1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

100 Reasons DP Sucks (Counter Arguments)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GameOver, Apr 12, 2008.

I can't believe what I have just seen, some guy has made a post in his blog; "100 reasons why DP sucks" and every single reason is wrong. He's blog can be found here: http://www.lightningshock.com/2007/12/20/100-reasons-digital-point-sucks/. Here are the arguments, followed by my own counter arguments:

1. It’s Spammer infested
    - Although there is an occasional spammer, it is nearly impossible to prevent spammers in any forum. We have mods who act appropriately and delete the threads in a matter of minutes.

2. They think Google’s Toolbar PageRank is important (which it’s not)- Yes it is. It is a representation of your importance in the google search engine and is used extensively when selling and buying links.

3. They think submitting to Web Directories is important- it is a highly effective way of increasing backlinks.

4. They think Reciprocal Link Building is important- If you want a site with traffic then this is

5. They think Article Submissions are important- he obviously does not know anything about SEO and criticizes all methods, lol

6. They think Press Releases are important- another good way to increase traffic

7. They think submitting via Social Bookmarks is important- a very good and important way to increase traffic

8. They actually applaud participation in Link Programs
    - yes, there are some very good link programs out there

9. No creative Forum Icons- it doesn't matter how the site looks, it is the community atmosphere that counts

10. They think “Google is Evil” to a certain extent, for example, penalizing directories- the amount they cost google is nothing and it has hurt many directory owners

11. They promote splogs- no, not splogs, blogs, and good quality ones too, unlike your own.

12. They promote Espionage- never heard of it

13. They promote Link Scheming- no

14. They promote Blackhat SEO techniques- well is you are so against normal SEO techniques such as link exchange and article and directory submission, the only way left for you to promote your blog is this method, oh, and by the way, we don't

15. They promote Stumble Exchanges- if some people want to do this they can, everyone has different promotion methods

16. They promote Digg Exchanges
    - same as above

17. They promote Clickbank Posts- never seen this

18. It sits on a sub-domain- yes it is

19. It’s too big- thats a good thing, your forum is too small

20. Members have tried to sell their accounts- and they have been banned

21. Trying to filter all the good posts from the bad posts is like finding a needle in a haystack- I disagree, there is lots of great info here

22. They actually have an “Interesting Junk” dropdown menu in their forum toolbar (Under “Fun Stuff”)- can;t see that anywhere

23. Reputation is disabled in the “Members List”- you give reputation on a members quality post, not through the member list. You need to brush up on your vBulletin knowledge

24. For DP: Quantity > Quality- however, the quantity and quality are both far better than other forums

25. Their “Greenish” Color Scheme reminds me of Vomit- it reminds me of DP, this guys blog has a crap design.

26. Their Link Exchange / Sales Forums have over 460,000 posts- i wonder why it is so popular then?

27. They banned Alexander the Great- never seen this member, besides, people don;t get banned for no reason.

28. They have an entire forum devoted to Keyword Tracking and what is bad about this?

29. The Administrators don’t care about the quality of the forums- they are fully dedicated about making the best webmaster forum and they have done exactly that

30. The Moderators don’t care about the quality of the forums
    - you of combined the last two, therefore does not count

31. They hire paid forum posters- no we don;t, that would be pointless and a waste of money

32. Just look at some of Nintendo’s Pictures- yeah...

33. They ban members for silly reasons (like thread bumping)- no, you get an infraction, completely different thing

34. They got banned from Stumble Upon- and...

35. There’s a”Politics and Religion” sub-forum, it’s suppose to be a webmaster forum- it is in the general chat, a section that almost every forum on the net has

36. Everything is about links, links, and more links to them- yes, that is the way to increase traffic and search engine rankings

