1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Are The Somali Pirates So Successful?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ruunyo, Dec 1, 2008.

Piracy off the coast of Somalia is getting serious. Even the supply of video games for the Christmas season may be in danger. Should this happen, more attention may well be paid to the problem.

On 15 November 2008, Somali pirates captured their biggest prize thus far, a very large Saudi owned oil tanker.

The attack on the Sirius Star, three times the size of a US aircraft carrier and capable of carrying 2m barrels of crude oil, is the most audacious in recent times. It took place 450 nautical miles south-east of Mombasa, Kenya more than twice as far out to sea as other recent attacks on shipping.
    The tanker is apparently now near the Somali "town of Eyl, which has become a haven for pirates." A representative of the U.K. Seafarers' Union commented,

"This has come as a massive shock. It's the biggest ship that's ever been taken, and it's a long way away from the area which up until now has been regarded as the dangerous region, where the previous attacks have been," he said. "Tankers of this size are usually safe from attacks. It's a worrying escalation."

In September, Somali pirates attacked a U.S. Navy supply ship. Warning shots were fired, and the pirates ran away (OK, sped away in their speed boats). Somali pirates recently took command of a Ukrainian cargo vessel bringing military equipment to Kenya. It was "crammed with $30 million worth of grenade launchers, piles of ammunition, even battle tanks." They were able to capture the ship two hundred miles off shore by "surrounding" it with three speedboats.

Meanwhile the U.S. Fifth Fleet is "evaluating" the situation, as acts of piracy escalate — despite the concerted efforts of several countries, including the United States and Russia. According to a Navy Lieutenant, spokesperson for the U.S. Fifth Fleet, the Navy is very concerned about this sort of thing. Nevertheless, the rules of engagement must, of course, be determined through international consensus before much more can be done.

Surely, the combined Naval forces of the U.S., Russia and a host of other countries could bring this mess to a screeching halt if they really desired to do so, if the consequences of doing so were acceptable, and if the necessary resources were available. However, such seems not to be the case.

Who, besides the Somali pirates, is serious about this? Why were mere warning shots fired by the U.S. Navy in defense of its supply ship? Have too much time and effort been devoted to "evaluating the situation," and too little to making the piracy stop? The pirates have a lucrative business going and are unlikely to cease and desist as a gesture of good will. Their business is certainly more profitable than that of the Big Three auto makers.

ruunyo, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  2. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Saudi owned oil tanker is not actually a big prize since monetizing the cargo is very difficult compared to electronics, textiles and other such products which can be sold easily.

They are successful because Somalia is situated strategically on a very popular international trade route and the law and order situation in the country is very bad.

peepin2me, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  3. drjupitor

drjupitor Banned

Best Answers:
    The are successful because Somalian Govt seems to be just doing spectators role. Because it is giving them much needed $$$$

drjupitor, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  4. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    The Somali Pirates So "Successful", bcoz they do nothing but robbery .
    It will be their last "robbery business" .

justinlorder, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  5. awcguy

awcguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    America is to busy electing a president.. We don't have time to play with Pirates.

awcguy, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  6. sportscrazer

sportscrazer Banned

Best Answers:
    They r succesful because government of somalia is not taking any steps, imfect government has no control on pirates, and also location of somalia is helping pirates to get success so easily...

sportscrazer, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  7. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Somalia does not have a government

peepin2me, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  8. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are not as successful against the US or the European powers, who have good navies.

primeryder, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  9. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I heard Somalian pirates are very fearful , not successful though :D
    This is happening because the authorities are weak ...

EvcRo, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  10. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Somalians are successful because they are not fearful.....

They are anyway starving to death in their country and hence they do not fear death in the sea....

They even do not mind getting caught since that would at least give them food in foreign jail.... !!! :eek:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  11. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Our Government India has a INS Class destroyer over there .. I think it wa recently in news for destroying a couple of speed boats of pirates..

Freewebspace, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Pretty easy really -

Bunch of Somalians jump on a ship with machine guns. Ship is full of flammable liquid and expensive too!
    Group of middle aged sailors/workmen are hardly going to put up a fight are they?

Pirates 1 - 0 Seamen

Then the navy comes along and shows them who is boss...

mikey1090, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  13. Kim-Webgirl

Kim-Webgirl Peon

Best Answers:
    They are good at what they do because nothing has been done to stop what they are doing and they keep on getting away with it.

Kim-Webgirl, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  14. cheapez

cheapez Active Member

Best Answers:
    it turned out to be Thai fishers boats, lol

cheapez, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  15. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    with o other hope of creating or getting money and with little care if they live or dye they are ruthless. They dont care about anything since they have noting so they will esily sacrifice there life in order to steal. Thats why they are succesful. What needs to happen is load a ship full of sildiers and let they board the ship like they are taking it over then blast the crap out of them and video tape it

then they will stop for awhile. and give ships more guns with permission to kill on site.

ErikJ, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  16. CopyScaper

CopyScaper Peon

Best Answers:
    They are really good because they grew up in an environment like that. They are really used to those kinds of job and they are the master of it..:)

CopyScaper, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  17. svr_2008

svr_2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard they're really friendly, usually hiring a chef for their hostage etc.

Kinda weird if you ask me :).

svr_2008, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  18. ruunyo

ruunyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I am with you in this point , they are really friendly and problem start with fisherman , these boats and ships destroy their fishing tools

and if you see 70% of these ships Chemical Tankers and Alnnoip waste and dangerous in the somalia ocean

so i am with them 100% , if the international community can't protect them they have to protect them selves

" that is my own opinion with all respect to other opinions "

ruunyo, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  19. goldfish

goldfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thai fishermen carrying machine gun while they are fishing???

goldfish, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  20. sudarshanwagh

sudarshanwagh Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are successful because there is a laps in the protation of ships & sea route. Ship companies & national governments must find out whether any other nation is not helping them?

sudarshanwagh, Dec 4, 2008 IP