1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More rights for the content writers!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ms2134, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Well, after reading the thread.

I have decided to open this thread, for all of the views of the content writers to come together.

Choose a guideline price as a minimum of how much people should offer, or except for an article, blog or piece of content to be written.

I shall start the thread @ saying that .

$0.04 per word would be good, and a nice starting point.

What are your views on this? and your bid?

~ Mike

ms2134, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. Emotional

Emotional Peon

Best Answers:
    I charge $0.01/per word, I seen some other people whom charge $0.005/per word, which is far too low and others who charge $0.02-$0.10 per word.

Emotional, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and we will open a thread for content buyer :p

1$ for 500 words

commandos, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say $0.03-$0.05 per word would be fair and humanizing. That being said, though, I agree that a writer's writing output is worth its quality. You get what your skills are worth for.

The problem is when buyers pay you dirt cheap even when your output is worth more than that.

Buhawi, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  5. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    It always depends on the project for me. Outside DP, I get at least .05 per word. I use DP as a way to get new clients and I generally give them a really cheap rate (about .02 per word) for the first couple of articles. After that, once they see that I am dependable and good, I go for .03-.05 depending on how interesting the project is...and how nice the buyer is to work with.

Honestly, I really love the business development aspect. If I know that I am helping someone who cares about their business, I might charge them very little just because I enjoy the process of helping someone market something they love.

Then, sometimes, I get PMS and I hate everybody and am very cynical about all projects and businesses. Those days, I write very negative articles, lamenting all the ills of society- whether they relate to the article content or not. And, on those days, I charge .10 per word for strung out pieces of crap.

I'm kidding, of course.....or am I? Only my buyers will ever know :)

Y.L. Prinzel

www.yolanderprinzel.com

Y.L. Prinzel, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  6. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    ms2134, I am on your side. I have always been providing my content for at least $0.02 per word in DP.
    $0.03 per word would be a good start.

And I'd say we should get at least 50% deposit before starting any projects.

SEOTherapy, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  7. cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not know if you will find it around here. We can't just say you can only write for this. If you can't get the money you want here then you might have to go somewhere else.
    I have tried to sell articles at a measly 1 cent a word and it's very hard.

cowsgonemadd3, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  8. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A very good idea, but there will always be a couple of persons who won't comply with the rules.

It is a free market, and we can't form unions here.

If such a move is indeed enforced, we will probably see more buyers moving to the other writing market places.

gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 26, 2008 IP
    Ordinaryme likes this.
  9. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    1. This thread belongs in the copywriter's forum, not a b/s/t forum.
    2. If you want to charge $0.04 per word or higher, learn the difference between "accept" and "except."

Power_Writer, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  10. RAW-Hudai

RAW-Hudai Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the problem lies with the number of people coming from countries like India and Philippines who are working at dirt cheap prices. I am from India too, and believe me, when I said writers from India, I did not mean to be derogatory but I do value my writing and English skills at more than 1c per word, but nobody is willing to give more because of the availability of writers who write at less than half a cent per word.

RAW-Hudai, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  11. cochise

cochise Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the key to getting higher rates for your work is establishing good long-term relationships with customers, producing quality work consistently, and presenting yourself in a professional manner throughout the process. The majority of buyers on this site are looking for cheap prices and high quantities, not quality or perfect English. Unionizing the writers, which wouldn't work in the first place, wouldn't force them to offer higher wages because they can find other sources for labor.

I agree it does suck that foreign writers have driven down the rate per word on this site. But you can't tell the customer what they want. And I don't see how anyone can expect to be paid more while presenting themselves unprofessionally. Not capitalizing letters when appropriate, using symbols instead of words, not double-checking posts before submitting for spelling and simple grammar mistakes are all common in replies to job postings here. If you can't write well when applying for a job in a forum thread, why would anyone expect you to do so when/if they hire you? You would be lucky to get the job, much less at a premium rate.

I don't believe every writer at this forum deserves a higher rate than what they are getting right now. And even if they did, it would be impossible to enforce any sort of minimum wage as almost all transactions are done in private and users come and go as they please anonymously.

One change I would suggest is having two different forums under Content Creation to separate cheap content offers and buyers from those looking to produce or buy quality work written by native-English speakers. I don't really like wading through the buyers looking for content for under one cent a word.

cochise, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  12. ms2134

ms2134 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I was witting the above post; it was very late at night. Almost midnight and I do my content writing during the day.

It is nice to see so many people who are here, trying to fight for the rights.
    As for content buyers, why should you have a minimum that you like.

We are the ones who do the work, and do it hard trying to earn, just a little bit so that we can do something.

Petty amounts of money here and there really.

I still stick with my vote; $0.03 - $0.05 per word.

Other thoughts, feelings and ideas?

Best Wishes,
    ~ Mike

ms2134, Nov 26, 2008 IP
    Ordinaryme likes this.
  13. adonthenet

adonthenet Active Member

Best Answers:
    0.03-0.05 is usually my rates.
    high quality is guaranteed ! :)
    PM me if you are looking for high quality content writing job done.

adonthenet, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  14. sineater213

sineater213 Banned

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter how much you charge because like the expression says "you get what you pay for" and it is true I myself have seen people do $1 per 300 words which is basically nothing, but they obviously write like crap and the quality is horrible.

sineater213, Nov 27, 2008 IP
    Ordinaryme likes this.
  15. Ordinaryme

Ordinaryme Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, even after this thread, if 90% decide to charge 2-3 cents per word, there would ne newbies who would also like write, but because of no reputation or itraders, they will have to compromise with the rates, and that's how it has evolved IMO.

You simply can't help it. It's up to the buyers what they need. After all, you are the people who go looking for work, and it may be vice-versa but the extent is quite less in the latter. I hope the buyers agree to this :)

Ordinaryme, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  16. Falling Down

Falling Down Banned

Best Answers:
    As I've said in the other thread, I like my $0.075 pricing, it's what you make for 60 words on some paid to blog places anyway. So I actually think that should be the standard, it's not too low and it's not too high, it's a normal cost that many advertisers pay. Why can't we treat it like people selling posts on their blogs? Instead of PR, it's quality, the better the quality (the higher PR), the more expensive it gets.

Falling Down, Nov 27, 2008 IP
    Ordinaryme likes this.
  17. SteveHarris

SteveHarris Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all... no one should depend on DP to make a living. Secondly, there is tons of forums out there and I know that if DP would suddenly demand everyone to charge 4 cents a word per simple article (though it would be reasonable for a good, quality, and understandable article), a lot of people (including me) would start getting work done through different forums.

As someone else already stated, the only way for you to stand out and be able to charge more, is by building your clientele. And the only way to do that is by providing prompt and unbeatable service. I know this because I very often pay a lot more for the sake of getting things done NOW. And, depending on my writing needs, I often times also pay more to get better quality writing done.
    I have a friend who - within 2 months - established a mailing list of a couple hundred customers who she sends a promotion to whenever she is out of work and she makes well over 3K a month. Yes she charges more than the average DP writer does, but her reputation allows her to do that. She started in forums, but did not stay in forums!

So... to make my long story very short: You wanna earn a living writing? Stop chasing these DP jobs, establish yourself as a reliable author and start building your writing business. There are pennies in a sale, but fortunes in the followup!

SteveHarris, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  18. carfinance

carfinance Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a free market, and we can't form unions here

carfinance, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  19. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This issue has been beaten to death here already, and this thread has mostly been a case of people mentioning / advertising their own rates. Do that in the content creation forum in sales threads. Thread closed.

jhmattern, Nov 27, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.