1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Or Website: Which Is The Better Way To Go?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Shadowplay, Nov 26, 2008.

I'm sure that it matters upon the industry or what project you want to start, but are there any general rules out there about when to use a website and when to use a blog?

For instance, if you were doing a site marketing a weight loss product, do you make a blog with a bunch of article posts or a web site with a bunch of articles on different pages?

Taking this as an example, how would you know which one to use for your next project? And is there any reason why maybe you should take the time to create both a blog and a website for what you're marketing?

Shadowplay, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. Mitch900

Mitch900 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't answer your question as far as ranking, except the silly rumor that google gives blogs love.

I do know that the big downside Blog software is that you always need to be ahead of hackers by keeping backups, keeping your settings secure and keeping your software up to date. Real PITA if this isn't your main occupation.

Personally, whenever I can I make my own content management system with PHP/mySQL instead of relying on public domain software that hackers are free to take apart to find holes in.

Mitch900, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. Mattstyle

Mattstyle Member

Best Answers:
    I will tell you that blogs make getting content easy via rss feeds and there are plugins that can make your content appear unique.

Mattstyle, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer working with blogs, seo is easy with a wordpress blog for example, extremely fast indexing of posts.

pipes, Nov 26, 2008 IP
    seo_cel likes this.
  5. web_pallavi

web_pallavi Banned

Best Answers:
    I will go with blogs. Blogs have lots of feature like Plugins, Uniqueness, Looks Good, Fast Indexing, Gets Good PR Soon Etc..

web_pallavi, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  6. MarieO79

MarieO79 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should have both. I would create a site to display all of the products and company info/contact. Then create a blog and link to it from your site. Your blog can have articles that relate to your products and you can get feedback from your customers as well.

MarieO79, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  7. richie_rich$$$

richie_rich$$$ Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I use both, but I have to admit, I like blogs more cause they're more friendly to the search engines, For example in 2 days I got a blog to the second page on google from 300.000 results :D

richie_rich$$$, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  8. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    This is pretty much a bloggers forum. I still prefer ecommerce over blogging even though I do both. There is more financial investment required, but I think once it is going is very profitable.

PHPGator, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  9. jony1234

jony1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally, google prefer blogs. The question is what is your new project? If you are planning to use it for commercial purpose probably it will be better for you to build a website. :)

jony1234, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  10. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Peon

Best Answers:

Yeah, I'm basically interested in doing Affliliate Marketing. So with that in mind, what should I make first to market my product?

Shadowplay, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  11. knslms

knslms Peon

Best Answers:
    A blog would be much easier and less time consuming. If you have never created a site I would suggest starting with a blog.

knslms, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  12. gadiez

gadiez Active Member

Best Answers:
    I vote blog especially blogspot :D

gadiez, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  13. sachamps

sachamps Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have time to spare go with a website ... if your time is limited a blog would be a better option - its relatively quick and easy to set up and quick to update.

sachamps, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  14. davejug1

davejug1 Banned

Best Answers:
    I would def say website, there is a program started in the last few days with 1000 members each churning out about 5 blogs a week on autopilot. Almost 25000 new blogs a month, each one highly optimised, now is a good time to develop a website, at least until they realise there are too many members and close the thing.

Also with Google making major changes to it's PR algorythms who know just how much of a trusted source blogs are now going to be. Blogs have made their money by good PR, Google changes the rules and we have to change our approach to counter it

davejug1, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  15. stoneworth

stoneworth Peon

Best Answers:
    Blog is better than site if you need, page rank and traffics. site is better if you need keyword ranking and traffics.

stoneworth, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  16. eric97

eric97 Member

Best Answers:
    I have done both blogs and websites and I found blogs to be much easier to maintain. You can use a Wordpress blog on your own domain. If you don't have a domain you can get a quick blogger blog started with Google.

eric97, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  17. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    I would prefer setting up my sites using wordpress cms but that is just my personal preference. I believe that blogs are better because it is easier to update. search engine loves a website that is regularly updated, so... why not use something that simplify the updating process right?

SEOTherapy, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  18. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Peon

Best Answers:
    So lemme get this straight...a web site is better if you're trying to rank for keywords? Is this because each page you create is optimized for 1 keyword inparticular?

* (BTW, I am a front-end web developer so I am able to work with either one very easily.)

Shadowplay, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  19. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally prefer a blog, it's just much easier to edit and maintain.

Aquarezz, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  20. logosi

logosi Guest

Best Answers:
    With the right plugins "All In One SEO Pack", I'm all for blogs. I'm not skilled enough like Mitch900 to create my own CM system, but great if you can. As to whether or not there is G love, I've heard it is true, and can say getting ranked is easier. I'm guessing this is based (at least partially) on the internal pinging system in WP. That and making the job of creating RSS feeds (automatic in WP) so easy, then submitting those feeds to the RSS aggregators for links.

I hand made sites with Dreamweaver for years, right now I changing most of my niche sites to blogs, a bit time consuming, but once done I can auto update the content, and/or easily change a theme if I want variety.

logosi, Dec 2, 2008 IP