1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anybody else into Distributed Computing?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bigslowrock, Feb 10, 2005.

Just wondering if anyone else is running distributed computing programs here like seti, rc5-64, folding @ home, etc, etc.

There are alot of "goodwill" projects were the computer cycles go toward helping to develop programs and models that hopefully in the future will help ad in making medications. There are also the mathmatical type that are usually in search of primes or using brute force to solve problems. Then there are the physics types that are searching for pulsars or modeling crystal formations (chemistry)

Anyway, if you got computers that are just idling, you may want to look into a project. The stats get pretty addictting too.

(I hope this is appropriate, if not delete away!)

bigslowrock, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I use it internal to my own network for rendering video and occasionally a 3d graphic or animation sequence.

I've set up a few clusters for one reason or another too. Clustering is a whole different ball game though.

I've never seen the usefulness in the mass programs until they discovered a new prime a few months back. I just don't think the SETI project is worth it. If the aliens want to talk to us, they'll come straight over, land on a field, pick up a cow and a cooky alabaman, and proceed to perform an anal probe. We don't need SETI, we need the National Enquirer. They've produced much more fun evidence of alien activity than SETI ever will.

nevetS, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  3. bigslowrock

bigslowrock Peon

Best Answers:
  4. Haichi

Haichi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    many years back I use to be so addicted to Seti and getting more units done :D

Haichi, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I run the folding@home project on my machine.

It's always on unless I need more processing power for PS or something, but the PC runs all day with me away from it so I like to think it makes a small difference...

SEbasic, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  6. bigslowrock

bigslowrock Peon

Best Answers:
    thats cool. Who you guess crunch for? just yourself?

7. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to run distributed.net on my server and it crunched through a lot of results, but then I found out that it was causing the fan to rev constantly (because the CPU kept jumping to 99% used) so I disabled it. I've run F@H in the past, but it took so long to get one result that I gave up, tried Seti but didn't see much point and ran grub.org for a while but it caused problems with my router.

pwaring, Feb 10, 2005 IP
    Weirfire likes this.
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I'm in the powder2glass group... Not too sure how well we're doing anymore but it was quite good at one point...

SEbasic, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  9. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm doing folding@home here at my computer. additionally at both computers of my dad and his gf, plus the computers from my dad's company... it's fun :)

Hijacker, Feb 10, 2005 IP
    Weirfire likes this.
  10. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way: I found a new program, called "Gomez peer". This actually doesn't share your CPU Power, but it shares your bandwith.

This is all coming from a company, which tests availability of websites from various companies, which can sign up there and let do the tests to their site.

You, as a gomez peer user, are acting as one of the international nodes. So this company can easily check availabilites of websites from all countries in the world, with different internet connections.

The good thing is: For all that, you get paid!
    For each day, your client is running at least 2hours, you get 5cents.
    For every minute your client is processing websitetests, you get 0,05cents.
    Of course you may install it on several machines - as long as you use one and the same account for all. You may not have more than 1 account.
    They're using PayPal and e-gold for payout ($5 minimum).

If anybody is interested, check it out at:
    https://peer.gomez.com/aspx/Application.aspx?Referrer=Hijacker

My ref link is included there - would be nice to use it, if you want to join. :)

Hijacker, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  11. Refrozen

Refrozen Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually considered writing a Seti like program that would be a search engine bot... then I decided there'd be too much room for abuse.

Refrozen, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  12. Hijacker

Hijacker Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there was a SE Company, relying on such a network for their SE. They let their users spider the web ;)

Hijacker, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    The powder2glass Google toolbar/compute team is doing quite well and here are some stats - currently #4 of all Google Computer's! ;-)

Thanx for helping out SEbasic and we welcome anyone else who wants to sign up!

hulkster, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, no worries man...

Good to see we're doing so well :)

SEbasic, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  15. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in distributed computing ever since I knew about it.

I think each and every person should join it and try to help progress research.

nihangshah, Aug 16, 2007 IP