1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How important are search engines other than the popular ones?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pher, Jun 12, 2006.

I personally only use Google for searching. But I'm at least aware of some of others (Yahoo, MSN, etc). Now, I'm at a stage where I'm looking to promote my site and questioning the importance of all these unknown search engines. I can spend $$ and get listed in the top ten of at least 100 search engines, but what difference does it make if I'm listed #1 if nobody ever uses these sites.

Can someone explain to me why?

Thanks in advance,

pher, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  2. Djohn

Djohn Peon

Best Answers:
    In general, one should always aim to appear in all 3 of the major search engines (Google, MSN, Yahoo), as they all have a lot of visitors. Remember, MSN.com is the default startpage in the Internet Explorer, and remains just that for a lot of people.

All the major search engines provide a variety of services (Google video/maps/groups etc., MSN messenger, Yahoo News), and have quite a large audience because of this.

Also, Googles is estimated to be the leader by a substantial margin (depending on language/country), but even 1% of all searches performed accounts for a lot (seriously, A LOT) of people.

So, don't simply rely on Google. At the very least, aim to appear in all 3 major SE's and perhaps some niche search engines.

Djohn, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  3. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response.

I do agree with the top 3 (Yahoo, Google, MSN), and your reasons make more sense now.

pher, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  4. 26global

26global Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah don't worry about anything other then the top 3. The others will spider and index your site if you are listed in the top 3.

26global, Jun 12, 2006 IP