37. Insults seem to be tolerated (like here)- dont even understand this one

38. Just looking at the site hurts my eyes
    - maybe it is your crappy computer

39. Threads often go off-topic- not often, very rarely

40. Don’t Piss off Crazy_Rob, he’ll ban you- is this just because you got banned

41. They actually have a “Personal Attacks” Sticky, as if insults weren’t obviously bad.- this reason is a piece of crap

42. Copy and Pasted Articles flourish- if they are interesting

43. Too many self-promo threads- if it is spam, the users will be banned

44. Too many link-drop threads- same as previous reason

45. Some members are arrogant, and believe competing communities are jealous.- well they are :)

46. They condescend towards Doug Heil as if his IHY community is second-rate- never heard of this guy before

47. Lots of cell phone spam- sorry, but never seen this

48. They overvalue “Article Marketing” not overvalue but we think it is important to some extent

49. Many new webmasters get sucked into their logic- logic is logic and DP's logic is good logic

50. Profanity filter is turned off
    - don't know what this is

51. Their logo’s odd- and it is good, no reason to change

52. You can’t even make out what’s underneath their logo (it looks something like a barcode)- its time to buy a new monitor, your colors are wrong (looks like vomit), it hurts your eyes and you can even see the stuff on the screen

53. All their “Google” Stickies relate to PR- no

54. People who generally try to help others out go relatively unnoticed- then why do all the regular members have many reps

55. Their membergroups are insulting (Peon, Grunt, etc.)- this blog post is insulting

56. They have over 500 self-proclaimed “SEO Experts“- where, how, where is your proof

57. The forums look nothing like the main site- thats because the forums ARE nothing like the main site and the main site does not use VB

58. Their forum design is uninspiring- maybe your success is what is uninspiring you

59. They don’t care who they ban, even high-ranking contributing members- again I repeat, people do not get banned for no reason.

60. HTML isn’t a sub-forum of programming, like the rest of the web languages- it dosen;t matter where the forum is because it is the quality that matters. Every time I have posted a question I have got an answer within 20 minutes

61. There is no moderation accountability- don't understand

62. There is barely any reputation accountability- reputation, look at the regulars, they have heaps of it.

63. They actually have a marketplace for website traffic, as if having something to unique to offer your visitors isn’t enough- never been into this forum so I cant comment on this

64. Sorting through the filth gives me a headache- man up

65. Members get super freaked out when DP goes offline- which is practically never

66. The guy who wrote the Reputation FAQ is banned- one word: infractions, everyone gets them now and again

67. “Who’s Online” options are severely limited- good enough for me

68. The forum’s “Get-rich-quick” logic undermines the purpose of the web and internet- noobs quickly learn that this is not the case through the experience of other members.

69. Some actually try to sell blackhat methods to newbies- no, newbies sell it to newbies and this has nothing to do with me

70. It gives off a “Creepy, Slyish” vibe- don't understand

71. Definitely not enough moderation for a board their size- moderation is fine and spam gets deleted within minutes

72. They don’t welcome new members well (usually you get a welcome PM from an admin, but not from DP)- there is an introduction section where members can be introduced if they wish

73. They are arrogant enough to have their own “DPified” Google FAQ- you are arrogant enough to make this list

74. Allowing users to switch between vBulletin styles makes the site look unprofessional- no, professional. it gives users choice

75. Many threads aren’t even posted in the right forums- very rarely a post is posted in the wrong thread and they are almost all the time told. Give the newbies a chance to learn.

76. They have no Design & Development stickies. Wouldn’t some coding resources be useful for creating a “good” website?- thats not the purpose of the site

77. They have a “Legal Issues” forum, anyone else detect the oxymoron? no

78. The site’s owner (Shawn) isn’t even active much on the forum, (I doubt he even has that much influence anymore)- not much of an influence? he owns the forum, lol

79. Popular ≠ Valuable- if it was not valuable, it would not be popular

80. Absolutely no forum for “Site News and Updates” can be found- what is there to update? it is perfect the way it is

81. There’s no specific DP copyright info for the forums (it should be at the bottom, near the vB copyright info)- and....

82. It’s server is often slow- your internet connection must be slow

83. Limited selection of “Digital Point Solutions Tools”- don't understand

84. “Forum Jump”, for the most part, is *pointless*- how, proof?

