1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rotating YPN and AdSense is a Bad Idea

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by tlainevool, Oct 13, 2005.

I just read this:

http://www.timflight.com/2005/10/13/rotating-ypn-and-adsense-is-a-bad-idea/

It basically says that rotating between AdSense and YPN with every page view is a bad idea because it confuses the YPN bot and cause "PSA" (That's what YPN calls the ads like vonage.com and flowers.com for some reason).

I'm not sure if I agree with this. When I rotate ads I usually get 2 or 3 on target ads and 2 or 3 off-target ads. So it seems like YPN knows what the page is about, they just show relevant ads in only half the ads.

It seems like an interesting thing to check out though.

(Found via http://www.problogger.net/archives/2005/10/14/issues-with-rotating-ypn-and-adsense/)

tlainevool, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  2. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it was coincidental for him. My theory is that those ads (Vonage, flowers.com, etc.) are rotated in regardless.

I have always had 1-3 of those in my ads per unit and I have never rotated between AS and YPN.

MattL, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  3. YahooSarah

YahooSarah Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there-
    Wanted to chime in on Tim Flight’s blog, I just posted this on another thread with Tim.

Anyway, the ads he mentioned are not PSAs but are “Run of network” ads, which we call RON ads. RON ads are more generic, category based ads (typically financial services) and publishers do get paid for RON ads. We serve RON ads when a publisher first signs up until we have had a chance to crawl or when the crawler finds sensitive content.

Sorry for the confusion, there was a miscommunication of information from our customer rep.

YahooSarah

YahooSarah, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  4. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clearing up RONs vs. PSAs. I had a YPN customer rep use "PSA" instead of "RON" the other day and it sort of confused me, but I never got around to trying to clear it up.

tlainevool, Oct 13, 2005 IP