1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does SEO help PR

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dwoman2000, Nov 26, 2008.

I am new and I am wondering if good SEO increases your PR?

dwoman2000, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. macca81625

macca81625 Peon

Best Answers:
    good on site seo doesnt can increase pr if you have a huge number of outgoing links on page etc...

the link building you do as part of seo is the only way to increase page rank, high quality links from high pr pages, will increase your page rank!

macca81625, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. coloriteman

coloriteman Peon

Best Answers:
    You need quality backlinks from related websites for high PageRank . Link building is a part of SEO . So, answer to your question is yes..

coloriteman, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure will increase. But do hard work regularly at least 3 months for new site then only will get some PR

rena, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it won't. The only thing that will increase your PageRank is incoming links. (Bear in mind I consider link development to be a search engine marketing activity, which differs from the technical nature of optimization.)

Dan Schulz, Nov 26, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  6. mauik

mauik Peon

Best Answers:
    As someone who is just getting into the larger realm of SEO beyond link building as I've been doing for quite some time, I'm curious if you would care to elaborate on that remark a little more. Specifically, what do you consider to be the difference between marketing and optimization... I thought they were synonymous?

mauik, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  7. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    The short answer i would say is, Yes, but only indirectly.

Since link building is so much of a part of SEO, and PR is based a lot on your backlinks as well, your PR will be affected by doing SEO work. Now, if your SEO skills only consists of on-site changes (meta tags, use of <h1> and <h2>, and good XHTML) then no. But really, you aren't doing much SEO if you aren't link building too, so if you are really doing SEO, you should see some changes.

PHPGator, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Gladly. Search engine optimization is a part of search marketing. However, neither is to be confused with social media optimization and marketing (which is another industry entirely).

To make a long story short, SEO is the technical process where you optimize your site's content, structure, and code for particular keywords you want to target by determining which keywords bring the most traffic and you can rank well for with the least effort (the more competitive keywords wouldn't even kick in until later, and it's always best to get the good rankings where they come as long as they provide qualfiied traffic that converts well).

Before you start with that though, you have to define the purpose of the Web site, identify the ideal and actual audiences your Web site hopes to target, and scope out your prospective competition. Once you know that, then you can move on to the next step.

And that next step is organizing the content that will appear on your Web site. Many SEOs will try to call this "siloing" but I have a better term for it - information architecture. When you've identified what sections and pages the site will have, and what topics they'll cover, products or services they'll sell and so forth, you'll be ready for the real hard work (and this is probably the most difficult step in the optimization process).

Okay, it's actually two steps. The first is keyword research; the second is a competitive keywords analysis.

The best thing I can recommend you do is build as large a list of prospective primary, secondary and tertiary (long tail) keywords as possible. Don't worry at this stage if they're worth targeting or not. All you're doing at this point is building a list. When you have that list, organize them by section and page. You're obviously not going to use all of them; all you're doing is breaking the "master seed list" into managable chunks that you can work on piecemeal.

Here comes the hard part. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and if you're serious about real SEO) will be to determine how competitive those keywords are, and whether or not they're even worth pursuing in the first place. One or two primary search terms, two to three secondary search terms and the best long-tail keywords you can rank for quickly (the ones that are easiest to rank for while also bringing in the most traffic) is what I would consider a good cut-off point. If you're wondering what a competitive keywords analysis is or how to do one, there's a great thread over at SitePoint that deals with this very topic: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543721

(Intermission, what a show, intermission, don't you know, this intermission is not here to stay... sorry I needed a Monty Python style break. :p)

When you have selected the keywords you intend to target, start writing the content for your site. Don't worry about how the Web site will look or how it will be coded just yet. Instead, focus on the content. I prefer to use a word processor for this since I can mark up my headings and make formatting changes (such as bold and italicized text) visually without having to worry about using the proper markup. Organize the files by section as they'll appear on the site (about pages in the about section, products by their category, and so on). Whatever you do, do not write for the search engines. Just write naturally, keeping your keywords in mind as you're writing your page copy. The only areas I'd even worry about keyword density would be the title tag (and attribute), headings, alt="" attribute, and anchor text.

Now you can start worrying about the site's design. While it doens't have an impact on your optimization efforts (in most cases), it will help make or break your visitors' mind when they first visit the site. A good design isn't art - it's a communication tool. Make sure the design does communicates with the person using it, and that the site structure establsihed during the information architecture phase is followed through. Bring in someone to look at the design and ask them to find certain components. If they have to think about where something is, or if they guess incorrectly, chances are the design does not communicate with the user, forcing them to think about where the content is at. (This can indicate that your site may have a high bounce rate once it launches, so it's best to nip this problem in the bud before one line of code is even written.)

As soon as the design has been "signed off" and is ready for development, start working on the coding. I prefer using a header (image logo, not a heading), menu, content, sidebar(s), and footer approach to my code using clean, minimal and semantic HTML that keeps my CSS and JavaScript in separate files. My headings are used to reinforce the content that will appear on each page. H1 heading for the current page title, H2 for the major sections of that page's content, H3s through H6s (in that order) in descending importance as you go further down the line. Make sure the pages are accessible to screen readers, mobile devices (such as your cell phone) and text-only browsers like Lynx - use labels and fieldsets/legends in your forms, mark external resources as needed, and so forth.

Obviously, there are other things to do, such as configuring the Web server to deal with canonical URI issues and squash any duplicate content problems, setting up a robots.txt file and XML sitemap (don't forget the site map page that gets linked to on the site), but I'm going to presume that you already know how to do all that.

All that's left to do (for the most part) at this stage is to market and promote your site to the search engines by acquiring quality and relevant incoming links. Eric Ward's Link Building Masterclass is a wonderful resource for showing how to do that.

(And now you know why I always tell people that most of what they consider to be SEO is really just accessibility, content development, information architecture, semantic markup best practices, usability and Web server configuration. The only things that were exclusive to SEO were the keyword research and competitive keywords analysis.)

Dan Schulz, Nov 26, 2008 IP
    seo_cel and mauik like this.
  9. usamaung

usamaung Banned

Best Answers:
    If your site has good quality many other site will link to you so your PR and SERP will increase

usamaung, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  10. addlinkurl

addlinkurl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yes it does. if your site's ranking is good, people will link to your site. for example one of my site is in top 1. i checked yesterday and saw that one of the editors added the site to dmoz.org. i did not suggest the site to dmoz.

addlinkurl, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  11. altyfc

altyfc Peon

Best Answers:
    It can do, but don't over-obsess with PR.

Rankings (and quality, relevant traffic) are what you want to focus on.

altyfc, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  12. knslms

knslms Peon

Best Answers:
    Follow your users to improve page rank. You need visitors that stay on your site and view multiple pages.

knslms, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  13. Bloomtools

Bloomtools Peon

Best Answers:
    You can build quality back links then increase PR.

Bloomtools, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  14. hiretraffic

hiretraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    Link Building help a lot to get PR for your website.

hiretraffic, Nov 27, 2008 IP