1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Crawling Password Protected Content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Robin F, Dec 4, 2008.

Forgive me all if this question has been asked before. I have friend that wants to optimize her website, and she has an area of the site that is password protected, so basically inaccessible to web crawlers. I'm pretty sure there's no way to get the content indexed without removing the password requirements, but I wanted to make sure first- are there any work-arounds for getting password protected content indexed?

Robin F, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  2. preyank

preyank Banned

Best Answers:
    preyank, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    None that are effective - even the method shown in the link that preyank gave you doesn't work. (That and the search engine may consider it to be a form of cloaking, or serving one set of contents to Google while showing the user another.)

It's one of those "grey" areas that I think Google will be clarifying (read: clamping down on) in the next year or two. So it's probably going to be best to avoid it altogether.

Dan Schulz, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  4. OnlineVista

OnlineVista Banned

Best Answers:
    And if something is password protected it means (atleast to me) that content is meant only for authorized users. Which in turn would imply that it should not be available to general public. If that content gets indexed then it will be out in the open, contrary to what was intended in the first place.

If it is meant to be accessible to public password protection does make sense. If we are to believe in this logic then no search engine would ever provide us with an option to get the password protected content crawled and indexed.

Trying to implemented workaround, as already stated by Dan is not advisable.

OnlineVista, Dec 5, 2008 IP