1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Accidental Click

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by saurabhk, Jun 10, 2006.

today i accidentally clicked on one of my google ad units while scrolling.
    Should i inform Google about it?

saurabhk, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  2. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    One click should not matter. Make sure that you dont repeat it!

alemcherry, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  3. luq_skywalker

luq_skywalker Peon

Best Answers:
    Just in case you should inform Google about that

luq_skywalker, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yep, I have clicked on ads on my own sites a few times, it is bound to happen occasionally. I just figure that the odd click amongst 10's of thousands of clicks is not going to get you banned. My wife uses the same Ip, as does my daughter, so it is bound to happen occasionally.

That said, I am talking about like maybe 2 or 3 clicks over an 18 month period.

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 10, 2006 IP
    westhaven likes this.
  5. Zany_Jim

Zany_Jim Peon

Best Answers:
    Get your self down to your local police station and turn your self in!

Nah one click won't matter, just don't make a habit of it :)

Zany_Jim, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  6. saurabhk

saurabhk Peon

Best Answers:
    Informed them. waiting for reply.....

saurabhk, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  7. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    hardly matters... forget it man!

agnivo007, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  8. yirmumah

yirmumah Peon

Best Answers:
    I think to be on the safe side, you should always immediately notify their form e-mail of the incident so it's on record.

You might want to try out one of those browser hacks that makes adsense not appear to your IP. I tried that, but didn't like it since i like to see how the ads look live on the site--

I think the problem is when you tell your friends to click everyday, and then google sees that the same cycle of IPs are clicking everyday, I'm sure they can track visit times etc to see if you're just mass clicking for the money.

Play by the rules and build quality content, and you'll be fine!

yirmumah, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  9. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    ive accidently clicked my own ads probably on avg, 1 a week...not a big deal though....google doesnt pay me for it and i hope they wont kick me for it

ash1, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  10. auveeb

auveeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me today. I emailed 'em and they emailed me back just now:

auveeb, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  11. saurabhk

saurabhk Peon

Best Answers:
    On your advice I informed them and they banned me !!!

It has come to our attention? I mailed them and they disabled my account first time I clicked on my ads and that too accidentally? What sort of program is this? Recently I posted a reply on account reinstation to one of DP`s members now i think that i have to use the same.

saurabhk, Jun 14, 2006 IP
    VISTREL likes this.
  12. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Account disabling is algorithmic, it is co-incidence that you tell them and they ban you. chances are that it was already flagged for disabling. You say 'clicked on ADS' rather than the original one click. Please be brutally honest here and give some facts. How many clicks in total on your ads, and how many of them were yours? As I said, I have clicked on the odd ad in error, I have also bought a load of rugby tickets from a click through. FAR easier if Google just allowed advertisers to click on ads, but not pay them.

I have a busy rugby forum, the ads are spot on, I LOVE rugby, so the ads that appear are HIGHLY relevant to me. Yet I have to go through a ridiculous process to visit the sites, and to make it worse, the advertisers are NOT getting accurate data from their campaigns.

e.g. I have bought rugby leisurewear amounting to hundreds of £ , I have bought rugby tickets clocking on to £1000 ALL of these were from adwords ads on my forum. Now the advertisers might be using conversion tracking, AND as a result of the Google policy they will NOT be getting a true reflection of what adwords is doing for them.

Another downside is that my forum might lose out because of smart pricing kicking in when the reality is that the advertisers are doing quite well from it.

Goolge seriously needs to get its act together as the moment I can get MSN or Yahoo! ads on there I will be switching.

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  13. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Strange!!

Few Questions
    *How much did you have in your account, I mean $$?
    *How many times did you click on your own ads, now you can tell the truth as you are already banned.
    *Did you ask your friends/family to visit your site and/or click on your ads?
    *What is the content of the mail you sent to them?

Honestly I have clicked my ads around 10 times in past 16 months, and I always informed google about that. I got the same reply everytime as auveeb.
    I am still in. So I wonder if it was really a single click that got you banned.

Anyway try to contact google people tell them that you had informed them about the "Invalid clicks" you have made. see what they say (dont forget to attach the copy of mail you sent them earlier)

The Webmaster, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  14. saurabhk

saurabhk Peon

Best Answers:
    Just as mentioned I just had one click -accidental. In all i had about 102 clicks and $29.92 balance.

15. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    How old is your account?? What was the nature of site you had ads on?
    Google normally investigates if someone's reported you/or you reached the $100 mark.

all the cases I have heard about getting banned before reaching $100 mark were the sites violating google TOS blantly.
    Most likely you'd been violating google TOS in some way and some one reported you.

16. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the total number of clicks you have per day? If we are talking about something like 3 clicks and one is fraudulent, then it might raise some serious flag.

On another note, though this almost sounds like throwing the baby with the bath water, I do not allow AdSense to display on my computer at all. With so many family members using the computer, accidental clicks could kill me.

Ajeet, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  17. saurabhk

saurabhk Peon

Best Answers:
    *$29.92
    *Ya but i think only 3-4 clicks were there due to them.
    *Content: i just told them i had accidental click while scrolling thats it.

18. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Damn you said 102 clicks and $29.92 in total??
    dude that pretty high, on an avg 30 cents/click.

what was your site about? can you provide us your URL??

19. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not likely the result of you notifying them. Though I am puzzled by the timing. All the cases of banning I have heard so far occur at payment time. Yours seems to have happened mid month :confused:

Ajeet, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  20. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Thats it!!!

That explains the "Invalid Clicks" mystry.
    You asked your friends/family to click on your ads, and they did it repeatedly
    Google noticed clicks coming from the same IP and banned you for Invalid clicks(as they were invalid clicks, you are not supposed to ask anyone to click on your own ads)
    that sums up everything.
    you lost your cjance buddy, now move on. get in to some other ads network and do not, I repeat, do not repeat the same mistake again.
    be honest and earn honestly.