1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Experimenting with voice recognition software

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by vip-ip, Nov 27, 2008.

I am experimenting with voice recognition software. I recently purchased Dragon NaturallySpeaking software to see if I can improve my article writing. As a matter of fact I'm writing this post with my voice right now.

Have you experimented with voice recognition software before? What kind of experiences have you had? Is there a good way to train your software or does that not help you at all? Share your thoughts.

vip-ip, Nov 27, 2008 IP
    ncz_nate likes this.
  2. Online Writer

Online Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm very interested in that particular program. My only problem is that I have 4 kids and a wife running around my home so my articles would be peppered with "what are you doing?", "He hit me!!", and "Waaaaaaahhh" way too much for my liking haha.

Is there a demo for that?

Online Writer, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  3. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am doing a lot of software training right now hopefully it will get by software right.

Sounds like your speech will most likely be recorded down as a bunch of noise for wrong words. At least that's how my software is behaving right now. LOL

vip-ip, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  4. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    (this is me typing now) Wow, i had to correct about 34 words out of that paragraph! And I still see some missed words: "by>>my" and I didn't mean to capitalize the LOL, it just did that.

vip-ip, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  5. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista also has voice-recognition software. Tried it a few times, but I felt stupid talking at the laptop. LOL

cd928, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  6. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it does make you feel weird. Especially when you think you're speaking clearly, but your software still doesn't understand you and types something else. This Dragon NaturallySpeaking thing is supposed to be one of the best speech recognition programs out there, so... we'll see :)

vip-ip, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  7. chaunna

chaunna Peon

Best Answers:
    my question is.. how slow to you have to talk in order for it to recognize each word and wouldn't it just be fast to type it?

instead of having it type half your words wrong?

chaunna, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  8. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've played around with Vista's voice recognition software. It's pretty good. I don't have an external microphone, so when I use it I'm speaking to the computer like it's a 5-year-old. Kind of awkward. You can train the software and it supposedly learns the more you use it. Right now, it isn't all that beneficial since I can type faster, but I plan to get a microphone and work on it some more.

latoya, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  9. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    UPDATE: Bought a $15 mic from Target. It's a professional Samson mic (yes, I know, how can a $15 microphone be "pro," but compared to what I had it's a lot better). It's for karaoke but it works fine with my PC without a power supply.

[​IMG]

Dragon NaturallySpeaking now gives my mic a passing score of 16, with 15 being minimally accepted level of sound quality. So I'm up 1 point from what I had before. We'll see how much of a difference it is.

vip-ip, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  10. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a big mic. I'm thinking of something slender and small, with it's own stand. Maybe something like this.

latoya, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  11. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the same reason I've given it up completely - I can type faster. :)

cd928, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  12. mintyfresh94

mintyfresh94 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have used dragon naturally speaking for awhile but for some reason it woundnt listen to me! Yah well I got pissed and nearly broke my moniter.lol

mintyfresh94, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  13. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    It does require patience. I'm slowly learning.

vip-ip, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  14. ballin3lyfe

ballin3lyfe Peon

Best Answers:
    dragon isnt a very good software, there's a lot of better voice recog. soft out there that won't mix multiple words together.

ballin3lyfe, Dec 7, 2008 IP
  15. Sims2

Sims2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried 'voice recognition' in the past for school assignments on my Windows Vista computer, however, it didn't really work at all. Provided me with more laughs than anything else, perhaps down to my poor diction. :eek:

Sims2, Dec 7, 2008 IP
  16. multimastery

multimastery Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm testing that Voice recognition installed on Vista for about a month now. You really have to be patient and train your computer. And then it may still make errors! but I have noticed that the more i work with it the better it gets. I'll just keep playing around with it because I see if I can get it to work smooth enough it would be faster than my mildly slow typing LOL

multimastery, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  17. videos

videos Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried that software a few years back and it was constantly typing out the wrong thing so I threw it away but maybe they have improved it in recent years.

videos, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  18. gbartlet

gbartlet Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for over a year now. I use it for my doctoral papers, as well. I did a words per minute test on the Internet, which calculates errors and it said that I type at something like 120 words per minute! It's the only way to go!

gbartlet, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  19. vip-ip

vip-ip Active Member

Best Answers:
    My experimentational saga with voice recognition ended with me returning my mic to Target for a refund. The software made too many errors, which made going back and re-editing the mistakes almost redundant because of the time consumption. It's great to hear stories like gbartlet's experience with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but for me it didn't work out.

vip-ip, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  20. gbartlet

gbartlet Peon

Best Answers:
    A key is to make sure you're using a noise-canceling microphone. Even if there is no noise in the background, you need one of these types of mics. The headset style is best, as well. If only you could watch me "write" this post, you would be amazed at how fast this can be done! (It was about 10 secs or so far!)

The speed at which you speak does not matter, either. It only matters how clearly you can speak. For me, I don't need to go overboard about clarity.

gbartlet, Dec 29, 2008 IP