1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN Results Biased to IIS servers?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by ImVickieB, Feb 24, 2005.

Not sure if this has shown up here already (did a quick search and didn't see anything) but there is a small report that shows that MSN may be biased to sites hosted IIS servers It's an interesting read: http://www.ivor.it/goog/index.html

ImVickieB, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  2. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    interesting read. It wouldn't shock me to find out there was a part of the MSN Search algo that gave more weight to sites running IIS.

chachi, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Very facsinating. Depending on the amount of fact to this story that actually exists, it would be good news for those of us that host on IIS servers.

mopacfan, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  4. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    this dont supprise me at all, actually nothing microsoft does shocks me now.

TheWebJunkie, Feb 24, 2005 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to say that my sites running on IIS servers are doing better than non-IIS based hosted sites...

NewComputer, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  6. da22in

da22in Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe a higher percentage of quality sites reside on Windows servers? Where's the study for that? It's not surprising. Google has a sandbox and MSN likes IIS...although one is only theoretical. So, you dumping Apache yet?

I do extremely well all over MSN Search....more power to 'em!

da22in, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  7. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this is total nonsense. How often have the "sample searches" been done by this site? To get a realistic overview it must have been done numerous times for many many keywords to get a general result. For example when you search for windows tips or microsoft topics you will probably find more IIS Server-based websites compared to when you look for Linux stuff. I personally use IIS because it's a way better server app for my needs compared to Apache.

Also think about this, IIS has gained a lot of market share with the introduction of Windows 2003. Since it is pretty new mostly new sites are using IIS and not old sites. We all know of the sandbox effect on Google which doesn't exist on MSN. So there's your reason why there are more IIS sites in MSN than Google :-P so think before bashing Microsoft for no reason. I like them a lot more than Google. Google even tries to introduce Smart Tags now which Microsoft wasn't "allowed" to so better bash them!

EDIT:
    I forgot to add this. Most of us who rank well in MSN also rank well in Yahoo, but often don't in Google. So does Yahoo prefer IIS too? I don't think so, the reason MSN has more IIS sites than Google does is only the one mentioned above!

Chrissicom, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  8. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This page came back as the number one search result for "hosted iis" on Google. The funny thing about "Irony" is that it is so "Ironic".

Help Desk, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    There is an OS and a Search Engine war going on that is one in the same, what do you think :confused:

Is it possible that MSN will lower sites that are ADSENSE publishers in their SERP's to favor those that run MSN ADS?

What do you think :confused:

Could Yahoo do the same thing :confused:

How about Google :confused:

anthonycea, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  10. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    As 'AnthonyC conspiracy theory' as this sounds, I believe it is already taking place.

NewComputer, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Have oil companies ever been convicted of price fixing :confused:

This is mean business folks, has M$ ever crushed a competitor before or locked others out of markets :confused:

12. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    AC,

For once, you and I are on the same page. Good to see you...

NewComputer, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  13. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Maybe, maybe not. However, if one did wouldn't you choose the other that did not? It seems like a pretty easy call to refrain from including that in any algorithm. Developers aren't lifetime employees. The will eventually leave and they will eventually squeal. It seems this is a little too easy to "leak out".

Help Desk, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  14. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    A rational explanation: IIS omits the full TCP connection reset handshake (breaking the protocol), to converse bandwidth. Crawling the same page on an Apache server in theory has a larger TCP/IP overhead compared with IIS (again, it breaks protocol, this "feature" is not a good thing in general).

Therefore it's possible IIS servers get deeper crawls as a consequence of this, which could mean more prominences in SERPs.

Secondly, they built IIS, they probably know how to crawl an IIS server, better than they do an Apache one.

nullbit, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
  16. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    That's total nonsense, I am #1 at MSN and use only Google Ads on my site. As I stated before I also don't think that MSN is biased to IIS results. MSN is biased to new and fresh content if you want to say it like that and there are more new sites with IIS than old sites with IIS that's why some people might speculate about MSN being biased to IIS.

Chrissicom, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Ever hear of .net and passport?

Do you think M$ might be bias to their own platforms?

Were they convicted of being a monopoly :confused:

anthonycea, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  18. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    It is not illegal to be a monopoly. It is illegal to act like one.

Help Desk, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  19. YoungCoder

YoungCoder Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think MSN would be biased like that, after-all, their search results are meant to be "more powerful" than googles so if they start cutting out the non IIS servers they arent going to be very good results :p

YoungCoder, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  20. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree ... too early in the game for that ... they need more market share. the pie is not big enough to start slicing it up ... if they wanted to that is.

skattabrain, Apr 6, 2005 IP