1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New AdSense Reporting Is Here!

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by digitalpoint, Mar 18, 2004.

The #1 request for Google AdSense is finally here... You can now define "Channels" to isolate your reporting within AdSense.

It's about time is all I have to say.

For those of you without an AdSense account, you can check out a screenshot here.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I just logged in and checked my adsense account, and did a quick once over of the functionality of the new tools. Looks impressive - I'm looking forward to tinkering with it over the coming weeks.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've already added it... So different sites, and also setup a channel for the web based tools on Digital Point. So now just waiting to have some data to report on. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ditto on that ABOUT time - finally!

I'm real glad that when I first setup Google Adsense, I used externally referenced .JS files (instead of embedding in the HTML itself) that were semi-grouped in areas of interest, so will be super-duper easy to take advantage of the Channel Stuff.

You imply Shawn that you'll "report" on some data when you gather it - have they loosened up the TOS so that you can "officially" share war stories, or are they still tight about it? Would be real interesting to read how folks are doing and some lessons learned.

alek
    http://www.komar.org/

hulkster, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    My only complaint is the reporting for the channel data is lagged by 48 hours. I have been using it long enough that I do have channel specific data for 1 1/2 days. But as far as I know, Google still doesn't allow sharing the info, so... :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 21, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I set up all my channels on Sunday afternoon and copied in all the code. I still am not showing any channel data???

compar, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I definitely have channel data... The data is available exactly at midnight PST. (for example last night the channel data from Monday showed).

Make sure you are doing a date range that is in the past... I always do Last 7 Days, All Channels, sorted by Both.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shawn I'll keep trying. I'll let you know when it does show up.

BTW I got my February check today. It the largest month payment yet.

compar, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got my Channel report. Interesting data.

compar, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  10. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

since i have some 1000+ html pages on my site
    i would surely love to do all changes in color or channels in a few external .js files rather than to change all html files ( and upload again ).
    i am using almost all my js in external js and know how to do that

but please how are you doing the google adsense exactly as external js ??
    could you give one exact sample pls

hans, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have all my AdSense code in Server Side Includes. With the new tracking it meant building a SSI for each channel. But the benefit is that I will be able to experiment with all the colours and sizes etc by changing one file per channel. Nothing could be simpler.

compar, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  12. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say, I've been pretty surprised at some of the data I've received so far. Pages I thought were bringing most of the adsense clicks weren't, and pages I thought weren't doing a thing, were.

The new reporting is great. I've learned more about what's working and what's not in adsense today than I have in the past two months.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Hans,

As with many things, there are a number of ways to "include" externally referenced files (server-side includes, Apache mod_rewrites, dynamic generated content, etc.) There are advantages/disadvantes to each that I won't go into here.

My approach is to simply reference an external .js file which has the Adsense code in it ... and since all of the "same/similar pages" use the same .js code, it's simply a matter of updating that one.

For instance, type "Biggest BBQ Grill" into Google and do a view source on the #1 entry. The same reference to "bbq.js" is used throughout my BBQ pages ... so when the channel stuff became available, it was simply a matter of updating that one file, and they all are now "assigned" to that channel - ditto with other parts of the site such as The Incredible Hulk which (of course) uses hulk.js and is now assigned to the Hulk channel ;-)

alek

hulkster, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  14. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    alek

thanks for tha fast reply
    i'll have a deep look into it
    and see whats best and how to.

is this version still fully compliant with google requirements of NOT changing any code ??

hans, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  15. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the question about "fully compliant" but there are no issues from what I can tell with what I did - in fact, using an approach such as this just makes sense! ;-)

alek

hulkster, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  16. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    here the reason of my question re compliant

on google's page about:

Google AdSense Technical Implementation Guide
    How to implement the AdSense JavaScript in your web page

https://www.google.com/adsense/faq-tech

---------- snip
    2. Adding the JavaScript code to your web page

Please note: You must paste the AdSense ad code into your web pages without making any modifications to the code.
    ---------- snap

the reason why i asked is i did NOT read all details about possible exceptions of changing code
    google of course has all pages cached and has easy job to veryfy if original code present or NOT ..

in worst of all cases they may delete account if original code missing or modified unless permitted somewhere in writing ... would be my guess

hans, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  17. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm NOT a spokeperson for Google, nor am I a lawyer, but I assure you that anyone with a decent size site is using some sort of approach as I mentioned above - hardly anyone would hand-code all this - everyone looks to doing dynamic generation of stuff as much as possible.

I guess if you were to split hairs, someone could have a cron process that generates .HTML files with the Adsense code as-is ... but in actual practice, just about all of the various approach generate basically the same code from the browser/clients point-of-view.

alek

P.S. WRT hand-coding: I'm almost certainly very much in the minority in that the vast majority of my stuff *IS* hand-coded ... using "vi" (and Tidy for checking) ... is anyone else out there as much as a dinosaur as I am! ;-)

hulkster, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  18. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes
    i agree
    and google may offer different approaches one day if there is a need for larger sites to get code in different ways "on the fily" into pages as well.

hans, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  19. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    channels optimize out informations..its good

syedwasi87, Aug 21, 2005 IP