1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IMPORTANT: Less ads is not more money with AdSense

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by ttomp13, Dec 2, 2008.

I realize that many of you already know this, however, a lot of people do not.
    Less ads does not mean more money with AdSense. You simply have to know
    how AdSense works. I have to go meet my friends here in a second otherwise I
    would post the article here, but check it out.

Less ads more money adsense?

ttomp13, Dec 2, 2008 IP
    Aquarezz likes this.
  2. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice article and yes it's true what you're saying ;)

Repped you ;)

Greetz

Aquarezz, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  3. Hendricius

Hendricius Peon

Best Answers:
    That is wrong if you ask me.

Amount of Adsense units is no factor for Adsense ads. What matters is the ROI (return of investment) for the advertiser. If that is incredibly low then you will also get less money per click in return.

The next thing is your Adsense CTR. If you have an high conversion rate then the only way of earning more is to get more clicks. And no, you are not getting more clicks from less ads. Of course, you want to draw the users attention to some specific ads, but removing your main ads is definitely a no go. Try improving all of your ads (color, positioning) and you will make more, that's for sure :).

Still you have a nice blog :).

Hendricius, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  4. ttomp13

ttomp13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will agree, but disagree. Sure, ROI is a factor, but the way AdWords works is based on bids.
    The highest bidder snags the top spot on AdSense Advertisements. The lowest bidder snags the
    lowest spot. If you get a click on the top ad, you will make more than a click on the bottom one.

I've tested and proven this and so have many others.

Ask for ROI: You're correct. The better the ROI for the advertiser, the more money you will make.

Finally, positioning your ads correctly is always a great idea. Usually right below the post title with
    sponsored links in a light great above the ads works the best.

ttomp13, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  5. wmtips

wmtips Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't agree, see my earlier post with situation explained. And now, a year later, if I divide Earnings/Clicks for bottom and middle ad, I see that bottom one has higher CPC. Lower CTR, but higher CPC :cool:. Ads have same formats - they are 468x60 text ads.

wmtips, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  6. ttomp13

ttomp13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Disagree... If I could show you my stats then I would to prove it.
    I've been blogging for 11 months now and my results have been consistently the same.

I could be wrong... but don't believe that I am. However, if some AdSense Experts
    could come on here that'd be great.

ttomp13, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  7. wmtips

wmtips Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are wrong. Before writing prev post I have (no, really) opened my stats and devided: Earnings/Clicks. I trust my eyes and my calculator better than your 11 months experience. So this question is not so simple as you think...

wmtips, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  8. config_error

config_error Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it also depends on what adwords publisher bid for that specific ads you serv in your adsense. so meaning if you are serv a high paying ads from specifice publisher which is the google adsense bot automatical assign you your page then you might earn big from it..

config_error, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  9. yawez.com

yawez.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Why thank you very much for your lovely article!

yawez.com, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  10. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I've taken out block banner ads on my blogs. Let's see if this boosts Adsense earnings.

webmasterlabor.com, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  11. ttomp13

ttomp13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No need to get defensive and totally trash me.
    But this is what I have noticed with my ads and AdSense statistics.

Not to mention, I have also fiddled with AdWords.

Now maybe I am mistaken and maybe you're correct.

But until then, I am going to make sure my highest CTR ad displays above all
    others.

ttomp13, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  12. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that less ads make more money. This is because when you have limited adspots only the highest paying ads are visible. Hence even though there might be a slight decrease in the number of clicks, the revenue per click tends to be much higher.

peepin2me, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  13. johnnie

johnnie Peon

Best Answers:
    The huge oversight on your behalf, is the fact that you can not control which ads appear first in your HTML. It is always the highest paying ones that display in the unit first included in your HTML. Example:

[BAD AD]
    [content] [GOOD AD]

You can shuffle as much as you want, you won' be able to solve this one with HTML alone, assuming you want the good ad on top and the bad ad on the right. It takes CSS to fix this.

I suppose you mean that you want your best-performing ad to be positioned in the best-performing spot (on top)?

johnnie, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  14. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't reconcile this theory. On my site, the ads are clearly driven from different keywords. And, I know for a fact one of those keywords has a much higher CPC than the others. It's not the first one displayed.

Maybe what you are saying is true if all the ads in the page relate to the same keyword ?

bille, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  15. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    More ads may bring you more clicks,but it will irritate the readers (especially for contextual sites) and you'll lose lots of valuable readers.

tendulkar2, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  16. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    is no secret. google already recommends using the maximum amount of ad blocks for maximise revenue.
    I received that in one of my adsense messages today.

Solid_Nuts, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  17. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you have more ads unit, then the units at the bottom will be paying low cost per click, this part is clear i guess!

so why have more units? why do you want some clicks to go by the low paying ads!! the unit at the top will surely be high paying and will have the highest CTR in most cases. I will surely want the advertisers to pay high to get into my only ads block on the top! :)

If you have multiple ads units, then the low paying MFA ads will enter your website which will not only pay you less money but also will give your visitor a bad impression when your visitor will land on a low paying MFA website.

Visitors on a website scroll up and down, if you have low paying ads at the bottom they may click and leave your site, else they will scroll up and click on a high paying ads :)

uttoransen, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  18. guruguy

guruguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you really think that Google would say the other way around even if it was true? It may maximise earnings, however it will also drive away visitors.

In my experience (proxies) less ads = more earnings. This may be different for other people, so I would suggest you experiment for yourself to find the best outcome.

guruguy, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  19. cpruitt

cpruitt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most common recommendations are generalities and you should test and track different options with your particular site. I have sites where less ads equal more money, and sites where I get the most money by filling up the site with ads. It depends on too many other factors than just ad placement. On some subjects, the readers love to see ads as much as content. On others, any ad at all is an irritation.

cpruitt, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  20. Hendricius

Hendricius Peon

Best Answers:
    Less Ads means lower CTR and lower CTR means less money :)

Hendricius, Jan 16, 2009 IP