whim. You are chasing ghosts worrying about page rank. Sure, it looks cool to other webmasters and you might get some high end advertisers doped up on your website, but in reality it is simply a number.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  8. FREE BET

FREE BET Peon

Best Answers:
    they cant punish the site commenting because it will give a tool for competitors to tarnish other peoples sites, if ure gonna comment, make sure its niche relevant and the comment is worthwhile...

FREE BET, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  9. rikv

rikv Member

Best Answers:
    Google is a company.
    A decent company helps clients and are getting paid for this.
    How can a company regulate a client?
    How can they "punish" a client?
    If you produce a flashsite for photography (read: lots of pictures, no or less writing-content), then you're punished in pageranking.
    What is spamming actually? Leaving your marks behind, or a newssite that starts a auto-videoclip with ads, eating your bandwith?
    How can you order/pay services to Google, if you can get "punished"?
    Who's the client actually? We or Google?

rikv, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  10. traged

traged Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

on official bing.com blog, there are reasons why a site can be penalized by bing. One of the reason is this one:

"Many inbound links coming from irrelevant blog comments and/or from unrelated sites"

One of my pages has backlinks almost only from not related dofollow blog comments - it was indexed by bing with good placement but after two weeks, it disappeared from bing SERPs. Bing webmaster tool still shows 85 backlinks with good page score (mostly PR3-PR5).

So for me it seems that bing DEFINITELY penalize backlinks from blog comments :( Is google the same? I am not sure...

traged, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  11. rikv

rikv Member

Best Answers:
    Free internetland became a land with domains ruled by sheriffs with their own ideas about law and order.

rikv, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  12. www.livesportz.com

www.livesportz.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    spammy comments are bad, but i don't know if they watch this kind of comments or no .

www.livesportz.com, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  13. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about punishment, but in 99% of cases, google detects comment spams.

rehash, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  14. traged

traged Peon

Best Answers:
    If i make a comment, i always read the article and always make meaningful comment related to this article - is this a spam??

So it seems that it is possible to get competitors banned from bing easily! Thats really nice, thanks bing :mad:

I still hope google is not that dumb - does somebody know how google is dealing with blog comments??

traged, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  15. tomatir

tomatir Peon

Best Answers:
    Google not punish for spam comments, but rank of site goes down when this comments deleted. Google detect that link is not permanent. Now links start "work" from 7-14 days.

tomatir, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  16. athulbnair

athulbnair Active Member

Best Answers:
    no they will not punish commenting.. comments improve the backlinks and thereby increase your PR...

athulbnair, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  17. athulbnair

athulbnair Active Member

Best Answers:
    and PR will decrease if the backlinks decrease, ie if the comments are deleted by the blog owners.....

athulbnair, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  18. mash240

mash240 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think its far too hard to for google to establish if a comment is spammy or not. They would risk punishing sites that are innocent. Pretty sure they have bigger fish to fry.

mash240, Nov 28, 2009 IP
  19. cheska

cheska Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Google is Google. They are the authority. We can't tell them "hey that is a spammy comment" when they do the crawl.

cheska, Dec 8, 2009 IP
  20. scheng1

scheng1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe comments spam on related niches is treated differently from comments spam on unrelated niches.

scheng1, Dec 8, 2009 IP