1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimizing More Than One Domain For The Same Website

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gregdavidson, Dec 2, 2008.

Let's say I added a secondary or add-on domain to the same website and optimized that domain as well. Would this be good for my SEO? Would Google see the secondary domain as a separate website and think of it as repeat content?

gregdavidson, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  2. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are getting into duplicate content regime here. I am assuming that you will have two domain names and they will share the DB.

jitendraag, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  3. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried optimizing an add-on domain to one of your websites?

gregdavidson, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  4. yousellstuff1

yousellstuff1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you switching domains or just using two to go to your website?

If you are just having two because you want to then you should probably set one up with a 301 redirect because google might not like it. (duplicated website)

Hope this helps
    Brandon

yousellstuff1, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  5. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    Add-onn domain will not be duplicate google bot knows it. But doing separate seo for both is very difficult and All SEOs not advising it do concentrate on on domain

rena, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  6. OnlineVista

OnlineVista Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if you are talking about a sub-domain, something like Google does. main domain www[dot]google[dot]com and www[dot]maps[dot]google[dot]com (sorry cannot post the proper URL yet).

For search engines a sub-domain is different to the main domain and is therefore treated as a separate domain. They are therefore ranked differently, almost like having two separate domain URLs.

OnlineVista, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  7. kkkrisss

kkkrisss Peon

Best Answers:
    It will not be a problem if you are the registrar of both domains. Google will treat them as separate websites and you will not get punished for duplicate content. However I personally consider it useless. It is better to focus on one doamin only...you will achieve better results faster...

kkkrisss, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  8. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    This whole thing about 301 redirects. I keep on reading about it on the internet and in some of my SEO books but I never really noted what it meant. Is there a file I can upload to my website to get the 301 redirect? Do some servers already have it installed?

gregdavidson, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  9. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    No, I was referring to an add-on domain which is basically a second or third domain that you add on to the same account that directs to the same website.

gregdavidson, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    You're going to have to use the Apache Web server for this (unless you have the mod_rewrite emulator for IIS installed).

If you have Apache and mod_rewrite (or are using the emulator I referred to), then create a .htaccess file in the add-on domain's root (where the home page would go) and put this in it:

Redirect 301 / http://www.domain.tld

Code (markup):
    Of course, domain.tld will be the domain name that you're forwarding the add-on to.

Dan Schulz, Dec 5, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  11. wirefoot

wirefoot Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it really makes any sense? Why don't you optimize your different web pages and promote them. They will help you more in things.

wirefoot, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  12. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    So if I had a second domain pointing to my website, I would add the "second" domain for http://www.domain.tld?

gregdavidson, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  13. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, but the domain.tld text would be the domain name you're using, like digitalpoint.com or shadyeddysbailbonds.biz for example

Dan Schulz, Dec 6, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  14. technocrazzy

technocrazzy Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest to concentrate on one domain rather than two on same topic..

technocrazzy, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  15. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not what he's planning on doing, technocrazzy. Many hosting providers allow people to "add on" domains to their hosting accounts so they can host multiple sites under the same plan without having to get a reseller package. He's just taking advantage of it to redirect one domain to the primary one (like the .net and .org of a domain to the .com version so people get taken to the .com if they find themselves on the .net or .org for some reason).

Dan Schulz, Dec 6, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  16. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    as long as you dont use dublicate content i dont think you need to worry you can point asmany domains but if they all from the same host or they have your name in the registar then it can make google raise an eyebrow and get suspicious

phpwnes, Dec 7, 2008 IP