1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ADWORDS = worse SEO?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by bjewelled, Nov 26, 2008.

Prompted by the occasional query that appears on the forum wondering if advertizing can improve your SEO, e.g. better organic results, I would be interested to hear poster's opinions on the opposite proposition, to wit;

Does advertising with Google Adwords harm your natural SERPs ranking on Google?

I actually have no opinion either way myself but I do find it curious that I generally have much better rankings on MSN, Yahoo, et al. than Google and, also, that they have improved year on year whereas my Google results, despite increasing PageRank, have stayed more or less the same and even, in some cases, gone backwards.

PS. I should add that I do not advertize on any other search network.

bjewelled, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. xxdomainxx

xxdomainxx Banned

Best Answers:
    Why should Google Adwords harm your SEO ???

Google Adwords will give more exposure to your website which may result in better links and can result in better SEO

xxdomainxx, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you miss my point; I am suggesting that if you advertize with Adwords then Google will rank you lower in the natural listings.

I do not advertize with MSN or Yahoo and my natural rankings in their engines continue to improve year on year.
    I do advertize with Google and my natural rankings on Google are static or worsen year on year.

bjewelled, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. Skouk

Skouk Guest

Best Answers:
    There is absolutly no links between adwords and SEO.

With my websites, I have few examples (Site advertised that not rank and Site advertised that ranks very well on Google)

Skouk, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  5. monet

monet Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed the same thing for my site. Spend thousands on adwords each month, slowly built quality backlinks, and rank way down for all major keywords. The top ten in the organic search do little or no advertising, but maybe they don't have to.

monet, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  6. tobilove23

tobilove23 Peon

Best Answers:
    i never actually heard of adwords doing that tho

tobilove23, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  7. BBS

BBS Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed exactly the same phenomenon as 'Monet'. I only use Adwords and my natural ranking for my primary keywords has gone into fairly steep decline (slipped down to page 4 on Google) where I am now getting #1 on position MSN and #3 position on Yahoo for around 5 kewyords.

Very strange don't you think???

It's worth mentioning I have been #5 on Google at one time.

BBS, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  8. RichardG87

RichardG87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I’m not saying affiliate marketing is dead in Google, but if you are just starting out, you’d better know exactly how to comply with Google’s quality score criteria if you want to have a reasonable bid price on keywords.

RichardG87, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  9. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    To quote Google directly...

The AdWords programme, including the selection of an AdWords ad or AdWords ads content, is unrelated to the ranking of sites on our natural search results. To protect the integrity of our site, we clearly distinguish between search results and advertising. While we understand your concern regarding our recent revision of trademark policy, we may not influence the ranking of any site listed within Google Search results.

Google's order of results is automatically determined by several factors, including our PageRank algorithm. Please take a look at out our 'Why Use Google' page for more detail. The best way to ensure a results listing on Google is for many other sites to link to you.

CustardMite, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  10. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    @RichardG87
    Did you post on the wrong thread? Not sure what relevance your comments have.

@CustardMite

Well, I am quite sure Google adhere, one hundred percent, to the "Do no evil" commandment.;) Sometimes, though, the evidence and the huge conflict of interest that Google faces on this issue can put "evil" thoughts in one's head.

??? Surely, they are always influencing the rankings by assigning PageRank, constantly changing the algorithm, blacklisting/banning sites, etc.?

bjewelled, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  11. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If only the question was not asked and answered 10,000 times before,,,,:rolleyes:

Please find something new to post!

Sem-Advance, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  12. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, sorry if I bore you but you do not have to read or reply to the thread!

Actually, a search of all the forums indicates only a few threads on this subject - less than 3000 in total that have any reference to Adwords + SEO, and very few (in the first 10 pages of results) that would appear to refer to this particular question.

Having said that, if a definitive answer exists please point me to it, thanks.

13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try a google search !!!!!!

google sandbox adwords

I would not have wrote what I did if there was not 1,000s of threads covering this.

Adwords bot is a separate bot from googlebot and the two perform completely different algorithms.

Adwords bot does not index your pages so it would be impossible for Adwords to effect Organic SER.

In closing I have many sites at # 1 on Google for competitive keywords and run Adwords as well for those sites, and it has no effect on the organic SERP what so ever.

:)

Sem-Advance, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  14. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    So, it was 10,000 and now it is just 1,000s but still, I'm damned if I can find them. Searching the forums for reference to adwords and rankings, adwords and SEO, adwords and SERPS only return a few thousand results and looking through them at random would suggest only 1 or 2% have dealt with this topic indicating it is closer to hundreds at most.

So, we should only post if we cannot find an answer on Google first? May as well close these forums, then!

But seriously, all joking and argument aside, I was only trying to provoke a simple discussion. I was not hoping for, or expecting, a definitive answer. I was simply curious to hear the views of the people on this forum. So, my apologies once again if the topic bores you but I suggest that is in the nature of forums, there are always certain topics that arise time and time again, perhaps, even, ad nauseam. Personally, the assumption of some posters, present company excepted I am sure, that the world revolves around affiliate marketing is a turn-off to me.

That is not what I am suggesting. But it would be very easy for Google to introduce a factor, positive or negative, into the natural SERPs algorithm based on whether or not the website is advertised in Adwords. Who would know?

BTW. I did find one excellent answer from Magda, perhaps as definitive as it is possible to get, so your intervention in this thread was by no means wasted.

15. Dermy

Dermy Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually thought that when I used adwords the keyword SEO I had done was harmed also.
    But then I did some more careful monitoring. By that I mean check every 8 hours or so and recording the results over a few weeks..

the result ... no the use of Adwords did not affect my SEO.

The keyword/ phrase I was using for those interested was "Stop Motion Software"

Dermy, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  16. dafenart

dafenart Peon

Best Answers:
    It is good to know them.

dafenart, Nov 29, 2008 IP
  17. UncleBun

UncleBun Banned

Best Answers:
    i don't see the link of adword and seo.

UncleBun, Nov 29, 2008 IP
  18. MazdaSEO

MazdaSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    In some ways I think there is a correlation between adwords and SEO but in a positive way with Google.

MazdaSEO, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  19. Jihoy

Jihoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it might actually be positive, having adword campaign. I thought each click on adword ad might actually increase the relevancy score of your site and push it up the rankings. I remember I was trying to get my main keyword up out of 41 million sites, I was on page 5 with adword running. Then I stopped adword and my site fell to page 9, then disappeared completely off top 1000 results all within a week, I seriously thought it was google taking revenge on me. I put back adword campaign and saw my result back to page 9.

Maybe that's just the google dance or that my site is fairly new. Maybe there is no correlation at all.

Jihoy, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  20. MoolahRama

MoolahRama Peon

Best Answers:

Absolutely not. Adwords has nothing to do with SEO or your results for natural rankings, unless you have 10000 ppc landing pages all with the same text, and are cached by Google.

You will not gain any benefit in SEO from AdWords. Ranking well in MSN and Yahoo also is not related to bad rankings in Google. The algorithms are different.

MoolahRama, Dec 3, 2008 IP