1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Crawl dates importance

Discussion in 'Google' started by falco85, Sep 8, 2006.

Hello,
    last post at Matt Cutts blog shown how crawl dates do not effectively update everytime a crawler visits your page. In fact, this date gets updated when the crawler finds new content on your page.

Now I am asking myself: is it important to keep the page changing everytime even if there is nothing really new, just to keep crawlers attention up? Could it affect indexing and SERPS in any way?

For instance, you could simply change a copyright notice or some punctuation to have an update of your crawl date, I suppose. I am asking myself if this is good for your site, and if such behaviour is "ethical" towards the search engines :)

Thank you for your contribution! :)

Falco85

falco85, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  2. justtupeu

justtupeu Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen sites that haven't updated for a long time ( mainly history related stuff ) that still rank well, and I've also seen pages that change almost daily, and still manage to rank well for certain keywords..
    And changing a little footer note to make crawlers believe your site has been updated is surely unethical.. though I'm not sure if crawlers are that stupid :)

justtupeu, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  3. billyzelsnack

billyzelsnack Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not unethical. It's your web page, you can do whatever you want to it.

billyzelsnack, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  4. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Dont build your website or do anything with it for the spiders.

Build it for the users and everything will work out.

*edit 2000th post! :)

aaron_nimocks, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  5. Dabs

Dabs Peon

Best Answers:
    Build it for the users. Users like random content too, you know. Pages get boring if its the same joke every time.

Dabs, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  6. falco85

falco85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality links are key if you want to rank well at google. I'm still wondering how to get them cheaply :D

falco85, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  7. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I might set up my own link trading site. But! Only for PR4 links and higher. What do you think??

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  8. cdx

cdx Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it's just a waste of time to think all day long what the spiders will think... Focus on your users. You get more points for that.

More than that- If you really want to add more content, just add more content to the page. Do it just for your users and than the SE will give you more credit.

cdx, Sep 9, 2006 IP