85. Everything’s about money over there (with entire forums dedicated to affiliate programs and PPC advertising, not to mention the 2,000,000+ posts in the DP marketplace)- no, not everything

86. They have two seperate sub-forums for Google Adwords- no we dont

87. Whitehat SEO is virtually nonexistent- existent dont you mean

88. Web hosting is also virtually nonexistent- what does this mean?

89. Read this post- you read this post

90. Or read this post- you read this post

91. Many members’ signature links are filled with pointless links with anchor text such as “PR4 Link Exchange” or “Hot Thai Girls”, etc.- no

92. Their Directory forum is underneath the “Search Engine” Category, do they even know what a Directory is?- what a stupid point

93. No web marketing advice for long term site stability
    - there is no such thing as long term stability, a site always needs constant updating

94. For allowing usernames like FuckingPirate and Shittywall to exist- we do not assign member names, plus one is already banned

95. They tend to be hypocritical (they don’t mind manipulating sites like Digg and Stumbleupon, but when it comes to Ethical Legal Issues, there’s nothing pertaining to internet marketing)- how?

96. Their spammy ideas and link schemes sometimes spill over into other forums- no

97. Difficult to understand the site name, and how it relates to the web- your site is called lightening shock, why arn't you writing about lightening rather than stupid posts such as this one

98. The community doesn’t collectively care about long-term website worthiness- not true

99. Did I mention it’s a spammer heaven yet?- yes you have, it was your first reason

100. A community containing that much filth isn’t worthy of all the backlinks gained from this blog post
    - your crappy blog would actually detract from the backlinks.

Hope you liked it.

GameOver, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    wow, looks like you spent a lot of time on this
    seems like a lot of work to kiss up :p

Brandon Sheley, Apr 12, 2008 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  3. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    A Real Fan would obviously write so long stories ;)

amitpatel_3001, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  4. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Snappy comeback mate :)

Cheap SEO Services, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  5. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HI GameOver

Nicely said
    If you have time, you should have one blog made with all those comments that you made
    And start to comment in his blog. Or maybe I will :D

digitalduke, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  6. GameOver

GameOver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies. It took like half an hour to write however it was not a waste of time to defend DP. I left a comment on his blog with the link to this page.

GameOver, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  7. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    101. People who spend their valuable time making worthless posts on DigitalPoint:D

lol jk.

clinton, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  8. pioneer1

pioneer1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting post, but DP is the best webmaster forum

pioneer1, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  9. 5starpix

5starpix Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reps++

You spent your time to actually write counter arguments, I like that!

I agree with you as well :)

5starpix, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  10. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I read those reasons before few months.

I like the answers :D

MeetHere, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  11. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    We all know dp is the best :D

kingofsanda, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  12. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with this. Spammers don't last very long here in DP :)

cool_78, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  13. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah.. its We already had a chat about it here.
    But you have done a very good job by writing those counter comments.

Abhik, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  14. Kngavl

Kngavl Peon

Best Answers:
    REP man, gj.

Kngavl, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  15. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let everyone make up his own mind. We don't need someone biased to tell us anything .........

P.S Someone go make a "1001 reasons why DP sucks" blogpost
    you'll get a lot of cheap traffic [this 101 guy got it too, probably]

lightless, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  16. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A true dp fan. The time spent is not wasted but take it as your contribution to defend dp :)

dairyman, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  17. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like u have lot of free time these days,nice points though.

getjimmy, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  18. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    amitpatel_3001, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  19. Pinup Girl

Pinup Girl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well i agree with some things listed but i think that DP has more pros than cons,DP is a great community,i love this place,and its a big forum,thats why has spammers and scammers,a huge forum like DP always attract this kind of people..but nothing is perfect,but as i said before,to me DP has more pros than cons

Pinup Girl, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  20. kaung

kaung Twitter @KaungKo

Best Answers:
    whoa! well done in dedication to DP :p

kaung, Apr 12, 2008 IP